• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Raspberry PI without the Desktop?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Beaglebone Black is the new Raspberry Pi.

Yocto will roll your own distro.

There may be more suityable answers once the requirements have been fully stated.
    Beaglebone-black is under-powered compared with the Raspi 2.

OP, try installing Ubuntu, you have the option to later install a desktop.

Spod.

Leave a comment:

• kyber
    replied
    Take a look on the Raspian site where there are various images available, including (in most cases) descriptions of how they went about putting a particular image together.

https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianImages

To boot to command line instead of desktop on the standard build, open a terminal and run raspi-config where you will find an option to not load the graphical desktop. (Or you can edit the init files directly.)

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    IIRC there is an option when you do the initial config to boot to command line only.

Edit : here https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...aspi-config.md

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Is it possible to have a PI just boot into a command line based programming shell? Syntax highlighting in a black screen. Basic Linux shell underneath for file operations.

Is there a basic distro for this or will I have to roll my own?
    Beaglebone Black is the new Raspberry Pi.

Yocto will roll your own distro.

There may be more suityable answers once the requirements have been fully stated.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    You can switch it on or off whenever you want. I can't remember how I did it but something along these lines:

Boot without starting X-server

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    The default raspbian they suggest you download gives you a choice in the installer whether to have the gui or not.

Leave a comment:

• MasterBlaster
    replied
    Raspberry PI without the Desktop?

Yes there is.

Have a look at Arch: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi

That's a basic distro that gives you a shell. You'll need to install your ide of choice and any compilers you need.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Raspberry PI without the Desktop?

Raspberry PI without the Desktop?

Is it possible to have a PI just boot into a command line based programming shell? Syntax highlighting in a black screen. Basic Linux shell underneath for file operations.

Is there a basic distro for this or will I have to roll my own?

Working...
X