• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Publish Gedcom files to a website"

Collapse

• al_cam
    replied
    I've been using webtrees for years.

It is a MySQL/PHP application that I just host on a /webtrees/ folder from my own Ltd website.
    Very easy to set up and nice to use. I think there are companies out there that will do the hosting bit entirely for you if you're not even slightly technical.

I also run it on my home server where I do updates and periodically export the GED file for upload to the public website.
    It's really easy to upload so you could easily do the same from your windows application.

Alternatively, you could just maintain your tree directly on the website, and indeed, could allow others to edit it as well (you can let others edit it and approve/reject changes)

Aside from the hosting it is free (although you should throw them some £ if you use it and like it)

Al.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Been thinking of doing my family tree for a while so interested to hear if you find anything. Which app do you use?

Might be interesting to try and do a ged file to proper tree diagram on a web page, should not be that difficult with jscript. Ged format seems fairly simple and done line drawing things before for kids' games.
    I am not a dev so i have no idea on how to use jscript or anything hence I was hoping for some quidance here.

At the moment I am just using a free app I found on the windows 10 store. It does the job but limits the share function that you get with online versions.

I tried a couple of online ones as well. Some that were free and allowed unlimited number of people were very basic and those that has all the features were either at a cost of limited in the number of family members and generations you could add.

I might just have to do what I can on the local app and then export the gedcom, import to one of the online versions and suck up the cost.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Been thinking of doing my family tree for a while so interested to hear if you find anything. Which app do you use?

Might be interesting to try and do a ged file to proper tree diagram on a web page, should not be that difficult with jscript. Ged format seems fairly simple and done line drawing things before for kids' games.

Leave a comment:

• Andy O
    replied
    It’s probably better if you posted this question on a family history forum.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    started a topic Publish Gedcom files to a website

Publish Gedcom files to a website

Hi
    I have started creating a family tree using a family tree app I got off the windows store (free and easy to use).
    I want to publish the family tree onto an online website (or somewhere) so that I can share it with my family for them to view. I know I can use Ancestry or one of the other big names but they cost and hoping to do this for as cheap as possible.
    I have found numerous converters to html that just convert it to static pages which list all the family members.
    What I am hoping for is for it to show as a family tree format where you can click on a person and it shows their relations etc.

Any help appreciated and hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    MU

Working...
X