• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Offered a 1 year extension..."

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    Anyone fancy a holiday in March 2020?

Seems like there will be a lot of people free that month
    And possibly the month before depending on their payment schedules.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied

As long as Brexit does not screw the market it looks like the Agent's will be lining their pockets in the new year. I might join them, for the new year, anyone have some spare hair gel and fake tan?

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No.
    mmm, pity!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    has anyone in the public sector attempted to challenge this anywhere?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Completely wrong. It will be caught by the legislation regardless of when you worked it. Its the payment that counts.

IR35: reform extended to the private sector - WTT Consulting
    has anyone in the public sector attempted to challenge this anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• CryingSheep
    replied
    Great information, as I was going to get my contract extended only to end of March(if I don't move). Weekly paid, but still means I need to look at the middle of March at the latest.
    Usually you get paid 28 days after, make sure you take that into account...

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied
    Completely wrong. It will be caught by the legislation regardless of when you worked it. Its the payment that counts.

Great information, as I was going to get my contract extended only to end of March(if I don't move). Weekly paid, but still means I need to look at the middle of March at the latest.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    What he said ^^^^^

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Why does a payment after the 5th of April make a difference? I've sorted out my contract until the 3rd april so assumed that would be a nice clean cut. My thinking was that the contract is assessed as outside/inside Ir35 and the contract ends on 3rd April. Surely the payment date is irrelevant?

HMRC’s published guidance claims that the legislation will apply to contracts entered into or payments made on or after 6 April 2020. Even if your contract finishes in March 2020, if you do not receive payment until June 2020, the legislation will apply. If the role is deemed to be within IR35, tax and national insurance contributions are required to be paid – by the fee payer – at rates equivalent to an employee.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 August 2019, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    This.

December 31st comes from some people thinking that you will have been assessed between Jan and March, but my date would have been around the middle/end of Feb depending on timesheet submission.

You do not want any payments going through the April payroll, and staying on beyond 6th March may well do that.
    Why does a payment after the 5th of April make a difference? I've sorted out my contract until the 3rd april so assumed that would be a nice clean cut. My thinking was that the contract is assessed as outside/inside Ir35 and the contract ends on 3rd April. Surely the payment date is irrelevant?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Correct but not really either. Without knowing it could be one or the other or a mess in between. The fact he's been offered a 1 year extension for a role they'll take him on as a permie isn't as black and white as I made it I'll grant you but that sets alarm bells off for me big time, particularly with the 2020 coming up. Maybe he doesn't know the determination but, IMO, he certainly should be working a little harder than your average bod to make sure he knows his own status, is keeping it so and is collecting the evidence.
    All you are saying is the offer might possibly fit with inside scenarios, which is obviously true. But if the inside scenarios are there the offer is irrelevant and if they aren't there and HMRC bring to tribunal that he's been offered a permie job they'll end up quite embarrassed. It just really isn't an indicator at all.

Yes, if the 1 year extension is to move him around to different projects after this one is done, or makes him part and parcel it's a problem. If it is just because it is a long project and they value his skills on it, the extension means nothing for IR35 and neither does the job offer.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by man View Post
    That's exactly it (apart from the "I'm very good bit" - I don't say that out loud ).
    Ah, but you must do so if HMRC come calling.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Not really.

'Sure, they offered me a perm job. I'm very good and they wanted to keep me after this project is finished, so they offered me a perm job so that they'd have the ability to move me to different tasks. They can't do that while I'm running an independent business and just contracted for this project.'
    Correct but not really either. Without knowing it could be one or the other or a mess in between. The fact he's been offered a 1 year extension for a role they'll take him on as a permie isn't as black and white as I made it I'll grant you but that sets alarm bells off for me big time, particularly with the 2020 coming up. Maybe he doesn't know the determination but, IMO, he certainly should be working a little harder than your average bod to make sure he knows his own status, is keeping it so and is collecting the evidence.

Leave a comment:

• man
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Not really.

'Sure, they offered me a perm job. I'm very good and they wanted to keep me after this project is finished, so they offered me a perm job so that they'd have the ability to move me to different tasks. They can't do that while I'm running an independent business and just contracted for this project.'
    That's exactly it (apart from the "I'm very good bit" - I don't say that out loud ).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X