• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Automotive error code readers"

Collapse

• Scruff
    replied
    I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B7L6P...395841_TE_dp_1

and the application "Torque Pro"

➤Torque Pro App OBD2 Review ✅ 2019 Edition | ScannerAnswers

It scans, reads and clears codes on two my cars - Squashed Beetle and the Scalded Cat...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    Thanks for this. I gather that the reader is so old that there isn't a download now available. However, you have confirmed that in effect the software can be wiped off. I guess my mate must have done this inadvertently.
    As mentioned, it depends on the terminal.

At a previous client they used Windows CE terminals that were so old that the original developers had gone bust and there were no source files. Delete something like that and you’re stuffed,

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Make and model would help.

The brand we use for logistics is effectively a client-side terminal that calls back to a server, and retrieves movelets depending on the participant ID. Its entirely possible to reset the device back to factory settings (ie without custom config and menus), and if your mate has resynchronised without being connected to the server then he could wipe it.

It’s usually a simple matter to reconnect with the correct participant ID and download the correct movelets again, though.
    Thanks for this. I gather that the reader is so old that there isn't a download now available. However, you have confirmed that in effect the software can be wiped off. I guess my mate must have done this inadvertently.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    well, he reckons that he was only trying to use it in the normal way. He's given it back now, so not sure he knows what make it was.
    Make and model would help.

The brand we use for logistics is effectively a client-side terminal that calls back to a server, and retrieves movelets depending on the participant ID. Its entirely possible to reset the device back to factory settings (ie without custom config and menus), and if your mate has resynchronised without being connected to the server then he could wipe it.

It’s usually a simple matter to reconnect with the correct participant ID and download the correct movelets again, though.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Ask your mate for the make and model of the reader. Then ask him what he was doing.
    well, he reckons that he was only trying to use it in the normal way. He's given it back now, so not sure he knows what make it was.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Ask your mate for the make and model of the reader. Then ask him what he was doing.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    started a topic Automotive error code readers

Automotive error code readers

I have a mate who runs a small garage business and he has a good working relationship with a local larger garage business. They occasionally share tools and expertise. My mate borrowed a code reader off the garage to try to decode an error message on a car he was working on, but couldn't get it to work properly. He handed it back to the garage who then claimed that he'd wiped off all the software. I find this difficult to understand. I would have thought that the software was read only and there wouldn't be any facility on the device to delete the software. Does anyone have any ideas?

Working...
X