• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor loans, just got email, previously unaware"

Collapse

• piebaps
    replied
    Phil is a tax advisor who works for Dow Schofield Watts. Google Phillip Manley and you'll find him. Many on here recommend him but I've had no personal dealings.

Leave a comment:

• chrisalis
    replied
    Who's Phil and how do I contact him?

Hi

I've had Contractor Loans from Fidei and have had a reassessment from HMRC based on the figures Fidei gave them and which my bank statement for the period (2011-13) agrees with. However these figures are different (lower) from HMRC's new guess/random number generator.

I'm contacting HMRC again to explain the error of their ways, but need Fidei to forward the information to me that they sent to [email protected]. I've also asked him for the info as I can't now find Fidei anywhere.

I've seen posts saying "contact Phil", who is he and how do I contact him?

Chris

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Albert49 View Post
    Can I ask where the 47.5% comes from, my understanding is that loan amounts are added to your other income in 18/19, and you are taxed accordingly, so theoretically if your other income in 18/19 is low and your loans totals are also low the tax could be 20%, in most cases it will be 40% or 45%,.
    This poster never returned after seeing that I removed an advert on this post.

I think that you can ignore the figure and him.

Leave a comment:

• hmrcvictim
    replied
    Yes, I would like to know as well.

There is enough FUD as is on this subject. How did you get 47.5% figure?

Originally posted by Albert49 View Post
    Can I ask where the 47.5% comes from, my understanding is that loan amounts are added to your other income in 18/19, and you are taxed accordingly, so theoretically if your other income in 18/19 is low and your loans totals are also low the tax could be 20%, in most cases it will be 40% or 45%,.

Leave a comment:

• Albert49
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivy Tax Consultants Ltd View Post
    Hi,
    Yes, I am dealing with a couple of cases at this moment. First, you need to find out whether sec 9A inquiry is instigated. You need to be careful about what information you are giving out. Contractor Loans Settlement Pack needs to be filled. 30th September is last date for sending the working with intent to declare. After April 2019 a loan charge will be applicable. The charge shall start from 47.5% of the total loan for lower rate tax payer and upward. HMRC shall call for information since 1999 in order to determine the loan charge unless you declare. Loan from EBT is an Avoidance scheme that HMRC is not confirmation with. But you need to what and where to declare.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by piebaps View Post
    If it was a reputable company you'd be able to find them and identify who is operating it.

Google search = no trace
    UK company house search = no trace

I'd be out at this stage were it me.
    If you can't do any DD on them, don't use them.

Leave a comment:

• GoneSurfing
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivy Tax Consultants Ltd View Post
    After April 2019 a loan charge will be applicable. The charge shall start from 47.5% of the total loan for lower rate tax payer and upward.
    How do you arrive at that figure given that it is treated as income and subject to the standard tax brackets?

Leave a comment:

• kryten22uk
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    Sounds like AJ up to his tricks again.
    There's no 'tricks' going on, well not totally. These guys are managing the Trust loan info, and any contractor with Fidei loans will need to get their details from them. They're a bit slow, took a few weeks for them to 'process' my request, but they came through in the end.

They do try to sell their own services, but not pushy, only in a brief part of their email, and alongside they also recommend WTT and give WTT's prices and contact details. I agree that I wouldnt pay for a tax service from a company with zero online/official presence, but the main purpose of the email was to advise that they are the people who maintain the details of Fidei Loans, should you need updating. So you can (as I did) completely ignore the tax advisory side, and just get them to send your statement.
    Last edited by kryten22uk; 28 September 2018, 07:52.

Leave a comment:

• piebaps
    replied
    Originally posted by talltales View Post
    At the moment it's just a hotmail address and a name "Contractor Loans Assist" that may be associated with it. I'm very wary of it.
    If it was a reputable company you'd be able to find them and identify who is operating it.

Google search = no trace
    UK company house search = no trace

I'd be out at this stage were it me.

Leave a comment:

• TonyT
    replied
    I've been out of contracting for over a decade and had heard nothing of HMRC chasing contractor loan schemes.

Following a Moneybox article which I only caught a little of, I was starting to look into this, then yesterday I got an email from "Contractor Loans" stating that they had my details from Fidei and there is a deadline on the 30th.

Clearly I need to take urgent action, but apparently there was an earlier deadline to register that I have missed.

I guess I need to action to at least contract HMRC before the next deadline.

Any advice appreciated at this point.

Please do contact Phil Manley and join the Loan Charge Action Group.
    We are all going to lobby outside parliament on the 24th October in protest of the Loan Charge.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    At the moment it's just a hotmail address and a name "Contractor Loans Assist" that may be associated with it. I'm very wary of it.
    Sounds like AJ up to his tricks again.

Leave a comment:

• talltales
    replied
    Originally posted by passerby View Post
    Who sent you the email? is it a promoter, an accountant? how did they get your details?

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Fedei is an AJ company. So be very careful. Phil or Graham are far better ways forward.

Leave a comment:

• passerby
    replied
    I've been out of contracting for over a decade and had heard nothing of HMRC chasing contractor loan schemes.

Following a Moneybox article which I only caught a little of, I was starting to look into this, then yesterday I got an email from "Contractor Loans" stating that they had my details from Fidei and there is a deadline on the 30th.

Clearly I need to take urgent action, but apparently there was an earlier deadline to register that I have missed.

I guess I need to action to at least contract HMRC before the next deadline.

Any advice appreciated at this point.

Who sent you the email? is it a promoter, an accountant? how did they get your details?

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by me206et View Post
    Ask for message permission.
    Or google phil DSW and ring.
    Join LCAG, but this will take a few days so need to get a move on before that.
    phil at dswtres dot com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X