• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Laptop - Advice Please"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Thanks all for your help. Topic closed. She got an HP (with HDD boo hiss) for £699.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    One here £606 all in
    Not any more

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Not really. My comment was:

Even minus an SSD prices seem higher than I remember. The Dell Latitude 15" with a 256GB SSD came in at £1100 excl. VAT and Delivery. I have bought i5 machines for both my kids and advised many others and each time they were around £500 inc. VAT although to be fair they were 4GB RAM not 8GB.

Well the GF has gone shopping to see what she can find. My Mac Air seems good value compared to current Windows laptop prices.

EDIT: P.S. have looked and will continue to look at the Dell outlet site. Thanks for the reminder.
    One here £606 all in

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Indeed, I can't help but think the OP's question is effectively,
    "I want a £1000 laptop, but I only want to spend £500".
    Not really. My comment was:

Am I missing something? Have laptop prices gone up? I seem to remember being able to get an i5 for around £500 a few years ago.
    Even minus an SSD prices seem higher than I remember. The Dell Latitude 15" with a 256GB SSD came in at £1100 excl. VAT and Delivery. I have bought i5 machines for both my kids and advised many others and each time they were around £500 inc. VAT although to be fair they were 4GB RAM not 8GB.

Well the GF has gone shopping to see what she can find. My Mac Air seems good value compared to current Windows laptop prices.

EDIT: P.S. have looked and will continue to look at the Dell outlet site. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And we are back to post 2 of this thread. For a laptop on a budget when you don't care about brand but do care about quality the best option is dell outlet's business machines...
    Indeed, I can't help but think the OP's question is effectively,
    "I want a £1000 laptop, but I only want to spend £500".

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    ^This, also my biggest beef with cheapo laptops is the screen resolution. 1366 x 768 is absolute tulip and lower than most high end phones.

s/h and outlet stores are probably your best bet for the price band mentioned.
    And we are back to post 2 of this thread.

For a laptop on a budget when you don't care about brand but do care about quality the best option is dell outlet's business machines...

There were 14 and 15 inch models over the weekend with a 1920x1080 screen i5 processor and an ssd for less than £500 ex vat...

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    It all depends on usage of course, but for an i5 with 8gb ram SSD is the most important upgrade, not processor or memory. It also saves battery life.
    ^This, also my biggest beef with cheapo laptops is the screen resolution. 1366 x 768 is absolute tulip and lower than most high end phones.

s/h and outlet stores are probably your best bet for the price band mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Outlet store?

Being a cheapskate I have a s/h M3800 I bought off Ebay; essentially a £2K laptop for £750 with half the warranty left. I was able to sell my old i7 XPS15 for £250.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    It all depends on usage of course, but for an i5 with 8gb ram SSD is the most important upgrade, not processor or memory. It also saves battery life.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Thanks, but that in the zone she doesn't want to pay
    Then no SSD.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    She wants you to buy her laptop for more than she'd spend herself...

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    around 750 ex VAT

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Asus is very close to anus....

Got Fujitsu (?) laptop livebook - 8 Gb RAM, SSD,15" screen - battery life is excellent, spent couole of hours in taverna and still 7-8 hours left

Check it out on ebuyer - around 750 ex VAT

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I've had three Asus laptops, including current one with i7 and 16GB RAM. Super stable, never failed or crashed.

I only buy ASUS now.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Have had a couple of Acers with no problem at all.
    Well perhaps I should consider Acer then. I'm afraid I've always thought of them as being a bit shoddy but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. Tx.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X