• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC Enquiries for EBT Loans from Cascade London"

Collapse

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by spudtaylor11 View Post
    Hi All can anyone please give me a telephone number or web address for Hamilton Trust the EBT provider I have received the dreaded demand and need to contact them to appeal
    Spud
    That's not the right way to go about this. You should speak to whoever introduced you to the scheme (I guess the company whose name appears in the title of this thread).
    What you want to make is a representation, not an appeal. APN offer no possibility of appeal.

Leave a comment:

• spudtaylor11
    replied
    Need to contact Hamilton Trust

Hi All can anyone please give me a telephone number or web address for Hamilton Trust the EBT provider I have received the dreaded demand and need to contact them to appeal

thanks a million

Spud

Leave a comment:

• flamel
    replied
    Originally posted by xar18 View Post
    Hi all - does anyone have a ballpark figure for the amount hmrc are asking for? I have seen the accrued interest calculator, but is there a rough figure for the base amount they believe is owed? i.e. 40% plus interest?

I have a discovery letter only, but want to get a rough idea of what might be coming

Thanks!
    No comment

Leave a comment:

• xar18
    replied
    Hi all - does anyone have a ballpark figure for the amount hmrc are asking for? I have seen the accrued interest calculator, but is there a rough figure for the base amount they believe is owed? i.e. 40% plus interest?

I have a discovery letter only, but want to get a rough idea of what might be coming

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Michael J Perry FCA
    replied
    HMRC

HMRC are still in the process of issuing assessments (this latest round began in August 2013) to ensure there is an open appeal or enquiry in place which will enable them to implement the new proposed legislation relating to the issue of Failure and Payment notices with penalties for late payment or non-compliance.

You have been warned, so prepare now.

Also, send a letter to your Member of Parliament objecting to these proposals.

Leave a comment:

• InnaZ
    replied
    A year on

hi guys,

I have just received a similar letter (Feb 2014) and was wondering where you have got with the actions mentioned above?

Did anyone pay, or appeal?

Do let me know

Inna

Leave a comment:

• flamel
    replied
    Dear all

Just a reminder that this weekend is your last chance to respond to the proposed legislation on ‘Tackling marketed tax avoidance’.

As you probably know, the Government intends to introduce an accelerated payment measure which will give HMRC the power to link your tax affairs to another person's case and demand money up front, with no right of appeal.

If HMRC are granted these powers, it will allow them to demand almost immediate payment of disputed tax before you have had the chance to have your case heard at the tax tribunal (FTT).

If you do one thing this weekend, be sure to spend 10 minutes firing off an email to ask that these proposals are rejected. This is your last chance, so don't bury your heads in the sand!

See here for exact instructions... Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

With apologies and many thanks to everyone who has already responded!

Regards

Santa

Leave a comment:

• costo
    replied
    Help Needed

It's hard to know if the majority of people who are reading this thread are affected or not, regardless of if you are or are not affected your support in this matter is urgently needed.

What is being proposed in the consultancy document gives HMRC powers that allow them to judge people "guilty until proven innocent" and force money to be paid without any court hearing. Could you imagine if you suddenly got a bill for more money than you could possibly afford, that you would be forced to sell your family home or go bankrupt? If you have children can you imagine how this will affect them, when they have done nothing wrong?

If you can empathise, please please take just 5 mins to help us (final date to respond is the 24th of Feb), we need as many people to object to what is being proposed as possible - the last document (Raising the stakes on Tax Avoidance) only 31 people responded (most of those professional bodies), we need many many more.

The letter NTRT guys have put together can be used a template (or even just sign it and send it in)

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

If you were in the situation some of us were in, would you not want to ask everyone possible to help?

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Template letter for responding to HMRC consultation

NTRT have prepared a template letter for people to respond to the consultation. Please alter it in your own words.

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

Some people will say it won't count if everyone sends similar letters but HMRC will have to report to the Minister how many responses they got. So every letter does count.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Nagesh
    Hi .. anybody settled with HMRC or anybody got case closer or any conclusion?
    You'll get no reply here. Read the 1st post on this thread to see what's happening.

Leave a comment:

• Michael J Perry FCA
    replied
    HMRC

Originally posted by bandemelbs View Post
    Just a quick question. I've been sent a letter by HMRC reminding me to complete a tax return for the tax year ending April 2013.

This does not make any sense as I've not lived or worked in the UK since late 2008 & submitted my P85 when I left the country. A call to the muppets at HMRC was an exercise in frustration, unanswered questions & about $5 in Skype call costs.

Why are they asking for this now when I've been long gone & have not submitted anything for other previous tax years?
    You have to be careful with this one and the deadline for submission is Friday 31/01/14!

You can ask HMRC to cancel the Notice to Complete a Tax Return - for guidance see:

HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page

But, they may have other information about you for 2012/13 or earlier years more likely.

Leave a comment:

• bandemelbs
    replied
    General question

Just a quick question. I've been sent a letter by HMRC reminding me to complete a tax return for the tax year ending April 2013.

This does not make any sense as I've not lived or worked in the UK since late 2008 & submitted my P85 when I left the country. A call to the muppets at HMRC was an exercise in frustration, unanswered questions & about $5 in Skype call costs.

Why are they asking for this now when I've been long gone & have not submitted anything for other previous tax years?

Leave a comment:

• bubble99
    replied
    Hi guys - I used cascade/penfolds in 08/09 but never got a letter and have no bill on my self assessment portal..... have I been lucky? is there some kind of time limit after which they can't contact me about that period?

cheers

Leave a comment:

• costo
    replied
    Guys,

You don't need admin rights to join the group - simply send a email to the address on the first post, we have a process in place to get people added to the group.

Costo

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    replied
    Hello
    I've had the HMRC letter, please could I get admin rights too.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X