• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Training

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Training"

Collapse

• truffy
    replied
    Ooh, Pluralsight is good, only knew Udemy might actually use this, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• doconline
    replied
    If you are not sure what you want to study have a look at Pluralsight and see if they have anything relevant. It's less than £300 for the year, but has a wide range of topics. Might not be as in depth as you want on a subject, but will give you an overview. Also, you could try checking out Lynda.com, now integrated into LinkedIn. Used some of their courses a few years ago and was pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm not really sure what to say to this one. You are asking us what direction to take your future career? With only a single statement about what you do? How can that help?

Remember a training course adds a certification. You don't have any demonstrable experience delivering this so next to useless when looking for work with it.

Also you'll have to look carefully in to the tax situation. If it's a new skill you won't be able to claim it as a company expense.
    Thank you for the above information NLUK, what you say about having to demonstrate experience can be correct some of the time for sure, but not all the time, I have used this method of training certification previously for a highly desirable skill/knowledge ( last time 3 years ago) and managed to land jobs in the new areas, first contract I lowered my rate for 6 months, then it became lucrative.

I didn't say I will claim from the company... but thanks for pointing that out, it would be useful for anyone else reading.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm not really sure what to say to this one. You are asking us what direction to take your future career? With only a single statement about what you do? How can that help?

Remember a training course adds a certification. You don't have any demonstrable experience delivering this so next to useless when looking for work with it.

Also you'll have to look carefully in to the tax situation. If it's a new skill you won't be able to claim it as a company expense.

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    started a topic Training

Training

I finished my contract, and would like to have a few months break (if not a whole year) a bit burnt out, during the break I' like to do some personal stuff, however am also interested in training courses to update my skills, not sure the subject yet, but am looking at jobs and see which skill is mostly desired.. I am open to which course to do atm, my background is I started as a programmer, them moved to business/data/risk analysis so been out of programming for about 10 years.

I prefer a formal training as this would look better on the CV, I looked at both technical (programming courses) and data science courses... unfortunately so far every course I find was horrendously expensive, not sure when did training become so crippling ... last training course I did about 3 years ago did cost me just under a grand, but now I find many charging between 7K to 9K !!

if you have experience of a good training companies or can recommend some formal training courses please post a reply.

Working...
X