• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what ways to remote desktop from work to my home pc?"

Collapse

• ThomserveBAS
    replied
    Depends how complex a solution you can cope with to achieve this. I use 2x Remote Application Server using their HTML5 server/client. From a modern browser (I use Chrome) - I can access a suite of published applications or simply launch into a full desktop - all over port 443.

This does have quite a few dependencies though, and mine is run in a "lab" setup that I've used to teach myself AD/RDS etc. so has a domain controller, and various RDS hosts in the setup to serve up the remote desktop configuration.

Works great for me

HTML5 Client in Chrome:
    Last edited by ThomserveBAS; 16 September 2014, 15:02.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Teamviewer ?
    same issue as logmein & splashtop

ah well, might go the portable vm route

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Teamviewer ?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    VPN is always allowable and justifiable, server side a doddle to set up for the average techie (three weeks of pain and £5000 over budget and then canned in the end for the average PM, and 'Whats a VPN' from the average BA), since I do actually have four VPN connections (and four different VPN apps) on my work lappy, one to my home rig won't matter!
    Ditto. I have a VPN server on my Asus Router which allows me to connect to my home network.

Took all of ten minutes to set up with no PM or BA required.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    WGAF.

I have remoted into home to do dev work from a client when they paid me to "wait" for work to be given, I also had sky on the second monitor.
    Oh.. Goodie. We can chat about D&C and MoO.

Not giving a **** is being stupid.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    VPN is always allowable and justifiable, server side a doddle to set up for the average techie (three weeks of pain and £5000 over budget and then canned in the end for the average PM, and 'Whats a VPN' from the average BA), since I do actually have four VPN connections (and four different VPN apps) on my work lappy, one to my home rig won't matter!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I know I will get flamed but again, does this not tell you something and trying to bypass what they are trying to stop is a professional thing to do on a clients site how?
    WGAF.

I have remoted into home to do dev work from a client when they paid me to "wait" for work to be given, I also had sky on the second monitor.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    My Client is pretty much relaxed with internet usage....
    ... I think the ports are blocked. The safari browser plugin for it worked for a bit before it got blocked too ...
    I have a feeling that the security software blocks all known proxies and remote desktop providers ....
    Pretty relaxed?? But actively monitoring and blocking.....

FFS Do you know what you have made me do????

Agree with NLUK!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I have Just tried chrome + logmein from the browser.

It only gets so far and I just get a spinning cycle without it connecting (it is using port 443).

I suspect the same issue will happen with any client app installed of the pc.

I have a feeling that the security software blocks all known proxies and remote desktop providers ....

just out of curiosity is it not possible to route the traffic via a personal domain using a https connection?.
    I know I will get flamed but again, does this not tell you something and trying to bypass what they are trying to stop is a professional thing to do on a clients site how?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    This is pretty common to be fair

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    I have Just tried chrome + logmein from the browser.

It only gets so far and I just get a spinning cycle without it connecting (it is using port 443).

I suspect the same issue will happen with any client app installed of the pc.

just out of curiosity is it not possible to route the traffic via a personal domain using a https connection?.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I use LogMeIn and it works nicely with Chrome. Although I'm not a regular user.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And your clients policy on this is? If it's an issue you being on it on you ipad it's going to be even more of an issue if you are doing it on their kit surely?
    My Client is pretty much relaxed with internet usage, Its just that I would like to be a bit more productive with my free time than watching American tv series on my Ipad.

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    I'm experimenting with Chrome remote desktop at present.

Free rather than the paid options from LogMeIn and GoToMyPC, but not as quick being browser based.
    LogMein which I have free access to never worked on my work pc ... I think the ports are blocked. The safari browser plugin for it worked for a bit before it got blocked too ... I'll try Chrome remote today to see if it works though I doubt it since all out web traffic is outed via a proxy ...

Originally posted by stek View Post
    I use Oracle Secure Global Desktop, all over port 443, there is (or was) and iPad client too but with a browser it's fine too on the desktop.
    1st time hearing of the product but that requires installation which i am not keen on. Is there are standalone app for this?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    i currently remote desktop from my ipad to my home pc with the splashptop.

it not so subtle when my eyes are glued to ipad on the desk at work. so was wondering if there is a way to connect via web browser on the work pc

cheers
    I use Oracle Secure Global Desktop, all over port 443, there is (or was) and iPad client too but with a browser it's fine too on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    I'm experimenting with Chrome remote desktop at present.

Free rather than the paid options from LogMeIn and GoToMyPC, but not as quick being browser based.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X