• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another Visual Basic question - data fails XML parsing"

Collapse

• rsingh
    replied
    Can't you set the writer to encode in utf16?

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Thankfully, the client has agreed to replacing the dodgy characters with valid ones. Even I can manage to code that!

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    That's an avenue I'm exploring via a REPLACE, but it's up to the client.

I believe this is what it's doing. I'm not a SQL Server expert, but I think the character set is "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" - at least that's what I get when I run the command

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX('DBName', 'Collation') DatabaseCollation;

Is that a character set?
    It is, but collation can be specified down to column level. FWIW SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS:- Latin1-General, case-insensitive,
    accent-sensitive, kanatype-insensitive, width-insensitive for Unicode
    Data, SQL Server Sort Order 52 on Code Page 1252 for non-Unicode Data

XML in SQL Server? go use MongoDB, Postgress, nosql and leave us dbas alone

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Good idea. Do you know one?
    Not on your rate, no.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Get a decent contractor in to sort it all out.

Good idea. Do you know one?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Get a decent contractor in to sort it all out.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    You could always remove the illegal characters.
    That's an avenue I'm exploring via a REPLACE, but it's up to the client.

It says SqlException, is the data stored as XML in SQL Server, or does it write XML to SQL server and read the data from a file?
    I believe this is what it's doing. I'm not a SQL Server expert, but I think the character set is "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" - at least that's what I get when I run the command

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX('DBName', 'Collation') DatabaseCollation;

Is that a character set?

Are you explicitly informing whatever does the parsing of what the encoding of the file is? I vaguely remember once having problems with MSXML under some circumstances if I forgot to tell it the input was UTF-8.
    I'm struggling to find that in the code, but I have found a line that says

XmlTextWriter xmlTextWriter = new XmlTextWriter(stream, Encoding.UTF8);

so I assume that's where it's defined?

Apologies for my woolly answers, but I really am out of my depth.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Are you explicitly informing whatever does the parsing of what the encoding of the file is? I vaguely remember once having problems with MSXML under some circumstances if I forgot to tell it the input was UTF-8.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Not enough information.

It says SqlException, is the data stored as XML in SQL Server, or does it write XML to SQL server and read the data from a file?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    You could always remove the illegal characters.

Presumably it's some setting to do with character sets. You're meant to specify UTF-8 or whatever in the XML tag.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    I'm still waiting to come up on the Premium Bonds. Until then, this is my lot!

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    This is why I quit programming....

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
    Have you tried looking at your xml line 16, character 23?
    I can't, I'm guessing that's the position in the output file, but because the program crashes it doesn't create the output file so I can't check it. I'm certain it's one of the accented characters.

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    Have you tried looking at your xml line 16, character 23?

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    Are you still going through my code - first question is free, second incurs a fee

Leave a comment:

Working...
X