• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Macrium Reflect or something else?"

Collapse

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    All you penguin hugers are unable to realise the simple truth that Linux is not suitable for the average person and will never be. It's not superior to all other OSes so please stop preaching.
    Linux would be one solution, but not necessarily the best solution here, (OP is going with Win7/RAM upgrade, which will be fine IMO). Linux is known to work well on old hardware due to its small memory requirements. Nobody is arguing/preaching. Just pick the best tools for the job, circumstance and preference.

Leave a comment:

• kyber
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    All you penguin hugers are unable to realise the simple truth that Linux is not suitable for the average person and will never be. It's not superior to all other OSes so please stop preaching.

Chromebooks are freaks of nature that should be left to die quietly in the corner or better yet put down.
    Wow! It is really not worth trying to argue against such prejudice.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by kyber View Post
    I'd been inclined to replace with an efficient and Windows-look-alike Linux distribution and lock down admin rights so the son does not mess it up again - although he will likely be less inclined on a Linux build. Will be much faster and more reliable.

** EDIT ** or replace with a Chromebook, assuming he has decent internet access.

Chromebooks are freaks of nature that should be left to die quietly in the corner or better yet put down.

Leave a comment:

• kyber
    replied
    I'd be inclined to replace with an efficient and Windows-look-alike Linux distribution and lock down admin rights so the son does not mess it up again - although he will likely be less inclined on a Linux build. Will be much faster and more reliable.

** EDIT ** or replace with a Chromebook, assuming he has decent internet access.
    Last edited by kyber; 23 August 2015, 07:41.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    As a result of last night...
    1. Got paid for a couple of hours work.
    2. They are happy to spend money on RAM - I'll be ordering that today
    3. Got told off by the wife for coming in 2 hours later than I'd told her (possibly related to point 1 )

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Going back to the orginal question, if you want to tart up the old pig.

Crap Cleaner for a scan, Avast for Anti Virus and replace IE with Chrome to stop more juck being installed again

I've run CCleaner, they are already using Chrome and they have bought Kaspersky.

Might go and have a chat with them tonight about spending cash on some more RAM.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Going back to the orginal question, if you want to tart up the old pig.

Crap Cleaner for a scan, Avast for Anti Virus and replace IE with Chrome to stop more juck being installed again

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    A others already stated - you can't put a lipstick on a pig...

If it's only for e-mail, what's so slow? If it's for browsing - newsflash now days a lot of websites are memory heavy some tabs on my chrome are 200MB+ so the argument 2GB is enough for web and e-mail is not necessary valid.

Most software that claims to "speed up" a computer only makes it worse. Clean Win7 install is good enough and for Antivirus use Microsoft security essentials or w/e it's called today - it ain't perfect but doesn't rape the PCs resources either. 2GB of RAM is like £10 new and probably a fiver on e-bay, 32 GB SSD is £30, installing them 4-6 pints, and after that the laptop will fly

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    2 GB is really a bit to small for any version of Windows since XP. Windows 7 will run in there provided not too much background stuff going on. You don't need a new laptop, just upgrade the mem to 3 or 4 GB. Or be prepared to regularly "clean up" the laptop.

Or you could put Linux on there. Not trying to start an argument but if letters and surfing are all it is used for, it could work. There will be strangeness for the landlord, but on the upside no viruses/popups and little or no need for virus scanners and security systems. It might also keep the son off, or have the opposite effect.
    Zorin. Zorin OS - Home

I put it on my son's old laptop.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    2 GB is really a bit to small for any version of Windows since XP. Windows 7 will run in there provided not too much background stuff going on. You don't need a new laptop, just upgrade the mem to 3 or 4 GB. Or be prepared to regularly "clean up" the laptop.

Or you could put Linux on there. Not trying to start an argument but if letters and surfing are all it is used for, it could work. There will be strangeness for the landlord, but on the upside no viruses/popups and little or no need for virus scanners and security systems. It might also keep the son off, or have the opposite effect.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I'm helping a friend (the pub landlord) to get their laptop running a bit faster, and having done a lot of tidying up I'm going to wipe the drive and restore it.
    In the past I've used Macrium Reflect.

Is there any other software out there you'd recommend for the job.

HP/Compaq laptop, 2GB RAM, Win 7, 250GB HDD with 80GB used on the main partition and two other restore partitions each < 20GB.
    If you do an image and restore, you will be restoring the same, like for like?

Better rebuild from fresh on SSD after making up RAM to 4GB and use Ninite to install the common applications in one hit.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'd recommend a RAM upgrade and an SSD or even better a newer laptop.

Refurb Dell i5 with 8 gb RAM.

Dell Latitude E6520, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB SATA, DVDRW, 15.6" 1366x768, Europc 90 Days RTB Warranty 115162

£264 inc VAT

I would recommend new gear too, but it's really only used for email and the odd letter.
    Most of the performance issues were down to the son ("He knows a lot about computers") installing two antivirus/firewall/security systems. He also installed teamviewer and had it running in the background so he could connect to the laptop when he was away from home. And he told them not to switch the laptop off, because it runs better if it's left on all the time.
    Son is away on holiday, they asked me to take a look at why it was so slow.

Previous landlord, I helped them out (but that was about removing the pron their son downloaded) and they paid my tab 3 pints per hour.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'd recommend a RAM upgrade and an SSD or even better a newer laptop.

Refurb Dell i5 with 8 gb RAM.

Dell Latitude E6520, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB SATA, DVDRW, 15.6" 1366x768, Europc 90 Days RTB Warranty 115162

£264 inc VAT

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    started a topic Macrium Reflect or something else?

Macrium Reflect or something else?

I'm helping a friend (the pub landlord) to get their laptop running a bit faster, and having done a lot of tidying up I'm going to wipe the drive and restore it.
    In the past I've used Macrium Reflect.

Is there any other software out there you'd recommend for the job.

HP/Compaq laptop, 2GB RAM, Win 7, 250GB HDD with 80GB used on the main partition and two other restore partitions each < 20GB.

Working...
X