• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Loans write off and APNs"

Collapse

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
    The reality is that you won't be able to find out whether a deduction has already been claimed without involving HMRC.

But whether or not Edge Consulting has claimed the deduction is not the question. That it is whether it is "deductible" and you'd need to understand the full facts and then analyse the scheme from a tax perspective to find out whether it is. My view of the reality is that remuneration is deductible in almost all circumstances (there is a question of when it is deductible). For example, have a look at some of the recent GAAR panel decisions where the panel says "this dodgy scheme doesn't work, the amount is taxable on the employee and so deductible for the employer".
    Edge Consulting became Redstone. You can still email Redstone and ask the questions. Whilst they admit to knowing nothing if you push them they seem to be able to find out the information for you. I have an email. [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Iliketax
    replied
    Originally posted by Ozbird View Post
    How can I find that out? The employer was Edge Consulting and they no longer exist.
    The reality is that you won't be able to find out whether a deduction has already been claimed without involving HMRC.

But whether or not Edge Consulting has claimed the deduction is not the question. That it is whether it is "deductible" and you'd need to understand the full facts and then analyse the scheme from a tax perspective to find out whether it is. My view of the reality is that remuneration is deductible in almost all circumstances (there is a question of when it is deductible). For example, have a look at some of the recent GAAR panel decisions where the panel says "this dodgy scheme doesn't work, the amount is taxable on the employee and so deductible for the employer".

Leave a comment:

• GoneSurfing
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't see HMRC agreeing to close that open enquiry unless you settle.

I assume you are aware that no additional interest will have accrued since you paid the APN.
    Even if Higgs and/or Hoey put an end to the ToAA and s687 arguments? I'm not familiar with the specifics of Edge but I assume that HMRC would run the same argument(s)?

I can't see why anyone would settle ahead of those being decided, especially if there is no financial penalty in waiting given the APN prevents interest accruing.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    I don't mind not getting my APN back as long as it offsets the amount of tax I would owe. If I had settled I would have paid way more because of all the interest.
    Unfortunately, I can't see HMRC agreeing to close that open enquiry unless you settle.

I assume you are aware that no additional interest will have accrued since you paid the APN.

Leave a comment:

• Ozbird
    replied
    Or possibly not. Ozbird will have to think about the "(c)" bit and that will be a question of fact.

For example, the employer may have already claimed a deduction or the waiver will trigger a deduction (s1292(6A) CTA 2009).
    How can I find that out? The employer was Edge Consulting and they no longer exist.

Also, tax in Oz would probably be more tbh because I am earning money from work here. I don't mind not getting my APN back as long as it offsets the amount of tax I would owe. If I had settled I would have paid way more because of all the interest.

Leave a comment:

• Iliketax
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneSurfing View Post
    Possibly "awesome" for Ozbird then?
    Or possibly not. Ozbird will have to think about the "(c)" bit and that will be a question of fact.

For example, the employer may have already claimed a deduction or the waiver will trigger a deduction (s1292(6A) CTA 2009).

Leave a comment:

• regron
    replied
    Originally posted by regron View Post
    HMRC are set to detail the new settlement opportunity for pre-2010 years this Autumn.
    Apologies, I was out and abut this morning when I posted this, and need to correct the above now I've dug out the information.

1. DR loans not subject to the Loan Charge can be settled based on the August 2020 settlement terms (link provided in the link below).
    2. Settlement terms for DR loans which are subject to the Loan Charge, will be published later this year (link below).

Disguised remuneration: settling your tax affairs - GOV.UK

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    There is an active group in Australia which is looking at all aspects of the situation.

Happy to effect an introduction if you want to PM me.

