• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IE compatibility mode (?) issue"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    And?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Getting there.
    With client for testing - I'm going for a run while the sun's out!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Might that SO comment about the placement of the compat mode <meta> tag have any bearing?
    No, it is the first thing after <head>

It seems to work for 99% of it - it's just this one little niggle that I need to resolve.

Getting there.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Thanks - I can possibly set the registry key on the dev server (and am tempted to do so just to see whether it fixes it) but it seems very unlikely I'll be able to do that on their end clients' machines (the ultimate users). It's taken 5 months and 3 site visits to get one large clients' test server upgraded from IE8
    Might that SO comment about the placement of the compat mode <meta> tag have any bearing?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Thanks - I can possibly set the registry key on the dev server (and am tempted to do so just to see whether it fixes it) but it seems very unlikely I'll be able to do that on their end clients' machines (the ultimate users). It's taken 5 months and 3 site visits to get one large clients' test server upgraded from IE8

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Also, looky here: com - How to put the WebBrowser control into IE9 into standards? - Stack Overflow

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    This may be relevant, though as it involves setting a registry key it probably won't actually help: Web Browser Control &ndash; Specifying the IE Version - Rick Strahl's Web Log

But I found it by Googling mshtml compatibility mode (mshtml being the old-fashioned name for the Web Browser Control used by desktop apps) so a similar search might throw up something helpful.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The weird thing about <select> in IE is that it wasn't really implemented in the browser until IE7 (IIRC) - before that, it used the equivalent Windows native control. This caused various bugs such as it ignoring z-index, because it was basically an independent window contained within the browser window. But when they implemented it as a browser control, they were starting from scratch, so it's had years less time to have bugs ironed out than the rest of the browser. This business of clicking the scrollbar causing it to fire "blur" sounds like just that kind of thing.

The idea of wrapping it in a div and delegating all the event handlers to there sounds like a good starting point. You may end up having to keep track of a fair bit of state yourself though. Pay particular attention to keyboard navigation, to get things like tabbing into and out of it, with and without selecting and scrolling, working in a manner consistent with the expected behaviour.

Good luck!
    Thanks Nick - will go down that route. Probably don't have to worry too much about all the other crap - the multi appears when the user clicks in the text box above it, and disappears when the multi loses focus. Just a PITA that it works nicely standalone, and I don't appear to be able to convince the application that I am running an uptodate incarnation of IE.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The weird thing about <select> in IE is that it wasn't really implemented in the browser until IE7 (IIRC) - before that, it used the equivalent Windows native control. This caused various bugs such as it ignoring z-index, because it was basically an independent window contained within the browser window. But when they implemented it as a browser control, they were starting from scratch, so it's had years less time to have bugs ironed out than the rest of the browser. This business of clicking the scrollbar causing it to fire "blur" sounds like just that kind of thing.

The idea of wrapping it in a div and delegating all the event handlers to there sounds like a good starting point. You may end up having to keep track of a fair bit of state yourself though. Pay particular attention to keyboard navigation, to get things like tabbing into and out of it, with and without selecting and scrolling, working in a manner consistent with the expected behaviour.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Do you mean the browser is built in to the application? Like a .Net webview thing? It's been ages since I've done .Net so I'm sure someone can be more helpful about that side of it. Also, why does it matter which browser is installed on the server? Isn't it particular to the machine that's running the app?
    The application is a desktop app - run off a central server (although I think it can be run locally) I have no idea how the browser within the application works, but it uses whatever's installed on the machine the application is running on. Application is Cognos Controller if that gives any clues to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    THis sounds like a similar problem

javascript - IE 10 - div with scrollbar fires blur event causing it to hide (custom code) - Stack Overflow

Might see if I can adapt their 'flagclick' code. Or stick my listbox in a div and add the events to that. Manyana...

Although it would be nice if it just fecking worked!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Do you mean the browser is built in to the application? Like a .Net webview thing? It's been ages since I've done .Net so I'm sure someone can be more helpful about that side of it. Also, why does it matter which browser is installed on the server? Isn't it particular to the machine that's running the app?

I'm trying to picture how it's working but I'm getting confused

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Other relevant info -

the scrollbar on the multi-select looks different running in the standalone browser

Standalone (works)

In the application (broken)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    started a topic IE compatibility mode (?) issue

IE compatibility mode (?) issue

Working on a browser app for client.

Basically, their (3rd party) application allows them to specify a start page URL.

My app is specified as the 3rd party URL.

They don't believe that they can change the browser that the application is using, so we're stuck with whatever version of IE is installed on the server.

On their dev server, we've got IE11.

When it runs within their application, it 'thinks' it's IE7 as demonstrated by setting

https://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.asp

as the start page URL

So I've managed to get round of most of the issues by adding:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />

However, one issue remains, and I'm not convinced it's even a compatibility thing, as when I run IE11 in 7 compatibility mode I don't get the same issue.

I've got a (.net) list box <asp:ListBox> which is rendered as <select size="12" multiple="multiple">

I've got some very basic styling - width (which may possibly be relevant, although removing it doesn't appear to help)

The problem:

WHen running in the application, scrolling seems to fire the blur event. But only when you've selected something - so if you simply scroll up and down, all is dandy. If you click the first item, then scroll (for example, to multi select), the blur event fires.

This is making it virtually unusable in the way they need to use it. Have played with it, but have limited ability to install stuff on their servers, and I can't run their application on mine. Works beautifully in the standalone browser.

Any ideas?

Working...
X