• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Loan charge - review outcomes - impact on settlement"

Collapse

• hudson
    replied
    Terms and Conditions of Settlement

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
    Ask yourself this - is settlement really settlement? When you get your settlement contract I suggest that you get it very thoroughly reviewed.

TO THE COMMISSIONERS FOR HER MAJESTY'S REVENUE AND CUSTOMS ("HMRC")

The tax ("Tax") and National Insurance contributions ("NICs") on the statement in Appendix 1 is unpaid, wholly or in part, because of my failure to meet all of my statutory obligations.

If the terms of this offer are accepted, it is confirmed that the agreement (the "Agreement"):

(a) removes the tax advantage so that Condition E within section 23A of the Income Tax (Trading and Other Income) Act ("ITTOIA") 2005 is not met and a future charge to tax and National Insurance contributions as a result of a relevant benefit within paragraph 1 of schedule 12 to the Finance (No. 2) Act 2017 (the "Trading Income 2019 Loan Charge") will not arise in relation to the Payments from trading income schemes listed in Appendix 2;

(b) is within paragraph 21(4) of Schedule 12 to Finance (No.2) Act 2017 so that I will not have to provide the "loan charge information" for the purpose of the Trading Income 2019 Loan Charge in connection with the Payments from trading income schemes listed in Appendix 2;

(c) reflects HMRC's published settlement terms, according to which HMRC will not pursue me for any tax or National Insurance contributions on fees paid to third parties in connection with the Payments listed in Appendix 2;

(d) concludes HMRC's enquiries into the Payments listed in Appendix 2 and settles any assessments in so far as they relate to those Payments.

For the avoidance of doubt the Agreement will not apply to any tax years, disguised remuneration schemes, sums or payments (whether in the form of loans or otherwise) that are not included in Appendix 2.

I acknowledge that the Agreement does not constitute a relevant defeat for the purposes of the serial tax avoidance legislation at Schedule 18 to the Finance Act 2016.

On the basis that no proceedings are taken against me for the Tax or NICs on the statement in Appendix 1, or for the interest on it

I Joe Bloggs

of Someplace, SOMETOWN, SM1 2YZ

offer the sum of £5,000.00 ("the Settlement Amount")

The balance of £5,000.00 will be paid within 30 days of the date of your letter accepting this offer.

If the Settlement Amount has not been paid by that day, interest at the rate which applies for Section 86 Taxes Management Act 1970, which may be varied from time to time, will also be payable on any unpaid balance from that day. This interest will be payable without deduction of tax and shall not be claimed or allowed as a deduction in computing any income, profits or losses for any tax purposes.

If any part of the Settlement Amount is not paid within 14 days of the due date, HMRC may:

(a) seek recovery of the outstanding balance of the Settlement Amount together with interest, under the Agreement; and/or
    (b) treat the Agreement as terminated.

Where HMRC treat the Agreement as terminated, I will be treated as never having agreed terms with an officer of Revenue and Customs for the purpose of paragraph 21(4) of Schedule 12 to Finance (No.2) Act 2017, meaning that I have to provide the "loan charge information" for the purpose of the Trading Income 2019 Loan Charge in connection with the Payments from trading income schemes listed in Appendix 2. Furthermore, Condition E within section 23A ITTOIA 2005 will apply as if the tax advantage had not been removed, meaning that the Trading Income 2019 Loan Charge will apply to the Payments from trading income schemes listed in Appendix 2.

This offer and any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.

The courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with this offer or its subject matter formation.

Any payments made under the Agreement prior to it being terminated may be treated as a tax charged within the meaning of section 23H ITTOIA 2005.

I undertake not to take any action with a view to obtaining repayment from HMRC of any part of the Settlement Amount including but not limited to making a claim under:

a) Schedule 1AB (Recovery of overpaid tax etc) of the Taxes Management Act 1970;
    b) regulation 52 (Return of contributions paid in error) of the Social Security (Contributions) Regulations 2001; or
    c) common law.

Signed............................................ ... Date.............................

