• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: West Ham wierdness

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "West Ham wierdness"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964

I don't know if this one is a West Ham supporter or not.

Looks more like Milwall to me

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied

I don't know if this one is a West Ham supporter or not.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    I know no-one who supports West Ham, but I know one bloke who supports Charlton Athletic and one guy I used to work with years ago was a fanatical Crystal Palce supporter.

This is not merely weird... it defies all logic.

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Just met another one (West Ham fan) and his name is Alan.

There goes my theory.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    The only two West Ham supporters at my school were both called Chris. I used to think that was weird.

Leave a comment:

• walkerrobin
    replied
    Singalong to West Ham

Ch ch check it:

http://lists.nakedbrent.com/

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Wasn't that a Michael Jackson song?

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Why do West Ham fans sing I'm forever blowing bubbles ?

OR...

It was not until around the mid-1920s that the tune was probably adopted by West Ham United supporters, but doubtless it had been heard at the Boleyn Ground in one form or another since the beginning of that decade. The circumstances of it being sung by the fans for the first time were somewhat unusual to say the least.

At the time, schoolboy soccer was extremely popular and there were often 1,000 or more fans around the touchlines of pitches in the West Ham area when matches took place on Saturday mornings between teams of 14-year-olds (the school leaving age at the time). During that era the County Borough of West Ham, as it was known before its amalgamation with the County Borough of East Ham some four decades later into the London Borough of Newham, had many more schools than it has at present. The West Ham Schools' League was divided into sections with Championship play-offs at the end of the season. One of the West Ham Champions was Park School - situated in Ham Park Road - near West Ham Park in the Upton area of the Borough. Park School was so successful that it was able to field seven or eight teams each week at different age levels. Its headmaster was a Mr. Cornelius Beal who was a great football enthusiast, and a friend of the then West Ham United trainer and subsequent Manager - Charlie Paynter.

"Corney" Beal also had a talent for music and rhymes and wrote special words to the tune of "Bubbles" and when any player of the Park School was having a good game the spectators would mention him by name in a parody of the tune. These ditties were a form of predecessor to the terrace chants that became popular many years later.

And No I'm a Chelsea Fan........................
    Last edited by Phoenix; 15 June 2006, 14:01.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    Why do West Ham fans sing I'm forever blowing bubbles ?

In a letter to the local Beckton Gas Works "Pensioners' Bulletin" magazine during 1983 by a former employer who recalled that for a period of time (around the 1920s to 1930s presumably) the Company Band "were engaged by the West Ham United Football Club to play for 20 minutes before the kick-off and 10 minutes at the interval." He added: "We played "Bubbles" and it very quickly became a favourite with the crowd. If we did not play "Bubbles" the crowd would sing it - so we always played it just before the kick-off."

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    weird
    weirdness

I know two people called Simon, and they're both called Simon.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Who the **** are west ham?

Leave a comment:

• G8_Summit
    replied
    I once had some of Simon West's ham.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I once shared a house in West Ham with a bloke called Simon.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    How odd. I only know one West Ham supporter and he is called Simon. He is only 5'4 though.

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    started a topic West Ham wierdness

West Ham wierdness

I know only two people who support West Ham and they're both well over 6' tall and they're both called Simon.

Wierd eh ?

PS Why do West Ham fans sing I'm forever blowing bubbles ?

Working...
X