• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "High-end desktop Windows PC"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Tuned to work well....

I remember building PC's on the 2000's bought two Pentium three Mitsubishi Apricots, although lower spec in every way, they out-performed the homebuilds no problem. I put that down to time spent by Mitsubishi tuning parts - maybe I was wrong...

Miss them - gave them away....

I think that's what Apple do - not State of the Art, but tuned....
    I think the Apple marketing department are the best in the world!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I looked at the spec and looks like an average processor/cores, ok mobile graphics card. Not sure about the ssd cant remember. Is it also limited to 16gb?
    Tuned to work well....

I remember building PC's on the 2000's bought two Pentium three Mitsubishi Apricots, although lower spec in every way, they out-performed the homebuilds no problem. I put that down to time spent by Mitsubishi tuning parts - maybe I was wrong...

Miss them - gave them away....

I think that's what Apple do - not State of the Art, but tuned....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Hate to say it but Unix is right. It's what I am considering next time I need to get a new machine. Whole dev environment that you can pick up and take with you. I have my sites in git and work locally via a local linux box, going mac would let me have the whole lot in one bundle. Seriously tempted. The only thing holding me back is only upgraded to this machine a year or two ago and it is more than fast enough and just can't justify £2K solely on making me portable, especially as I only work from two locations as it is.
    I looked at the spec and looks like an average processor/cores, ok mobile graphics card. Not sure about the ssd cant remember. Is it also limited to 16gb?

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Hate to say it but Unix is right. It's what I am considering next time I need to get a new machine. Whole dev environment that you can pick up and take with you. I have my sites in git and work locally via a local linux box, going mac would let me have the whole lot in one bundle. Seriously tempted. The only thing holding me back is only upgraded to this machine a year or two ago and it is more than fast enough and just can't justify £2K solely on making me portable, especially as I only work from two locations as it is.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Get a MacBook Pro top spec 15 ince, it's as powerful as any PC you can build, retina display and you can run Windows using Parallels or Bootcamp. You can also hook up displays.

It's the best computing device ever, anyone that disagrees with that is clueless.
    This isnt general, stop it with the idiotic posts.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Get a MacBook Pro top spec 15 ince, it's as powerful as any PC you can build, retina display and you can run Windows using Parallels or Bootcamp. You can also hook up displays.

It's the best computing device ever, anyone that disagrees with that is clueless.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Going out on a limb thinking that I'm not unusual in studying or working in the evening. I quite like the Surface wish I bought it rather than the Lenovo Helix, it struggles to power 3 monitors, can do it but if you watch netflix brings the system to a halt.
    The surface 3 really looks like a monster of a machine especially if you go to the top end of the price range.

As much as I love my Samsung new series 9 which is a great laptop with a boot up of 5 seconds, I want a surface 3.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Not your requirement but a year ago I researched and bought a fairly high end laptop. I found that for all the bells and whistles, together with the oomph, you have to lean towards "gaming" hardware, as platypus mentioned. Even though I don't play games.

The laptop has 1920x1080 panel and I use it with 2 external monitors at similar resolution. 16 Gb RAM/1 TB disk, quad core i7 Haswell. About £730 at saveonlaptops.

9S7-16GD11-1408, MSI CX61 2PF-1408UK, 3203713416 - Save on Laptops

One thing I regret is not getting an SSD, but on the upside the disk is 7.2K, rather than the 5.5K usually found in domestic kit. Also I would have liked displayport for running more external monitors.

Runs Linux Mint 17 like a boss.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Most contractors here work on site...
    Going out on a limb thinking that I'm not unusual in studying or working in the evening. I quite like the Surface wish I bought it rather than the Lenovo Helix, it struggles to power 3 monitors, can do it but if you watch netflix brings the system to a halt.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Most contractors here work on site...

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Unless you're doing something fairly unusual, you don't need a high-end PC, especially if a PC that pre-dates USB2 has been good enough (I doubt this, are you sure?) Even cheap PCs are very powerful indeed now and I'd be focusing on SSD and a nice chunk of RAM, not that RAM is pricey either.
    Well it's a contractor forum with lots of IT people around so I guess it's not that unusual for technical people to want a high end PC. A fast processor with multiple cores is important to me, should help with build times as I can assign more cores to the build. A fast SSD will make a major improvement for me also. Running VM's needs a fair bit of memory and if you running multiple monitors helps to have a good card. Especially with 4/5k monitors becoming more affordable.

I guess if you want to run the odd game on it also helps if it's a decent spec

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Didn't you see the "high end" requirement?
    You might be surprised, though it's hardly the most cost-effective route

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm not sure I fully agree. I now run 3 monitors driven from a pair of high(ish) end Nvidea cards. The cards are large and need a case large enough to accommodate them and a PSU with enough umph to drive them, so the gaming case I have allows for that. So in retrospect, I'm glad that I went for an "over the top" spec as it's allowed me to grow the system through the additional of 3 additional HDDs and the additional video card since purchase.

I'm no expert, just speaking from experience.
    Well yes, but do you need a pair of high-ish end graphics cards just to drive 3 monitors? I doubt it, can't you normally buy previous-gen chipsets repackaged in a low-power, low-profile card as the technology moves on? What used to need a mains-power fan will probably be in the next iPad

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    A high-end PC would normally include a fancy graphics card and unless you're a gamer or into GPGPU/CUDA/etc you won't need that. A bog-standard i7 with a big SSD and 16-32Gb RAM would be night and day to any pre-SSD PC.

Nice dual monitors are awesome but they are separate to the PC in my book, i.e. you refresh your PC and monitors in different cycles.
    I'm not sure I fully agree. I now run 3 monitors driven from a pair of high(ish) end Nvidea cards. The cards are large and need a case large enough to accommodate them and a PSU with enough umph to drive them, so the gaming case I have allows for that. So in retrospect, I'm glad that I went for an "over the top" spec as it's allowed me to grow the system through the additional of 3 additional HDDs and the additional video card since purchase.

I'm no expert, just speaking from experience.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Surface 3 i7
    Didn't you see the "high end" requirement?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Unless you're doing something fairly unusual, you don't need a high-end PC, especially if a PC that pre-dates USB2 has been good enough (I doubt this, are you sure?) Even cheap PCs are very powerful indeed now and I'd be focusing on SSD and a nice chunk of RAM, not that RAM is pricey either.

A high-end PC would normally include a fancy graphics card and unless you're a gamer or into GPGPU/CUDA/etc you won't need that. A bog-standard i7 with a big SSD and 16-32Gb RAM would be night and day to any pre-SSD PC.

Nice dual monitors are awesome but they are separate to the PC in my book, i.e. you refresh your PC and monitors in different cycles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X