• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AMD or Intel

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AMD or Intel"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Just added a Nvidia 512Mb 7950 GT card to it. It goes like stink now - Will ass another couple of GB of ram to it and that should be it for a while then.

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied
    nmos ones die if you look at them wrongly. 4116s and z80s interesting. I'd even do a legitimate business transaction with them if they were interested.

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've found some of those in the stores if you want to repeat the experience.

And some z80s and 6502s...
    I'm interested in obtaining some z80a's actually and some cmos 65c02's (and any ancient SRAMs like 2114's etc). Oh and some wire wrap sockets! Name a price.

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_
    PA, your futuristic advanced computer is way beyond what I was using back in 1974 to control space probes to Saturn....

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~hl/c.Scelbi8H.html

Threaded
    Hahaha comedy. Looks like something I built a number of years ago with an 8085 at heart. It never once worked. Just made a funny burning smell and died after about 30 clocks.

Wish things were that exciting now.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_
    PA, your futuristic advanced computer is way beyond what I was using back in 1974 to control space probes to Saturn....

Threaded
    pa

I loved my Zuze Z1 when I were but a twinkle in that war criminals James T Kirks eyehttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...6f/Zuse_Z1.jpg

zeitghost

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I trump you with a Science of Cambridge Mk 14... (1978).

Threaded

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Well, from the hands played so far it looks like the pot is yours zeitghost.

The only piece of kit I had earlier (joint purchase with a mate of mine), apart various Casio calculators, was one of these Atari 2600.

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Graduated to an Amstrad CPC6128 before moving to a PC, and finally onto a mixture of Linux/PC and Mac.
    BSD2.11 on 11/780s was fun

God I'm so old, even thought I'm not old.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    I had one of these - http://www.gondolin.org.uk/hchof/machines/oric-1.html

Not much software ended up being made for them hence I started programming stuff myself at the age of 10. Thus I joined the dark side.

Graduated to an Amstrad CPC6128 before moving to a PC, and finally onto a mixture of Linux/PC and Mac.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    I traded in my ZX-80 and ZX-81 (with 16K RAM pack AND thermal printer) for a rocking Dragon 32. Quickly went to a Spectrum befroe too long then an Amstrad CPC-464.

Happy days.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    ZX-80 followed by ZX-81+16k Ram pack, the one that used to sing to you when it got warm, followed by Sharp MZ-80k ( look that one up then ) Commodore Pet, BBC Model B then into PC's...

Leave a comment:

• The Clown Beater
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    I'll raise your MK61 and PC-640, and double it with a fx-602p (older but better than the MK), and a Tandy TRS-100.

The ZX-81 I'm keeping in reserve in case one of you pulls a straight.

Ha - I built a ZX80 (when I was 7!) ... Not only that, I had a Commodore calculator (red LED) somewhere.

I now use a trusty pile of index cards and an FX-4000P programmable.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    FX-602p has got 512 steps of memory vs 105 in MK-61 there is also alpha ability in it, so it is much more advanced machine even though it was made earlier! So it's not really a raise, its lowering!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    I'll raise your MK61 and PC-640, and double it with a fx-602p (older but better than the MK), and a Tandy TRS-100.

The ZX-81 I'm keeping in reserve in case one of you pulls a straight.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Beat my MK-61 instead - 105 bytes of memory (erased after it gets turned off, so enter program before you run it all the time), almost no characters, very slow, yet the games for it were exciting - I still have my book with hand written codes for it somewhere back home... along with around 400x 5.25'' floppies

Leave a comment:

Working...
X