• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where to sell an iphone"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    Sorry, I just read this. Was that a reply to my question, or to the original post?

If it is to my question, what do you mean with "charge". Transfer that amount of money from the business account to my personal account, which concept? And is there something to do with depreciation, or doesn't apply?

And in any case, is this going to raise any concerns with HMRC? I don't really want to mess up things just for maybe £250...

Thanks.
    Your post.

Second hand phones have depreciation in their sale price e.g. they are a percentage of the new price.

You need to be able to prove if questioned, that your business brought the iPhone at market rate for it's condition. So getting a sold price of eBay for exactly the same model is one way of doing so. Obviously you don't want to take the p*iss so getting a couple of prices and taking the average would do.

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Find out how much 2nd hand iPhones cost by looking at websites like eBay.

Print out and save some of the ads.

Then charge yourself that price.
    Sorry, I just read this. Was that a reply to my question, or to the original post?

If it is to my question, what do you mean with "charge". Transfer that amount of money from the business account to my personal account, which concept? And is there something to do with depreciation, or doesn't apply?

And in any case, is this going to raise any concerns with HMRC? I don't really want to mess up things just for maybe £250...

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Find out how much 2nd hand iPhones cost by looking at websites like eBay.

Print out and save some of the ads.

Then charge yourself that price.

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Maybe a stupid question but I too have now a spare 5S that started using with an extra SIM for recruiters/agencies spam calls (not giving away my main phone number).

Can I somehow "sell" this spare phone to my own company, if that makes any sense, as is now used for business purposes? Is this something people do or it is too much hassle?

Edit: BTW, I'm in a similar situation with my laptop, purchased time ago, before having my LtdCo, and being used mainly for business purpose (but also a bit of personal use). I'm holding on buying a new one in the next few months, so not sure if it makes sense selling this to my company, but I'm aware it is several years old so not sure it is worth it.
    Last edited by AnotherGuy; 29 March 2015, 13:13. Reason: added laptop note

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I have gotten much better prices selling on eBay and never had any problems... but I don't sell to people with no/bad rep.

Of course the hassle has to be measured, if you earn £80/hr it's probably not worth it

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    But surely for an extra 20 quid, it's well worth the risk, right
    Deffo mate. I'll pay by Paypal and collect in person if you don't mind....

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    And be mindful of the massive number of scammers that pray on decent mobiles for sale.
    How did these people pray before mobiles were invented?

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    And be mindful of the massive number of scammers that pray on decent mobiles for sale.
    But surely for an extra 20 quid, it's well worth the risk, right

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    It's the 16GB Silver 5S version.

The value sites show £185 from Mazuma (cash). Will have a look on ebay to see what the average auction price is.

Appreciate the offers to purchase it, however, my wife's xperia seems to be playing up. I've just ordered a OnePlus One, so will she if she wants that or the 5S - and if the 5S is still up for grabs I'll be back.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    How many GB is it?
    It's the 16GB Silver 5S version.

The value sites show £185 from Mazuma (cash). Will have a look on ebay to see what the average auction price is.

Appreciate the offers to purchase it, however, my wife's xperia seems to be playing up. I've just ordered a OnePlus One, so will she if she wants that or the 5S - and if the 5S is still up for grabs I'll be back.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Fine a local facebay or "Items for Sale" FB group and flog it on there.

Or CUK

How many GB is it?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The one I linked to. But it seems to be the exact same tool embedded in a web-page rather than standalone.
    Strange, because when I try it via your link, the valuations are presented from the non-MSE website.

Probably a different browser or something if yours gives the results on MSE.com and mine doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The one I linked to. But it seems to be the exact same tool embedded in a web-page rather than standalone.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How am I supposed to know a totally different URL is the same site?
    What site gave you the valuation that indicated £200 was a good price? Was it MSE or was it the one I linked to?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    KUATB - see post 2
    How am I supposed to know a totally different URL is the same site?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X