• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 concerns and help?"

Collapse

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Any contract can be changed. Make a list of things that you think are not right and how should be amended and present to the client. Be polite and describe why you need these changes and how it will affect the relationship for better.
    Client of course can say take it or leave it.

Hi, thanks yeah, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment.
    Fingers crossed it works out ok, just don't want to get caught inside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Originally posted by slidingaround View Post
    Im just starting out and trying to stay outside of IR35.
    The client gave me a contract but the terminology could put me inside of IR35 so im amending it, that's the reason why i joined this forum really, so i could get to grips with IR35.
    Any contract can be changed. Make a list of things that you think are not right and how should be amended and present to the client. Be polite and describe why you need these changes and how it will affect the relationship for better.
    Client of course can say take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sometimes the client creates one, sometimes you have to provide it.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Super, what’s your IR35 status ?

I would use the clients contract

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Im just starting out and trying to stay outside of IR35.
    The client gave me a contract but the terminology could put me inside of IR35 so im amending it, that's the reason why i joined this forum really, so i could get to grips with IR35.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I don't have a middle man as such.
    I have started a company providing a service to another company (client) direct.
    Sometimes the client creates one, sometimes you have to provide it.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I have started a company providing a service to another company (client) direct.
    Super, what’s your IR35 status ?

I would use the clients contract

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    The agent who is the middle man gives you the contract

You never give the end client the contact unless he is a one man band also

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Another thing i was just wondering, what's the general practice with contracts?
    Is it normally the contractor that provides the contract or the client you're doing work for?
    The agent who is the middle man gives you the contract

You never give the end client the contact unless he is a one man band also

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Another thing i was just wondering, what's the general practice with contracts?
    Is it normally the contractor that provides the contract or the client you're doing work for?

Leave a comment:

• Ricky@IntouchAccounting
    replied
    Thanks, some good points i will consider when reviewing the contract.
    Not a problem. And wish you all the best on the start of your contracting career.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    TLC35
    Professional Indemnity
    Public Liability
    Jury Service cover

I'd put the £8.50 per month towards that instead.
    Its that price if your paying the £8.50 i think.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    TLC35
    Professional Indemnity
    Public Liability
    Jury Service cover

I'd put the £8.50 per month towards that instead.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you joined IPSE, you would still need to pay for a contract review. Not all of their insurances may be relevant to you, so be wary of buying something you don't need.

I didn't realise Qdos had a membership thing going, I thought it was just contract reviews and insurances.
    Yes maybe they don't, i just had a quick skim through. I spoke with someone on the phone at IPSE and they said if your a member, even basic, the contract review is £58.80 that gets reviewed in 3-5 days or £72 for same business day.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Welcome to CUK.

Congratulations on your first offer of a contract. In these times, count yourself amongst the lucky, and that your talent has been spotted.

Each contract is assessed on its own merits, and the actual working practices once you have started.

My personal recommendation is QDOS, as I can't see the benefits of being an IPSE member, any longer (this is not based on their "headline advantages" but on their Articles of Association and use of Members' funds). I am sure that there are others who will reply to the contrary.

QDOS's reviews are second to none, and I always have each contract (and renewal offer) assessed.
    Thanks.
    I've ended up just getting the basic IPSE membership, it was only #8.50 or something a month and it gave me access to draft contracts i can look at to get this contract done and dusted.

What specifically would you recommend from QDOS?
    I had a quick look through and there were quite a few add-ons that really started mounting up which i weren't sure i actually needed.

Leave a comment:

• slidingaround
    replied
    Originally posted by Ricky@IntouchAccounting View Post
    The thing to bear in mind when it comes to IR35, is that IR35 relates to each individual role. So each role will have its own risk for IR35.

Here are the key factors you would need to consider;

1. Personal Service * if the contract requires that you must personally provide services there is a stronger suggestion towards IR35. However, if you can send a substitute or subcontract some of your work that is another matter and is often considered the strongest argument against IR35, although it must be a genuine right and not merely an ability to offer a substitute.

2. Supervision, Direction and Control * this considers how, when and where the work is carried out and the degree of full autonomy over the work to be done. The greater the autonomy the more likely the contract will be seen as outside IR35. But if you are told how to do it and work, in many respects, in a controlled or supervised manner it is more indicative that IR35 is a risk.

3. Mutuality of Obligation (MOO) * this relates to the extent you are obliged to carry out any work offered to you or whether the client is obliged to offer you work outside the scope of the contract. Where those obligations are limited entirely to the work set out in the contract this is suggestive that IR35 will not apply.

4. Financial Risk * consideration is also given to the degree of financial risk and whether the contract confers a degree of risk beyond that normally expected of an employee or the contract offers opportunities to profit from your own skill. Examples would include a requirement to correct defective work at your own expense; the risk of claims against you for damages or penalties; any requirements for professional indemnity insurance; or the ability for the contract to be more profitable by efficient working.
    Thanks, some good points i will consider when reviewing the contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X