• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Loan Charge Action Group"

Collapse

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    This is a problem and probably how many are approaching it.

It has been said before people affected need to stand up be counted and be heard.
    Absolutely agree.

If you don't do it, who will?

This is not time to hide.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    Thanks for the advice. How on earth does one lobby my local MP.

Not only that I want to stay under the radar. Last thing I need is for HMRC get wind that say I am causing ripples.

Regarding "Mel". What I don't get is he actually worked up in the city and no doubt with many contractors. Ive read through the many questions put to him in Parliament and his response regarding the impact and or whether its right to introduce retrospectively. He just seems to shrug it all off saying no problem HMRC will help it will be fine. The number of impacted people he keeps quoting is so wrong. For me its like he has some vendetta. Maybe he didn't like contractors. I doubt in his constituency the local people who live there probably have no idea what a contractor is so not like he'll lose many votes. His downright stubbornness to assume "only a few" people will be seriously impacted is just so frustrating.

A quick question... does anyone know exactly how long HMRC are willing to give people affected to pay back this money. Last I heard its no more than 2.5 years. Is that still true ?
    You lobby by making an appointment to see him/her and bending their ear in a face to face 15 minutes.

The prospect of your being selected for special treatment by HMRC for kicking up a fuss is totally unfounded. HMRC will not care a jot whether you make a fuss or not. Do not use this as an excuse not to take some action. Do not rely on others to do this for you.

Don't get hung up on "Mel". If he resigned tomorrow, some other party loyalist would step into his shoes and continue in exactly the same way. This has nothing to do with him as an individual but everything to do with tax policy which he is trying to defend.

As to extended terms to pay, all HMRC say is that it depends on circumstances. If you are told its X period or Y period, the only certainty is that it's wrong. You need to discuss this with them.

Leave a comment:

• foobar
    replied

Not only that I want to stay under the radar. Last thing I need is for HMRC get wind that say I am causing ripples.

Regarding "Mel". What I don't get is he actually worked up in the city and no doubt with many contractors. Ive read through the many questions put to him in Parliament and his response regarding the impact and or whether its right to introduce retrospectively. He just seems to shrug it all off saying no problem HMRC will help it will be fine. The number of impacted people he keeps quoting is so wrong. For me its like he has some vendetta. Maybe he didn't like contractors. I doubt in his constituency the local people who live there probably have no idea what a contractor is so not like he'll lose many votes. His downright stubbornness to assume "only a few" people will be seriously impacted is just so frustrating.

A quick question... does anyone know exactly how long HMRC are willing to give people affected to pay back this money. Last I heard its no more than 2.5 years. Is that still true ?
    I have heard 2 years but I will need TTP of at least 20 years I think. I am absolutely fuming over this ill treatment from HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    This is a problem and probably how many are approaching it.

It has been said before people affected need to stand up be counted and be heard.

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    10,000 signatures mean they will respond.

100,000 mean it will be debated (but not guaranteed to be. Some aren’t still)

That petition has 4 months left (2 months gone) with less than 2,500 signatures.

By all means sign it but I don’t think this will be effective. At all.

Lobbying your MP will probably be a better focus of your time.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I suggest everyone caught out by this retrospective change in law sign this petition

once over 10000 signatories it will be discussed

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

thanks
    10,000 signatures mean they will respond.

100,000 mean it will be debated (but not guaranteed to be. Some aren’t still)

That petition has 4 months left (2 months gone) with less than 2,500 signatures.

By all means sign it but I don’t think this will be effective. At all.

Lobbying your MP will probably be a better focus of your time.

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Loan Charge

This actually makes me laugh considering they already said some people be will made bankrupt

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...-05-22/146722/

hypocritical rubbish..... thanks Mel ... for errr lying ??

Leave a comment:

• lowpaidworker
    replied
    Loan Charge Parliament Petition

I suggest everyone caught out by this retrospective change in law sign this petition

once over 10000 signatories it will be discussed

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

thanks
    Last edited by lowpaidworker; 5 July 2018, 15:39.

Leave a comment:

• headspin
    replied
    Shared on LinkedIn. This guy needs to be shown for the callous individual that he is.

Leave a comment:

• DeadDOTAS
    replied
    Folks,

Based on Mel Stride's misrepresentation/lie in Parliament on 3rd July 2018 @ Treasury Questions,
    LCAG have been v.busy in the background to undoing this lie (and Smelly Melly):
    1) writing a direct strongly worded letter directly to Mel Stride (links below) and
    2) distributing it via press release / media pack to various media outlets/ political correspondents.

