• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dedicated MyCo Broadband"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I actually genuinely meant it makes sense rather than being sarcastic!
    I know you did but I put in more info and realised you would have missed it.

It would normally be your accountant who would challenge you on the business BB connection. Though the only contractor I've met who had been challenged, had one BB connection for his family he was trying to put through his business...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I did an edit.
    I actually genuinely meant it makes sense rather than being sarcastic!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    makes sense
    I did an edit.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    makes sense

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Also would you have to 'prove' it was solely for business use in some way?
    Easy - I looked this up a few years ago as another contractor in my family had two lines at home and I wanted to do the same.

You just need to prove if asked that there is a home BB connection to your home address which you can use and the rest of your family use. There as the business BB isn't used by anyone else e.g. your kids unless they work for the business.

Business BB services tend to have better SLA and customer service than home broadband if it goes down, and if they do traffic shaping you have priority during normal office hours.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 9 February 2017, 17:03.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Also would you have to 'prove' it was solely for business use in some way?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I considered a 100meg synchronous leased line, free install, £260 a month but thought in the end it would be overkill, incentive for Yorkshire businesses.

If I was gonna be working from home 100% guaranteed, I'd have it, but you just can't rely on that option...

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Plus I have a couple of switches and they would need to be changed to smart ones to maintain the tagging, too much of a faff imho

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Tried VLANs and it killed a few of the services on the network, so went back to flat network

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    If you're talking WiFi, then you might be better off wiring in a cable to your man cave rather than sharing the WiFi with everyone else.

Or just change the WiFi password and promise that you're "looking into it".

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Wouldn't it be far cheaper to get a router which does QoS/VLANS and throttle the other users in office hours?

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    started a topic Dedicated MyCo Broadband

Dedicated MyCo Broadband

Do any of you have a seperate Broadband Line for their business?? Why and who?

At the moment I share the house Broadband, but I am finding speeds are getting slower with all the devices that seem to be dropping on the network.

My man cave is a seperate building to the main house so I would get it plugged in there.

Working...
X