• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Any TFS experts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any TFS experts"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I think my client uses something similar to the Github branching methodology, which is fairly simple (release branch(es), dev branch, feature branches).

The simpler dev/main/release setup can also work just fine depending on how big and active the project is. You want people able to commit their work so it doesn't get lost, without the annoyance of half-done work breaking the build, so for me larger tasks suit a feature-branch well.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Regarding branching/merging strategy this may help give you an idea of the options. I've used some of their stuff when setting up a strategy for merging/branching.

Version Control Guide (ex-Branching & Merging) - Downloads

A common approach is to have a dev, main and release(s) branches.

Work in dev, then merge to main. Dev is deployed to your dev area, main is deployed to your test area.

People can continue to develop in the dev branch whilst main is left alone and is ready for proper testing.

When you are happy you can then deploy to production from main and create a release branch. Hotfixes are made in your release branch and merged down to main/dev. Some clients have staging areas others use the test area as staging.

A good tool for merging is Beyond Compare. I recommend this tool!
    A good guide for integrating it with Visual Studio..

I've recommended Pluralsight before but I've not used any of their TFS vids. Check em out.
    Cheers fella, looks good, just what I need to refresh the memory

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Need a quick refresher on TFS, specifically around Branching and Merging code, anyone know any good online references?
    Regarding branching/merging strategy this may help give you an idea of the options. I've used some of their stuff when setting up a strategy for merging/branching.

Version Control Guide (ex-Branching & Merging) - Downloads

A common approach is to have a dev, main and release(s) branches.

Work in dev, then merge to main. Dev is deployed to your dev area, main is deployed to your test area.

People can continue to develop in the dev branch whilst main is left alone and is ready for proper testing.

When you are happy you can then deploy to production from main and create a release branch. Hotfixes are made in your release branch and merged down to main/dev. Some clients have staging areas others use the test area as staging.

A good tool for merging is Beyond Compare. I recommend this tool!
    A good guide for integrating it with Visual Studio..

I've recommended Pluralsight before but I've not used any of their TFS vids. Check em out.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Any TFS experts

Potential client has TFS, can't change it, need someone to get to grips with their source code repository before moving onto change, release and implementation (where my expertise is).

Administered TFS a few years back but was a single stream of work so need to know the fundamentals of branching and merging

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    TFS is in some ways very nice, but I do dislike its branching and merging implementation - that every branch has to be stored separately in your working copy for instance.

That said, I find it less of a PITA to get to grips with than Git/Hg. Did you have any specific questions?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

So easy with Git with it being a DVCS rather than centralised, if you have the opportunity to switch, do it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    started a topic Any TFS experts

Any TFS experts

Need a quick refresher on TFS, specifically around Branching and Merging code, anyone know any good online references?

Working...
X