• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: contract clause

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contract clause"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Surely QDOS or the like will tell you the score when you get it checked properly?

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    started a topic contract clause

contract clause

I received a contract from a consultancy containing the following clause.

"If it is determined by the Consultancy that the Engagement falls within scope of IR35 any payment due to the Company shall be payable by the third party nominated by the Consultancy or directly by the Consultancy subject to the third party or the Consultancy deducting all applicable taxes (including any national insurance contributions) required by law or any other fees charged by the third party. For the avoidance of doubt, if requested, the Company shall be required to enter into a separate contract with the third party in relation to payment, deduction of applicable taxes and other fees. the Consultancy shall not be liable for any losses whatsoever and howsoever arising from IR35."

'the Company' is my LTD.
    This is a SOW based contract via a consultancy to a public sector client. Consultancy says the gig is outside IR35.

The previous clauses talk about this 'third party' and how they're going to carry out an IR35 assessment, and my LTD is going to pay for it. Sounds like they're one of those companies that issues an SDS backed by insurance.

What I can't figure out is what is going on with 'their' liability if they suddenly determine the contract falls inside IR35 or there is an enquiry. It sort of reads like they're looking to claw that out of me in a roundabout way. I though the law was pretty clear here that the contractors LTD will not be liable for this, however the clause is talking about any payments due to my LTD being made by the third party, and they'll be making deductions for NI taxes and fees. Seems fishy.

From a slightly more positive angle it looks like maybe they're 'not' trying to dodge their tax liability (say if it was tens of £K's or more because that would be too late and already paid to my LTD) but perhaps they're just talking about recognising their mistake and "from this day forth" deducting the appropriate taxes for inside IR35 working.

What does the panel think?
    Last edited by CheeseSlice; 8 February 2021, 22:50.

Working...
X