• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Please explain CNAME to me"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Thanks, guys. A VPS sounds fun would would be more aggro for me in this case where I'm just trying to help a local business with their website. I'm not looking for a sysadmin job with them!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    You have to be careful tho, I got one to errr, route stuff through, didn't think it through, and due to errr, traffic my 7 Euro a month VPS cost me 200 Euro that month.

Forgot about the meagre bandwidth allowance...

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Yeah got it a couple of years ago I think. It has 512MB RAM and can see you can get cheaper but it has 5 IP addresses so keeping hold of it

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    What's a VPS ?
    WsS. An internet hosted virtual machine with full admin access, a.k.a. 'root', to install whatever software you want and configure it how you want.

The VM is on shared hardware, but (unlike shared hosting) the VM itself is yours with its own IP address(es) and semi-guaranteed resources. VPSs are typically "unmanaged" which means it's your responsibility to administer the OS and installed packages, and fix stuff when it goes wrong. Cost from $15/yr. - $100/mo. depending upon CPU/memory/disk space/bandwidth.

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    I have one that costs me £3.50 per month for routing - erm, things - through
    Wow that much, huh.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Aye, if you are only hosting a few little sites and want to learn some hackery then get a Low End Box:
    uk – Low End Box

I have one that costs me £3.50 per month for routing - erm, things - through

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    What's a VPS ?
    Virtual Private Server I think - basically a VM on an Hypervisor in DC somewhere.....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    With a VPS you could do all the hackin' you like.
    What's a VPS ?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Easyspace ... they tell me they can't hack httpd.conf since that's under the control of the provisioning system. But they can set me up another 'zone' and will do the needful to get what I want working.
    With a VPS you could do all the hackin' you like.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Cool, now how are you managing the hosting? Do you have CPanel or something?
    Easyspace ... they tell me they can't hack httpd.conf since that's under the control of the provisioning system. But they can set me up another 'zone' and will do the needful to get what I want working.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Thanks, yes this confirms that it's the virtual host config that's at issue.
    Cool, now how are you managing the hosting? Do you have CPanel or something?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Ping www.mydomain.com and note the IP. Then ping banana.mydomain.com - if it's the same IP then DNS is fine and, as above, you need to sort the Virtual Host config.
    Thanks, yes this confirms that it's the virtual host config that's at issue.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Ping www.mydomain.com and note the IP. Then ping banana.mydomain.com - if it's the same IP then DNS is fine and, as above, you need to sort the Virtual Host config.

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Are you sure you're pointing the CNAME correctly?
    Check what www is pointing to and just setup banana the same.

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    I'd agree with Kirk, it will most likely already have a virtualhost directive pointing at www.mydomain.com. The problem is your browser is connecting to the server and asking for the page at banana.mydomain.com and the web server has no idea which of the virtual hosts that is.

Ask them to add a serveralias for banana.mydomain.com to your current virtual host.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Maybe wait for DNS to propogate. Might be fairly quick nowadays tho...
    Thanks, but that isn't it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X