• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone had a visit from HMRC about APNs?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Working in HMRC investigations for 20 years definitely brought out the worst in my brother-in-law. He's now a right nasty piece of work.
    And my ex-wife. I always assumed it was her kidney transplant. But now I am not so sure.

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Working in HMRC investigations for 20 years definitely brought out the worst in my brother-in-law. He's now a right nasty piece of work.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by yMyjgT View Post
    I had no idea how nasty HMRC could be until reading these forums.
    Is it the individuals they're employing, going after a recovery related bonus or something? Or just HMRC tactics to play nasty?
    They only employee horrible people with no friends and would report their grandmother's for tax evasion.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Leave a comment:

• yMyjgT
    replied
    I had no idea how nasty HMRC could be until reading these forums.
    Is it the individuals they're employing, going after a recovery related bonus or something? Or just HMRC tactics to play nasty?

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The government has bought off the mob with football and cheap booze. The modern equivalent of gladiators.
    Bread and circuses... same it's always been.

One thing you have to hand to our "Conservatives" is that they are very skilled at playing the divide and conquer game and keeping us "distracted" while they plunder everything that's not bolted on.

Enjoy the footie.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    The "I'm all right, Jack" syndrome.
    A disease that has infected the UK very severely.
    The government has bought off the mob with football and cheap booze. The modern equivalent of gladiators.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
    In the case of bailiffs do not invite them in or let them into the premises. Once they have been given access (across the threshold) they can legally enter the premises at any time with or without your explicit consent.
    +1

The only exception is if children accidently let them in. You can then throw them straight out.

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
    In the case of bailiffs do not invite them in or let them into the premises. Once they have been given access (across the threshold) they can legally enter the premises at any time with or without your explicit consent.
    Why on earth would you "invite them in"????
    If the bailiffs turn up at your house you do not have to let them in. Repeat: you do not have to let them in!!!

If you have time to kill, you can look at the DMB manual and verify by yourself http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/Manuals/dmbmanual/Index.htm

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    So few people realize what is happening - and when they hear stories do not believe them.
    Until it happens to them. Then suddenly they are up in arms.
    If you don't support others, how do you expect to be supported yourself?
    The "I'm all right, Jack" syndrome.
    A disease that has infected the UK very severely.

Leave a comment:

• yakitoo
    replied

If HMRC or Baliffs come knocking then politely close the door on them. And refuse to talk except by letter. You do not have to speak to them.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What HMRC did was quite legal - and they can(and have done) far worse.

If HMRC or Baliffs come knocking then politely close the door on them. And refuse to talk except by letter. You do not have to speak to them. Same with the police.

The UK has become a country in which the government can bully, threaten and intimidate quite legally. It will get worse once we vote remain. So few people realize what is happening - and when they hear stories do not believe them.

Until it happens to them. Then suddenly they are up in arms.

If you don't support others, how do you expect to be supported yourself?

I have been unlucky - I have now been involved in 2 major campaigns where the government has behaved badly. At least the second time I dropped out after a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• 9times5
    replied
    Someone should start filming them the next time they try to pull this off. If enough people upload this on social media, they will be public shamed to change this practice.

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Common gangsters

Not sure what else to call it...

This sounds like intimidation/ harassment, and if I were you, I would report it to the police.
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 14 April 2016, 16:53.

Leave a comment:

• DKB
    replied
    i had something of a similar nature but maybe more cut and dry than you.

I received a shouty phone call from HMRC saying I owed money. They couldn't tell me what for, what year other than it was unpaid tax and literally asked me to get a credit card and start reading the big number off the front. I declined obviously.

I finally got a statement from them, spoke with them and it transpired that as I'd used The Edge/EBT scheme, I had to pay the money 'I owed'. Again, I declined.

Just before I received my letter stating I was going to be issued an APN, a man in trenchcoat arrived at my door and asked to speak with me. My partner said I wasn't in which I genuinely wasn't. He went to the car/van and printed a letter out. It said he was debt recovery and looking for payment in full.

I had three visits in total and finally after my then accountant shouted at HMRC the visits stopped. I then received the APN notification followed by the APN which I have paid.

This is obviously different from your circumstances, but I'm baffled as to why they sent debt collection/ballifs if HMRC were issuing APNs.

They even had a good look through the front window to look in to the living room.

Leave a comment:

• JPC
    replied
    ok Judicial review yes sorry. Well i am part of a scheme as mentioned to one of you here. Thanks will look into complaining.

And just an fyi for the rest of you, i am genuine i assure you, i dont want to be their messenger at the same time, playing their game of the lowest hanging fruit. I wish them all an unpleasant ending.
    Last edited by JPC; 8 April 2016, 17:32.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X