• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the 2019 Loan Charge?"

Collapse

• nobody123
    replied
    An interesting video everyone should watch about the loan charge being discussed in parliament https://youtu.be/cRV1BT1zfzg

Leave a comment:

• GoneSurfing
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If ISA’s were legislated against this year but then we’re continued to be sold with dodgy banks and building societies told punters that their ISA was 100% HMRC compliant and that some QC proved it. And despite us telling HMRC that we’ve got these ISA’s HMRC say nothing regarding these dodgy banks (because they’re legal dontcha know - you buying from them isn’t).

Then 10 years later HMRC come knocking on your door saying “Remember that ISA you had 10 years ago? Well we want our tax on that”.

Then yes, iSA users would be in a spot of bother.
    My understanding is that loan schemes weren't legislated against until 2010/11... whereas the LC goes back 20 years.

If that's the case, then in the example above HMRC would want the 10 years following the legislation and 10 years before.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by u9k82 View Post
    If ISA’s were deemed to be avoidance would everyone with an ISA be retrospectively taxed?
    If ISA’s were legislated against this year but then we’re continued to be sold with dodgy banks and building societies told punters that their ISA was 100% HMRC compliant and that some QC proved it. And despite us telling HMRC that we’ve got these ISA’s HMRC say nothing regarding these dodgy banks (because they’re legal dontcha know - you buying from them isn’t).

Then 10 years later HMRC come knocking on your door saying “Remember that ISA you had 10 years ago? Well we want our tax on that”.

Then yes, iSA users would be in a spot of bother.

Leave a comment:

• u9k82
    replied
    Thanks

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    You need to read the definitions in Sch 11 F(No 2) A 2017.

That tells you what loan is outstanding.

Broadly, it's the original loan in sterling, less what ever has been repaid in cash at the sterling equivalent.

So there may be no lender out there with a legal obligation to make you repay, but in the magical world of tax, that loan is still outstanding.

Clear as mud I'm afraid.

Is there a way of talking to HMRC but trying to see what the next 4 weeks holds

Is the new September deadline effectively shaking more apples ?

Is it best to hold nerve? My exposure is nothing like some people on here. I got out after a year.

I genuinely believed the cold call and was convinced it was more compliant than a regular umbrella scheme where maximising expenses was dangerous exposure.

I was told I could write off the loan in a future tax year and take the hit as contracting was a temporary thing for me

I engaged with Gilbert’s straight away who managed to get HMRC to stand down

You get on with your after having a near breakdown and then all of a sudden your ‘closed years’ are now at risk.

I feel let down by the retrospective nature.. I’ve pumped the economy with masses of tax over the past ten years and always lived in shame of my time on the loan scheme

It make a mockery over the whole justice system

If codeine was upgraded to a class A drug would everyone who has bought codeine over the past year be retrospectively punishes

If ISA’s were deemed to be avoidance would everyone with an ISA be retrospectively taxed?

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by u9k82 View Post
    Now please do not hurl abuse at me ... I have written confirmation that my loans were repaid ... even though this as through a foreign currency depreciating the loan.

Does this change anything is it open loans that are under scrutiny ? As far as I’m aware the loan is paid off ??
    You need to read the definitions in Sch 11 F(No 2) A 2017.

That tells you what loan is outstanding.

Broadly, it's the original loan in sterling, less what ever has been repaid in cash at the sterling equivalent.

So there may be no lender out there with a legal obligation to make you repay, but in the magical world of tax, that loan is still outstanding.

Clear as mud I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• u9k82
    replied
    Opinions needed

Now please do not hurl abuse at me ... I have written confirmation that my loans were repaid ... even though this as through a foreign currency depreciating the loan.

Does this change anything is it open loans that are under scrutiny ? As far as I’m aware the loan is paid off ??

Leave a comment:

• GUD
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    My view is our details are going to be shared anyways with the HMRC and we have to either settle or pay loan charge. There is no escape route! So, we should try our best to fight against the decision and support the guy to file this petition.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Originally posted by GUD View Post
    Worth signing this petition if you oppose the 2019 Loan Charge. We need minimum 10,000 signatures.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

The personal data of petitioner will not be published. Please do not worry about your details, a big IF, shared with HMRC. Don't forget that the scheme provider is going to pass your details anyways in Sep 2019.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/privacy

We’ll share your details with other government or parliamentary bodies so they can respond to your petition. We may also share your details with government or parliamentary bodies so they can invite you to take part in discussions about the issues raised in your petition.

Leave a comment:

• GUD
    replied
    sign petition

Worth signing this petition if you oppose the 2019 Loan Charge. We need minimum 10,000 signatures.

The personal data of petitioner will not be published. Please do not worry about your details, a big IF, shared with HMRC. Don't forget that the scheme provider is going to pass your details anyways in Sep 2019.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    The 2019 charge only applies to loans.
    It applies to "any form of credit".

Some of the dividend schemes had advances that were meant to be repaid each year by a dividend or share sale.

The advance is a form of credit.

Whether repayment happened or not will be a long debate with HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• me206et
    replied
    Originally posted by joed View Post
    There's less than 200 people on the UK parlaiment petition one. Are people apathetic or does no one believe it will have the slightest effect?
    164 to be precise.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    What is the 2019 Loan Charge?

Originally posted by joed View Post
    There's less than 200 people on the UK parlaiment petition one. Are people apathetic or does no one believe it will have the slightest effect?
    Neither of those. Well maybe they don’t believe it will have an effect. But ilI don’t think that’s the reason for a poor turnout.

Leave a comment:

• joed
    replied

Leave a comment:

• InNZ
    replied
    Laxmi - would it be better to start a new thread for this one?

Leave a comment:

• Laxmi
    replied
    PLease sign these petitions

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...r-share-button

Leave a comment:

Working...
X