Can you please share/tweet /tweet and share the hell out of this?
    It's your opportunity to take smelly Melly down - now....

In case you haven't seen the discussion in Parliament/HoC yesterday, here it is (watch til the end):
    https://youtu.be/cRV1BT1zfzg

Thank you!

Letter:
    https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/blog...de-mp-03-07-18

Press release:
    https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/blog...lease-04-07-18
    Last edited by DeadDOTAS; 4 July 2018, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• DeadDOTAS
    replied
    Originally posted by uppoocreek View Post
    There I was in a pit of disappear. Paper everywhere, surrounded by thousand of pounds of regret and misery looking down at nothing to live for.

In what I know was a last cry for help I posted on the Loan Charge Action Group website forum not expecting anyone to see or hear me, although I desperately needed someone anyone to hear me.

Like a lonely message in a bottle cast out to sea with a cry for help not thinking I would ever hear back and to quote the Police song I got a thousand messages back ❤️❤️

Please remember you are not alone please remember there are groups like the LCAG and wonderful kind caring people in this World.

If it hadn’t been for these people on Saturday night/Sunday morning last weekend I wouldn’t be here to write this. Even though I could see or feel the sun they have brought me back into the light and I am now at least able to look myself in the mirror and not feel ashamed of what I see.

I am going to sleep well tonight.
    I am delighted that we/LCAG could help. And, having been directly involved/concerned about your welfare over the weekend, am relieved that you found us and that we have been able to help.

Equally, I am at pains about the ones who don't find us/LCAG and who may not be so lucky. It's a real shame it's come to this and reflects very badly on the UK in general and HMRC/Mel Stride + Jon Thompson in particular.

Keep safe all and remember, help is at hand. You are not alone and it's NOT your fault.
    They want you to think it is, but is IS NOT!. Don't suffer in silence, seek help - either via LCAG, the Samaritans, CalmZONE or similar portals.

Leave a comment:

• MayMadness
    replied
    Originally posted by uppoocreek View Post
    There I was in a pit of disappear. Paper everywhere, surrounded by thousand of pounds of regret and misery looking down at nothing to live for.

In what I know was a last cry for help I posted on the Loan Charge Action Group website forum not expecting anyone to see or hear me, although I desperately needed someone anyone to hear me.

Like a lonely message in a bottle cast out to sea with a cry for help not thinking I would ever hear back and to quote the Police song I got a thousand messages back ❤️❤️

Please remember you are not alone please remember there are groups like the LCAG and wonderful kind caring people in this World.

If it hadn’t been for these people on Saturday night/Sunday morning last weekend I wouldn’t be here to write this. Even though I could see or feel the sun they have brought me back into the light and I am now at least able to look myself in the mirror and not feel ashamed of what I see.

I am glad to hear that you found a group to help you. I hope that others are encouraged by your experience. Please, no one should suffer this alone.

Leave a comment:

• uppoocreek
    replied
    Thank you LCAG!!

Leave a comment:

• demby
    replied
    HMRC are probably wringing their hands at the thought of all the extra inheritance tax they'll rake in. Plus 20-30 years of savings on pensions and NHS costs. It's a win-win as far as they're concerned

Leave a comment:

• DeadDOTAS
    replied
    LCAG just peed all over JonBonThompo's and MelBoy's summer weekend barbecue:

Contractor group demand suicide helpline - Contractor Weekly

The actual letter this refers to has now been leaked to the press and is available here:
    https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/blog...o-jon-thompson

Joking aside, we mustn't forget the reason for this is serious and in some cases literally existential:
    LCAG has, over the past few weeks, triaged at least three people with acute suicide risk and is aware of another suicide attempt that led to hospitalisation.

That are doing great work in helping people, even if late at night / weekend, but they are not staffed/equipped to dealing with many similar cases.

With the flood gates opening following the 1st wave of HMRC Loan Charge warning letters, mainly to Horizon users this week, unfortunately there maybe many more such cases.

HMRC/ Jon Thompson / Mel Stride are causing this mess and human tragedy and it is purely THEIR responsibility to preventing further suicides and/or mopping up the mess they are leaving behind.

Please spread the word and tweet the links above. Expect more news coverage on the back of this also....
    When you tweet, please use
    #HMRCHumanCost and
    #LoanChargeWillCostLives

Stay safe ppl and remember there is help available!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X