• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Draft IR35 Legislation Published"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
    I've been wondering about this

Post April, should these 'contractor responsible for any unpaid taxes' clauses be taken out of the new contract, and are they enforceable if they stay in ?

I was going to wait to see if still in and run it by QDOS when it becomes relevant
    I would hazard not enforceable bit I wouldn't put any money on it. I would still get my contacts reviewed even if taking an inside role, too.

Leave a comment:

• jk3838
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've seen some contract clauses saying the contractor will indemnify the agency/client against any claims for unpaid taxes. Not sure how enforceable they are and I would be prepared to quote any legalisation that gets passed to have such clauses removed.

These are for the current state of play, it'll be interesting to see if those clauses change once the legislation is issued.
    I've been wondering about this

Post April, should these 'contractor responsible for any unpaid taxes' clauses be taken out of the new contract, and are they enforceable if they stay in ?

I was going to wait to see if still in and run it by QDOS when it becomes relevant

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
    Why the second "no"? If my "employer" has paid all ENIC, IT and NIC then the monies paid to me under the new rules are employment income and so not subject to CT or DT.
    It isn’t employment income, it’s a deemed payment that wasn’t applied properly for which the fee payer is liable (in the first instance). YourCo treated the income correctly, which means that CT was paid on profits and any personal taxes when payments were made to persons.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've seen some contract clauses saying the contractor will indemnify the agency/client against any claims for unpaid taxes. Not sure how enforceable they are and I would be prepared to quote any legalisation that gets passed to have such clauses removed.

These are for the current state of play, it'll be interesting to see if those clauses change once the legislation is issued.
    A contract can say pretty much anything, but I’m also skeptical that such clauses would be enforceable. Even if they were, the supply chain above the PSC would get milked first (fee payer, ordinarily) and it may not survive that.

Leave a comment:

• DrStrange
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    No, they won’t and No

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    On the first "no"", is an outside assignment essentially then a guarantee from future issues, as any FTT will only affect the client or agent?

Are they allowed to include any indemnities that they can pass it back to contractor?

Why the second "no"? If my "employer" has paid all ENIC, IT and NIC then the monies paid to me under the new rules are employment income and so not subject to CT or DT.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    No, they won’t and No

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• DrStrange
    replied
    Has anything changed with respect to liability if an "outside" status is later proved "inside"? I.e. is there any chance the client or agent can force any liability back to the contractor?

On a separate point, say a contractor earns £100k from a contract everyone thought was outside but is now inside after FTT. Let's assume client agrees and so pays the ENIC, PAYE and NIC.

Can contractor then reclaim any CT or Div Tax, given the £100k is actually now "net wages"?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Because if you are an off-payroll worker on PAYE (so inside) YourCo won't be doing the RTI's
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    Not sure I understand this. The RTI submission for MyCo is made by my accountants and this info clearly wouldn't show any links to the client. So can someone explain what this means?
    Because if you are an off-payroll worker on PAYE (so inside) YourCo won't be doing the RTI's

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Not sure I understand this. The RTI submission for MyCo is made by my accountants and this info clearly wouldn't show any links to the client. So can someone explain what this means?

It's for the poor sods who end up as an inside IR35 contractor - i.e. paid on the permie payroll, paying the exact same tax and NI but with zero rights. - as mentioned, this is so HMRC can brag about how much "extra" they have collected. It is for the cleintcos (and there are some) aiming to pay inside IR35 contractors through the cleintco payroll.

This won't affect anyone remaining outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    No time today to read in detail but has anyone looked at whether the part about "no realistic prospect of recovery" can be used to transfer liability from foreign clients to the PSC?

Because they certainly have no realistic prospect of recovering payments from my current clients....
    I think this needs a close read. My quick scan last night suggested recovery from the fee payer first, then the next highest in the chain that isn’t the client. It didn’t seem like the two ends of the chain were within scope. But, again, it needs a close read, ideally by an expert (not me).

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    No time today to read in detail but has anyone looked at whether the part about "no realistic prospect of recovery" can be used to transfer liability from foreign clients to the PSC?

Because they certainly have no realistic prospect of recovering payments from my current clients....

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's not aimed at you, it's aimed at the fee payers so HMRC have some figures to wave in triumph about the number of "disguised employees" they've forced onto PAYE.
    I guess an upsurge in RTI submissions from agencies/clients would give HMRC that perception, but there would be an equivalent downturn in submissions from accountants. Whatever, HMRC will spin it as they please.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It's not aimed at you, it's aimed at the fee payers so HMRC have some figures to wave in triumph about the number of "disguised employees" they've forced onto PAYE.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X