• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "itunes corrupt error"

Collapse

• pickle
    replied
    last night i was using my itunes to sync my new ipod
    So take it back to the feckin shop.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    What an Ipod? Can I play my 78s on it?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    I occasionally boot into OS X but to be honest, I don't see any huge advantages in it when most of the apps I need to get my work done aren't even available for it.
    Depends what you do doesn't it. I've made an effort to use the Apple tools and I'm more productive already.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    It's fairly simple though. It is only there because the device's main CPU isn't that powerful so it uses a host-constructed index to find the files rather than having to scan the device and remember what is going on in it's system RAM. It works wonderfully and is a good example of software design. 99% of people don't care how it does it, just that it works, which it does!

There are open source tools to generate the DB.

As for the Apple comment - no substance, just looks, then compare their operating system to Windows Vista. MacOS X is already post-vista in functionality and reliability...

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Even better - I'm running MacOS on mine
    I occasionally boot into OS X but to be honest, I don't see any huge advantages in it when most of the apps I need to get my work done aren't even available for it.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    It hasn't been 'reverse engineered' - an iPod is just a standard USB storage device and can be used that way on Windows or Mac. It's not some uber-cool Linux hack
    There's a little DB file in the root directory of the iPod. If it doesn't get updated when copying files you end up with no track listing. Also note, that files are not stored on the iPod as their filenames, they're stored as a hex hash key, so when copying them off, you need to read the little DB file to name the files as they come off or you don't know what the files are called.

It's not an uber hack, but it's important.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    It hasn't been 'reverse engineered' - an iPod is just a standard USB storage device and can be used that way on Windows or Mac. It's not some uber-cool Linux hack
    everything on linux is a hack isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    That's a bit harsh.

I'm running Win XP on an Intel Core Duo Mac and I can honestly say its the best (and best looking) Windows machine I have ever used.

I've never screwed my iPod either. YMMV.
    Even better - I'm running MacOS on mine

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    "Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level then beat you by experience"[/QUOTE]

I like that one.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    **** off
    I was going to respond in kind, but then remembered the old addage...

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level then beat you by experience"

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    That's a bit harsh.

I'm running Win XP on an Intel Core Duo Mac and I can honestly say its the best (and best looking) Windows machine I have ever used.

**** off

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    i reinstalled the ipod factory settings/operating system.

works a treat now.

fu*kin apple. great example of all look and no substance.

kiddies toys thats all they are.

w*nkers
    That's a bit harsh.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    i reinstalled the ipod factory settings/operating system.

works a treat now.

fu*kin apple. great example of all look and no substance.

kiddies toys thats all they are.

w*nkers

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Personally, since I'm running Linux, the regular file manager will just copy files to and from the iPod as if it was a normal USB storage device - it updates the DB on the iPod in the background automagically.

Since, therefore, the DB on the iPod has been reverse engineered, there must be something available on your platform of choice to do something similar.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Ignore it, the ipod will still update and the message goes away after a bit. I had it pop up for a month or so then it buggered off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X