• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "linux on a samsung tab A??"

Collapse

• deeter
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    cheers, chaps, - i'll 'ave a butcher's
    I don't think there's an official LineageOS release for the Tab A, but the XDA forum are pretty good about supporting other devices

Redirect Notice

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google. It is based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, and is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Looks like Linux on a tablet is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, as you'd expect.

Linux great on a server, tulip on a user facing device.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    A few months ago I installed LineageOS onto an ancient Samsung S3 smartphone. Worked fine. I have a Sony tablet too (Xperia Z4). I might to that as well, when it gets old.
    cheers, chaps, - i'll 'ave a butcher's

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    A few months ago I installed LineageOS onto an ancient Samsung S3 smartphone. Worked fine. I have a Sony tablet too (Xperia Z4). I might to that as well, when it gets old.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    hi guys, i've inherited a tablet. - is it possible to root it and put a linux distro on?
    If so which root process is best, and what distro will work?
    or should i just stick with android?
    Have you had a look at...

https://tablet.ninja/can-you-install-linux-on-a-tablet/

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Google comes up with nothing as well so think there is your answer.
    i found lots of fragments of stuff by googling, but i had hopes for someone who had actually done it.

no worries, i'll have a hack around and see what's what.

thanks anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Google comes up with nothing as well so think there is your answer.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    hmm, i guess not then, or none of the wizzkid webdevs on here know how.
    oh, well.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    started a topic linux on a samsung tab A??

linux on a samsung tab A??

hi guys, i've inherited a tablet. - is it possible to root it and put a linux distro on?
    If so which root process is best, and what distro will work?
    or should i just stick with android?

Working...
X