APPENDIX 1

Statement of Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions

Year Statement of Income Tax NICs Interest
    2014-2015 £1,800.00 £500.00 £200.00
    2015-2016 £1,800.00 £500.00 £200.00

APPENDIX 2

Payments covered by the Agreement being payments made to or in respect of me, whether in the forms of loans or otherwise, in connection with trading income disguised remuneration schemes

Year Scheme Payment
    2014-2015 Winchester Self-Employed £15,000
    2015-2016 AML Self-Employed £15,000

Settlement Factsheet

If you settle now under the current terms:

You may pay a lower rate of tax on the sums you recieved in the form of loans.

The April 2019 charge will NOT apply to you provided you have not excluded any loans or disguised remuneration schemes from your settlement. You will not have to report any loan details in your Self-Assessment return for 5 April 2019.

You can choose to make voluntary restitution for loans received in years which are not currently subject to an open enquiry or assessments and HMRC is now outside of the time-limits to make an assessment. This will mean that you pay income tax only, no late payment interest is charged.

The enquiries will be closed and/or the assessments will be settled.

You will NOT be asked to pay tax on any fees paid to a person abroad as part of your use of Contractor Loans arrangements.

You will have certainty about settlement terms. The settlement terms may not be available if the scheme moves to litigation.

You will not incur the extra costs which result when a scheme moves to litigation.

However, if you settle only the protected years (which are years with an open enquiry or an assessment or years where HMRC is still in time to make an assessment) or exclude the use of other disguised remuneration schemes from your settlement, any loans from these schemes would not get any relief from the future charge arising in April 2019, unless theses loans are repaid in money or have been taxed as income before then.

If you do not settle under the current terms:

Any enquiries and assessments opened will remain in place and interest will continue to accrue on any tax which has not been paid.

You may pay more by waiting for the loan charge because the loan charge will add all your outstanding loans together and tax them in one year.

The April 2019 loan charge will apply to all outstanding loans regardless of whether the year in which the loans were received is currently subject to an open enquiry or assessment.

It is HMRC's view that tax is also due on any fees paid to a person abroad as part of you use of Contractor Loans arrangements. It may be that we ask users of these arrangements to pay tax on fees as part of settlement, or that other terms of settlement change. This would no affect anyone who has already agreed on a binding settlement.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Indeed. HMRC have tried to back stab a few. I think Graham and Phil are the two recommended advisers to contact? Please correct me if others are now on the CUK recommended list.
    To be pedantic, I'm not on any "recommended" list.

To the best of my knowledge CUK does not have one such.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
    Ask yourself this - is settlement really settlement? When you get your settlement contract I suggest that you get it very thoroughly reviewed.
    Indeed. HMRC have tried to back stab a few. I think Graham and Phil are the two recommended advisers to contact? Please correct me if others are now on the CUK recommended list.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Originally posted by dangermaus View Post
    Only my opinion but with the risk of a long drawn out battle with no certainty of defeating HMRC's view and then likely penalties and then further interest being added to what are already some substantial tax bills, surely anybody who can afford to settle would be advised to do so? That I guess is the only option that has any certainty. Those who cant have few other options than to fight.

I am using WTT's settlement service and am awaiting revised figures from HMRC but haven't been given any details on Big Group or even been told of it's existence by anyone at WTT. All I know is from what I've read in these forums and for me personally I dont see a way out of this paying anything less than full settlement.

Leave a comment:

• dangermaus
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Is that your opinion or an advisers?
    Only my opinion but with the risk of a long drawn out battle with no certainty of defeating HMRC's view and then likely penalties and then further interest being added to what are already some substantial tax bills, surely anybody who can afford to settle would be advised to do so? That I guess is the only option that has any certainty. Those who cant have few other options than to fight.

I am using WTT's settlement service and am awaiting revised figures from HMRC but haven't been given any details on Big Group or even been told of it's existence by anyone at WTT. All I know is from what I've read in these forums and for me personally I dont see a way out of this paying anything less than full settlement.

Leave a comment:

• hudson
    replied
    As we have said from the first time that the loan charge was mentioned, removing that legislation has no impact upon HMRC's view or obligations in respect of those years where there are open enquiries.

If the loan charge is removed tomorrow, the enquiry process continues.

Therefore if you have open (under enquiry) years you need to think about how you deal with them.

The equation you will be running is a personal one.
    So the 'Loan Charge' would, as the name suggests be a Charge? It is not settlement. This is an additional charge to potential settlement payment in the future.

You would hope that if the taxpayer ended up paying in the future in order to settle the open enquiry, then the payment made under the loan charge would be offset against any settlement liability, but there is no guarantee of this at all.

