• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dell Optiplex

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dell Optiplex"

Collapse

• tpsman
    replied
    Have you tried Morgan Computers?

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    its an old 2 core processor, 2G slow RAM
    it's possible if you add an SSD (£110 or so) and upgrade the PSU (£50 or so) and spend lots on a GPU.
    I'd go for something with an i5 or i7, they're old enough to be cheap secondhand.
    or build from scratch?
    You know it's still a current model right, and they've been making them with i5/i7 processors for about five years? Get a s/h Precision anyway, unless you need the SFF.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    it's possible if you add an SSD (£110 or so) and upgrade the PSU (£50 or so) and spend lots on a GPU.
    I'd go for something with an i5 or i7, they're old enough to be cheap secondhand.
    or build from scratch?
    Sorry, just saw the 'retro' bit.
    if it's Wolfenstein/ Leasure suit Larry/Dune you should be fine (need an emulator though )
    Dosbox works

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    It's retro gaming so yes.

The Optiplex is a Desktop line.
    or build from scratch?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's not.
    Unless 'gaming' involves running Jet Set Willy on a Spectrum simulator.

"Games on a laptop"?.... give me strength...
    It's retro gaming so yes.

The Optiplex is a Desktop line.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    What's wrong with e-bay?

Unfortunately sellers are mostly completely unreliable for international deliveries. DOA returns are a pain.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's not.

Games on a laptop is a different matter, there are 2 options for no performance compromise gaming on a laptop - massive hulk of a laptop with desktop GPU stuffed inside, or any Laptop with TB3 + external GPU enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    What's wrong with e-bay?

I doubt the PSU of the optiplex can handle anything but the most modest of gaming GPUs, so not sure why you think it's a good platform for gaming rig.
    It's not.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Can anyone recommend a supplier of used Optiplex's other than the tat market that is eBay?

I figure that the best way to build a budget gaming rig is an Optiplex with a Graphics card, but simply cannot be arsed withe Fleabay.

They seem to be significantly cheaper in the UK than Germany, on fleabay that is.
    What's wrong with e-bay?

I doubt the PSU of the optiplex can handle anything but the most modest of gaming GPUs, so not sure why you think it's a good platform for gaming rig.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    started a topic Dell Optiplex

Dell Optiplex

Can anyone recommend a supplier of used Optiplex's other than the tat market that is eBay?

I figure that the best way to build a budget gaming rig is an Optiplex with a Graphics card, but simply cannot be arsed withe Fleabay.

They seem to be significantly cheaper in the UK than Germany, on fleabay that is.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 19 February 2018, 15:03.

Working...
X