• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC Enquiry Letters for Choice Premier / Berwick Associates/ Runnymede Services"

Collapse

• Concernedlc
    replied
    https://financeandtax.decisions.trib....aspx?id=11996

https://financeandtax.decisions.trib....aspx?id=11267

looks like HMRC are 2-0.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by tasee70 View Post
    Has anyone manage to speak to Mike Kerridge. I have tried calling and emailing but no response. HMRC deadline of 27 July is approaching fast. Are there any alternative for Berwick associates cases who could pursue the cases with HMRC. I am just worried that we gave so much money to Kerridge but he is not responding at the end.
    Anyone with any information or alternatives please help.
    Oh dear. Another scam? There has to be a book written one day about all this.

Leave a comment:

• tasee70
    replied
    not sure if this is the time to switch to https://wttconsulting.co.uk/ as there is no response from Mike Kerridge. Someone could please advise

Leave a comment:

• tasee70
    replied
    Has anyone manage to speak to Mike Kerridge. I have tried calling and emailing but no response. HMRC deadline of 27 July is approaching fast. Are there any alternative for Berwick associates cases who could pursue the cases with HMRC. I am just worried that we gave so much money to Kerridge but he is not responding at the end.
    Anyone with any information or alternatives please help.

Leave a comment:

• Concernedlc
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    2 options

1. HMRC caved in, he won and you missed the update in your emails and you can sleep easy

2. He has done a runner

What is your money on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Unfortunately I'd say 2. I'm sure if he had won then there would have been another invoice in my inbox

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Concernedlc View Post
    Not wanting to put my head in the lions mouth - but has anyone heard from Kerridge since early this year. It seems that I along with a lot of other people have given him thousands of pounds to defend schemes that he had a hand in advising on and now he seems to have gone awol. He's not answering his phone and his companies are no longer at their registered addresses.
    2 options

1. HMRC caved in, he won and you missed the update in your emails and you can sleep easy

2. He has done a runner

What is your money on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Concernedlc
    replied
    Contact with Kerridge etc

Not wanting to put my head in the lions mouth - but has anyone heard from Kerridge since early this year. It seems that I along with a lot of other people have given him thousands of pounds to defend schemes that he had a hand in advising on and now he seems to have gone awol. He's not answering his phone and his companies are no longer at their registered addresses.

Leave a comment:

• Specsgalore
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Several posts have been removed from this thread while we investigate any facts behind them.
    More than 2 weeks since a number of posts were removed and still no explanation? Any chance of an update from the mod or admin?

Leave a comment:

• Centrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Specsgalore View Post
    the user 'mjkberwickexposed' no longer exists, so perhaps that's what it's all connected with as he did make some strong statements?
    The user name is actually 'berwickmjkexposed' and it does still exist. However, his/her post like everyone else's for weeks back has disappeared without explanation. I too will happily provide the Administrator with facts if asked, like the mid-2011 promotional 'press releases' produced by the accountant (not CP) that told us the Berwick scheme was all fully legit and set out all the benefits. For some strange reason though, there was absolutely zero mention of risks? It's interesting that only yesterday HMRC published a paper making it clear that, from December 2010 onwards, through Budget statements and official information releases it was really starting to clamp down on the use of 'disguised remuneration' schemes and, in particular, the use of loans as a replacement for remuneration. The Berwick scheme, for those who don't know or can't remember, was formed in early-2011.......

In answer to previous postings on the subject of making complaints to regulators, here are links you may find useful:

https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...018.ashx?la=en (for ICAEW)

Guidance for the Public | The Taxation Disciplinary Board (for CIoT)
    Last edited by Centrick; 15 March 2019, 00:56.

Leave a comment:

• Specsgalore
    replied
    Originally posted by Centrick View Post
    How is that going to be done please? After all, it rather depends who you ask as to what you get back by way of 'facts'........
    One user has told me he's got screenshots of the whole thread (for some reason of another) and remarks the user 'mjkberwickexposed' no longer exists, so perhaps that's what it's all connected with as he did make some strong statements? Anyway, don't see why everyone else's posts were taken down and I'm happy for the mods to check facts with me if they want! Hope this site doesn't become like RT.......

Leave a comment:

• Centrick
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    ....posts have been removed.......while we investigate any facts.....
    How is that going to be done please? After all, it rather depends who you ask as to what you get back by way of 'facts'........
    Last edited by Centrick; 14 March 2019, 17:44.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Several posts have been removed from this thread while we investigate any facts behind them.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Post deleted at request.
    Last edited by webberg; 20 January 2019, 10:17.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    My name has been mentioned and I'll respond to the points that I can.

Mis-selling. Of what? You had an opinion as to the tax effects of the arrangements. You had no guarantee that they would work as claimed.

Even if you could show that you placed reliance upon the opinion of a (in this case) professional, were you that professional's client? I suggest not. I suggest that you were a person buying a product rather than a person buying a professional service in which that professional has to adhere to minimum standards and could be sued for giving negligent advice.

Negligent advice can be given only to a client to whom a duty of care is owed. You were not. You were buying a product and the professional gave an opinion to whomever owned that product. That may have been a connected party (even him/herself) but the opinion belonged to the owner and you had no legal rights if you relied upon it.

Whether you had moral or ethical rights is not a question I can answer.

In terms of HMRC powers to go after the "creator/promoter", there are none.

Rules around the penalties that can be visited upon promoters of schemes that fail were introduced only a few years ago. Even then the process is long. When does a scheme fail? Is it when HMRC raise an enquiry? Is it when you pay an APN? Is it when a Judge says so. The first point is a year from submitting a tax return, the second, perhaps 3 years, the third perhaps 10 years. What benefit do you get from such penalties? None.

HMRC does have powers to move against employers. They have blatantly failed to do that in many cases (you cite Berwick being "allowed" to be struck off - I don't know why that was permitted).

It is a harsh truth but you bought a product that depended upon a tax opinion which in turn you have no legal rights to sue over, should it be wrong.

You bought an opinion. A Judge would say that a reasonable man would have executed a degree of due diligence and background checking when you were spending a year, 2 years, 3 years salary on an opinion. Perhaps seeking an independent view from a suitable professional. (If you did and were not warned about the risks, then you have a prima facie case against that second opinion).

Leave a comment:

• Axeman
    replied
    I didn't find much in the way of mis-selling ammo last night but I did find and number of emails along the lines of "you will have seen the new legislation that is being introduced to counter the use of .... as a result we are winding down this arrangement."

The clear conclusion being that the arrangements DID WORK - whatever Stride tries to claim - and were being picked off by tactical legislation year on year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X