Is this correct?

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    As we have said from the first time that the loan charge was mentioned, removing that legislation has no impact upon HMRC's view or obligations in respect of those years where there are open enquiries.

If the loan charge is removed tomorrow, the enquiry process continues.

Therefore if you have open (under enquiry) years you need to think about how you deal with them.

The equation you will be running is a personal one.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied

Seeing as though the chances of winning aren’t very high, I’m inclined to settle
    Is that your opinion or an advisers?

Leave a comment:

• RickG
    replied
    Correct me if I’m wrong but those who only have open years probably have no benefit to joining any fight against the loan charge as, if it was scrapped, HMRC would still pursue these open years. Especially if they had already provided loan figures.

Surely they would only have an interest in joining a fight against HMRC’s view that the loans are taxable, if such a fight exists?
    I disagree. Once LC19 is repealed, those with open years have their legitimate right to challenge HMRC to prove the underlying scheme did not work.

We all know HMRC have been unable (or unwilling) to challenge these schemes effectively and are relying on LC19 to run roughshod over normal taxpayer protections.

Everyone affected by LC19 should be doing all they can, not relying on others to do it for them:

Fight Unjust Government Retrospective Laws - Before They Impact You

Leave a comment:

• dammit chloe
    replied
    I have loans from 2014/15 up to 2018/19 tax years and my settlement letter said these are all open years and interest has been added. Never had any enquiries. Therefore I don’t feel as though there is any other option than to settle or fight that the loans are not taxable.

Seeing as though the chances of winning aren’t very high, I’m inclined to settle
    except that HMRC have admitted that the Loan Charge is there to help them because they can't litigate all the schemes as it takes too long.

Big Group seems to have defences for many of the schemes. Will they be deemed valid. Who knows but HMRC are coming under a lot of flak and I can only hope at some point MPs will see that enough is enough because the public can't tolerate any more.

Leave a comment:

• chrisalis
    replied
    LCAG Judicial Review

Correct me if I’m wrong but those who only have open years probably have no benefit to joining any fight against the loan charge as, if it was scrapped, HMRC would still pursue these open years. Especially if they had already provided loan figures.

Surely they would only have an interest in joining a fight against HMRC’s view that the loans are taxable, if such a fight exists?
    Many LCAG members only have closed years, which the APPG acknowledge but HMRC won't, as they won't accept the APPG public statements.

The LCAG JR has nothing to do with the schemes themselves. It's to prove that the Loan Charge is unlawful so it doesn't matter which scheme you were with.

It's no use expecting others to fight (and pay for) your fight for you.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• dangermaus
    replied
    And it does exist.

You are generally correct.

If all of your years are closed (no enquiries), then if the loan charge falls, your liability disappears.

If you have open (under enquiry) years, the the loan charge being removed means that HMRC will chase those years.

Therefore unless you have a plan to resist HMRC's view, you have gained little.

You need a reason why HMRC is wrong.

Go to Big Group thread.
    I have loans from 2014/15 up to 2018/19 tax years and my settlement letter said these are all open years and interest has been added. Never had any enquiries. Therefore I don’t feel as though there is any other option than to settle or fight that the loans are not taxable.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied

And it does exist.

You are generally correct.

If all of your years are closed (no enquiries), then if the loan charge falls, your liability disappears.

If you have open (under enquiry) years, the the loan charge being removed means that HMRC will chase those years.

Therefore unless you have a plan to resist HMRC's view, you have gained little.

You need a reason why HMRC is wrong.

Go to Big Group thread.

Leave a comment:

• dangermaus
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisalis View Post
    Hi

Can we advise all members impacted by the Loan Charge to join LCAG and the Judicial Review?

Judicial Review - Loan Charge Action Group

In reality, this is your best hope of defeating HMRC's Loan Charge, which is still due to come into effect on 5th April.

Regards
    Chris (LCAG Volunteer Team)

Leave a comment:

• chrisalis
    replied
    Join the Loan Charge Action Group

Hi

Can we advise all members impacted by the Loan Charge to join LCAG and the Judicial Review?

Judicial Review - Loan Charge Action Group

In reality, this is your best hope of defeating HMRC's Loan Charge, which is still due to come into effect on 5th April.

Regards
    Chris (LCAG Volunteer Team)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X