Leave a comment:

• regron
    replied
    HMRC are set to detail the new settlement opportunity for pre-2010 years this Autumn.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    They won't let me settle. They sent me a letter saying that I could settle but by the time it reached me her in Oz the deadline had already passed. I emailed them and they said that I cannot now settle. I don't know what else to do. I am so sick of this hanging over me and the possibility that the trust could sell the loans and someone come after me for the loan amount. After the offer to settle expired I emailed them and made an offer to settle for an amount of money and asked them if I could even settle the closed year but they just wrote back to say that I should do my tax return and pay the loan charge. I had already done my tax return and the loan charge doesn't apply as its pre 2010. If I have to speak to these guys I am not even sure they are empowered to have these negotiations about offsetting the APN and closing the open enquiry. Its such a mess.
    The people you are dealing with are clearly totally focused on the loan charge. You may be the only person who has contacted them about pre-2010 loans which fall outside the "settle by X date or pay the LC" script.

If you want to settle the open enquiry, you need to find someone who can deal with pre-2010 loan years.

I would suggest contacting the team who opened the original enquiry but they may not still be around.

Maybe someone else here can point you in the right direction?

Leave a comment:

• GoneSurfing
    replied
    Awesome. But that is not what most DTAs say.
    Ozbird would appear to be resident in Australia and a quick scan of the UK/Australia DTA reveals:

14.2 Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1 of this Article, remuneration derived by a resident of a Contracting State in respect of an employment exercised in the other Contracting State shall be taxable *only* in the first-mentioned State if:

(a) the recipient is present in the other State for a period or periods not exceeding in the aggregate 183 days in any twelve month period commencing or ending *in the fiscal year or year of income* of that other State; and

(b) the remuneration is paid by, or on behalf of, an employer who is not a resident of the other State; and

(c) the remuneration is not deductible in determining taxable profits of a permanent establishment which the employer has in the other State.

Possibly "awesome" for Ozbird then?

Leave a comment:

• Ozbird
    replied
    They won't let me settle. They sent me a letter saying that I could settle but by the time it reached me her in Oz the deadline had already passed. I emailed them and they said that I cannot now settle. I don't know what else to do. I am so sick of this hanging over me and the possibility that the trust could sell the loans and someone come after me for the loan amount. After the offer to settle expired I emailed them and made an offer to settle for an amount of money and asked them if I could even settle the closed year but they just wrote back to say that I should do my tax return and pay the loan charge. I had already done my tax return and the loan charge doesn't apply as its pre 2010. If I have to speak to these guys I am not even sure they are empowered to have these negotiations about offsetting the APN and closing the open enquiry. Its such a mess.

Leave a comment:

• Iliketax
    replied
    It may count as employment income under UK law but does it automatically follow that it is taxable?
    Normally, a DTA a would override domestic legislation.

What if there was a DTA that (under certain narrow conditions) assigned sole rights to tax employment income to the other country for the year in which that income arises?
    Awesome. But that is not what most DTAs say.

Leave a comment:

• GoneSurfing
    replied
    Section 554Z4 ITEPA 2003 says that you need to look at what year the relevant step is "for". That's a question of fact but is likely to be based on the circumstances when the loan was made. So the fact that you are not resident in the UK now may not be relevant.

The amount taxed under disguised remuneration counts as employment income and so is taxable whereever you are in the world.
    It may count as employment income under UK law but does it automatically follow that it is taxable?

What if there was a DTA that (under certain narrow conditions) assigned sole rights to tax employment income to the other country for the year in which that income arises?

Leave a comment:

• Iliketax
    replied
    Presumably, if someone has already settled, then waiving the loans does not incur a further income tax charge? (no double tax on the same loans)
    I don't do settlements but that is presumably what the settlement agreement would say. If not then the double tax relieving rules would seem to apply (e.g. s554Z5 ITEPA 2003).

I guess this creates a problem for people with closed (unprotected) years. They may not want the loans hanging over them in perpetuity but waiving them would trigger a tax charge?
    Yes.

I guess, if Ozbird wants the loan waived for the open (protected) year, they may have no choice but to settle that year. Because settling is the only way of getting rid of the open enquiry?
    Settling is one way. Getting HMRC to agree that there is no tax is another way. Another is going to the tribunal/courts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X