• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "an IR35 example for discussion"

Collapse

• breaktwister
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Read them and understand what they were trying to do. It's relevant to your point. You can't come on here with your stupid ideas and not have a clue about what's gone on before.
    There is enough complication and complexity with the current landscape without reading crap that is obsolete. I can guess what HMRC were trying to do, force contractors onto payrolls.

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    this is a massive grey area and Joe is in a very awkward position. Have you checked if there are any precedents for this and what the case law dictated the outcome/determination to be?
    I don't have any examples off-hand but I have read that HMRC have lost more cases than they have won when trying to claim contractors were "deemed employees/inside IR35". I will look for more case law on the points on how they lost.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    IR35 is tested on a contract-by-contract basis though - you could have two concurrent contracts, one inside and one outside.
    I do this at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    (yawn)

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    Please provide a link to case law which supports your assertion.

Thanks
    I certainly will dig some out and post later. The principle is that the Courts will look at the overall picture of whether an individual holds himself out as being in business on his own account and not the narrow view of the world through the eyes of one of his clients. So SDC would be one element, but certainly not the only element. For example, one such element could be if a consultant has a website offering his services, if he employs others as per my example, if he has multiple clients. These are all totally ignored by HMRC in their guidance as it doesn't fit into their plan to push this all onto the end-clients.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
    Are you really that stupid that I need to explain my points multiple times? The approach that you have just outlined is AN INCORRECT LEGAL TEST. Read some case law and you will realise.

I admit I don't know about all aspects of tax and employment law, but I know enough to ask for help in filling in the gaps.

You on the other hand, don't know half as much as you make out so you should pipe down sometimes.

Let me ask you this - do you think Joe is in business on his own account - do you think a Court would deem him to be an employee of the client?
    You still don't get it do you?

Employment law and tax law aren't completely aligned in the various UK legal jurisdictions.

So in the UK an employment tribunal and court can determine that you whether you are employee, worker or whatever, but HMRC can make a different determination.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    You must not have read much of the case law, or understood it, if you think that a single role-based analysis is enough to determine employment status, especially when a contractor has multiple clients, either concurrently or within a short period of time.
    IR35 is tested on a contract-by-contract basis though - you could have two concurrent contracts, one inside and one outside.

That said, proving that you are in business of your own account is also good; this is a massive grey area and Joe is in a very awkward position. Have you checked if there are any precedents for this and what the case law dictated the outcome/determination to be?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Let me ask you this - do you think Joe is in business on his own account - do you think a Court would deem him to be an employee of the client?
    Yes and yes.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Are you really that stupid that I need to explain my points multiple times? The approach that you have just outlined is AN INCORRECT LEGAL TEST. Read some case law and you will realise.

I admit I don't know about all aspects of tax and employment law, but I know enough to ask for help in filling in the gaps.

You on the other hand, don't know half as much as you make out so you should pipe down sometimes.

You are just proving yourself to be beyond a total muppet now.

Please desist.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No I don't but it seems they were withdrawn. They were probably incorrect if HMRC latest guidance is anything to go by. Your point is?
    Read them and understand what they were trying to do. It's relevant to your point. You can't come on here with your stupid ideas and not have a clue about what's gone on before. The number of times you've posted some rubbish and someone has referred you to something else that's related/already done/exists I thought you'd have learnt by now.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Please provide a link to case law which supports your assertion.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied

Do you remember the Business Entity Tests?
    No I don't but it seems they were withdrawn. They were probably incorrect if HMRC latest guidance is anything to go by. Your point is?

Leave a comment:

• breaktwister
    replied
    The answer is no. You can have multiple contracts and IR35 will consider each.

Last edited by breaktwister; 23 February 2017, 12:08.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    A director IS an employee of that company.

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself
    No they aren't - they are an officer of the company.

If you are an employee then you must be paid NMW and get employment rights - which means that you would either need to not work full time, lie about the hours that you do work, or pay yourself more than the basic rate threshold which is not tax efficient.

Granted, there won't be an investigation because you aren't going to report yourself, but just because you're a director doesn't mean that you are an employee of the company. I am a non executive director of more than one company, yet I am an employee of none of them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Once again, you miss the bigger and more important points. Looking at the facts, does anyone think that a Court will hold Joe as an "hidden employee" of the client? It is very clear that Joe is operating a business and the client is a business client and not his employer. The fact that HMRC has a set of guidance/tool that spits out a "hidden employee inside IR35" determination in contradiction of the actual legal position is the point.

I have heard people on here say "working practice trumps contract" but the overall question of "is this individual in business on his own account" trumps working practice.
    The answer is no. You can have multiple contracts and IR35 will consider each.

Do you remember the Business Entity Tests?

I miss the point because. I just can't see what you are trying to prove while you are thrashing blindly about. You are trying to make arguments up to convince MPs but are still asking ill researched questions like T&S one in the other thread.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 February 2017, 22:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X