• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Motor boating

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Motor boating"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Definition of "boat": a hole in the water that you pour money in.
    And yachting: standing under a cold shower tearing up £20 notes while your wife cries.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Cause of where I live we have miles upon miles of 'sheltered' sea area, so bought a boat when I moved here 9 years ago.

Been through a few boats since then and have currently got a Hardy 25 cabin boat.

It really depends on what you want and what the water is like around you (sheltered/open etc)

Also, think about mooring/marina fees. can easily be 10% of your boat's value every year.

A decent 'in between' boat if you can't decide on a full on cabin boat or a small cuddy, is a Fletcher Faro. You should pick up one second hand but in good nick for between £5k & £10K depending on it's engine.

Learn about osmosis before you buy a boat :-) If you come up with any question, feel free to PM.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Some good advice already on here about courses etc, which is a good starting place, but the big question is what do you see yourself doing with the boat? Do you want to cross oceans? pootle around the canals and rivers? go haring around for an afternoon doing a bit of water-skiing? spend a day aboard? a weekend? a week? years? Do you want to keep it on a mooring or on a trailer? Most important of all, what's your budget (for buying/ mooring/ maintaining...)

I have been messing about in boats for years; I grew up by the sea so as a group of school-friends we would pool our pocket money and charter a fishing boat for a day, my first boat was a little open rowing/motor boat when I was a student in Kingston which we used for wobbling to and from the pub (student house was on a river island), I got a little Shetland Cruiser when the then girlfriend decided she needed somewhere private to go for a pee (women are so fussy about that) - it was only 17' but we took it right up the Thames to Oxford. Current boat is a 36' steel motor cruiser which is lovely and comfortable capable of crossing seas rather than oceans, but very at home on rivers and estuaries. I also love sailing and would like to have a sailboat one day, but for now the Mobo is more practical, but I am lucky enough to have a friend with a decent sailing boat (now that can, and has, crossed oceans)

Presumably you don't have any friends who you could crew for or you would have mentioned it, but go on some of the boating forums (ybw is one of the best and has different forums for different likes), someone local will probably take you out, or go to the Southampton boat show - they have try a sail/try a mobo experiences

Here's a more positive quote than the "standing in a cold shower tearing up fifty pound notes" brigade have managed:-

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing—about—in—boats; messing—"

(Kenneth Graham's Ratty)

Definitely go to the Boat Show, kills your feet but you get to see everything from row boats to liners.
    Last edited by tractor; 9 June 2014, 07:31.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    a man and his wife decide to go to a club where once a week they will pick a topic and discuss (E.g chess , sports , films ...)
    one week the wife is sick and cannot go to the club so the husband decides to go by himself
    the topic of the week at the club was Sex .
    the man told all to the group but was so embrassed he told his wife it was about motor boating.
    the next day the wife sees a member of the club and they discuss what her husband talked about last night .
    friend: " your husband gave great detail last night "
    Wife : " well we only done it 2 times first time he was sick and the second time his hat fell off"

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm on holiday, lots of boats and nice weather. So.......

I want to get into boating - I don't know anything about em but want to get into them. Anyone into boating and how did you start? Suggestions for first steps?

No jokes about motor boating please, unless they are funny and relevant.
    Some good advice already on here about courses etc, which is a good starting place, but the big question is what do you see yourself doing with the boat? Do you want to cross oceans? pootle around the canals and rivers? go haring around for an afternoon doing a bit of water-skiing? spend a day aboard? a weekend? a week? years? Do you want to keep it on a mooring or on a trailer? Most important of all, what's your budget (for buying/ mooring/ maintaining...)

I have been messing about in boats for years; I grew up by the sea so as a group of school-friends we would pool our pocket money and charter a fishing boat for a day, my first boat was a little open rowing/motor boat when I was a student in Kingston which we used for wobbling to and from the pub (student house was on a river island), I got a little Shetland Cruiser when the then girlfriend decided she needed somewhere private to go for a pee (women are so fussy about that) - it was only 17' but we took it right up the Thames to Oxford. Current boat is a 36' steel motor cruiser which is lovely and comfortable capable of crossing seas rather than oceans, but very at home on rivers and estuaries. I also love sailing and would like to have a sailboat one day, but for now the Mobo is more practical, but I am lucky enough to have a friend with a decent sailing boat (now that can, and has, crossed oceans)

Presumably you don't have any friends who you could crew for or you would have mentioned it, but go on some of the boating forums (ybw is one of the best and has different forums for different likes), someone local will probably take you out, or go to the Southampton boat show - they have try a sail/try a mobo experiences

Here's a more positive quote than the "standing in a cold shower tearing up fifty pound notes" brigade have managed:-

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing," he went on dreamily: "messing—about—in—boats; messing—"

(Kenneth Graham's Ratty)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The two happiest days of your life.

The day you buy your boat.

The day you sell your boat.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Thanks all for the excellent advice and in general to.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    By "motor boat" you haven't said what size of boat you are interested in.
    But on the smaller size I'd say you cannot go wrong with the following Yam inflatable:

I have one, with a 15hp outboard motor, which I bought second hand for around £2000 8 years ago.
    They are awesome little things, with the chief advantage being that you can deflate them and fold them up into the back of an average car.
    Which gives you a lot of flexibility regarding location - you can literally turn up at a place with water anywhere, assemble the boat (takes 30 minutes) and off you go. No need for a launch ramp because the component parts individually are light enough to pick up and carry.

With this boat I've crossed the solent to the isle of wight several times, the kennet & Avon Canal through Reading town centre, and the Thames through central London waving at the tourists

The only downside is you are likely to get damp, if not wet. But that's only a problem if you're a pussy, right?

Edit: Forgot to say that the top speed is 18mph. Which is ample
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 8 June 2014, 09:08.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

I went to Gibraltar and did a couple of courses RYA Tidal up to Day Skipper.

Don't go and buy a power boat without at least trying the sails. For me, it is far more fun and satisfying.

Trafalgar Sailing

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    I've always had pipe dreams about having a boat.

These flights of fancy, however, are always snuffed out by that great aphorism which goes:

"The day I bought that boat was the second best day of my life. The best was the day I sold it"

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    I'm Power Boat 1, 2 and Safety Boat qualified, all taught by my sailing club. These courses are mainly aimed at RIB driving, but PB2 gives you an understanding of rules of the road.

If you are wanting something bigger - motor cruiser etc you may want to look at the 2 day RYA helmsman course.

Helmsman | Motor Cruising | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA - find a training centre near you and give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Brother in law had a powerboat (think it was 15-20ft with a 40hp Mercury outboard) just for days out in the North West with the kids. We got trained on a two day course both together
    Powerboating | Debdale Outdoor Centre | Manchester City Council

Teaches you the basics about boat handling, safety, etc, not just about power boats. Good fun.

Sounds like you want a cabin cruiser (£2800), or narrow boat (£65,000)

Norman 23 cabin / canal cruiser boat OFFERS | Little Hulton | Gumtree
    Boats for sale Manchester UK, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
    RYA Training | Courses & Training | RYA

Did my powerboat level 1 & 2 on a reservoir in Manchester. Shouldn't be allowed a boat without some sort of training. Oh, don't forget to attach the KS to you. BBC News - Cornwall speedboat crash victim 'doted on family'

Depends what floats your boat, fast, slow, narrow, cruising...
    Thanks, I'm based in Manchester. Did you have boat before doing the powerboat level 1 & 2? What boat did you go for?

I guess I'm looking for a cruiser that I can sleep in and do a bit of exploring (hope that doesn't sound too naïve). I'm just looking at forums now and people suggesting a cuddy as a first boat? From what I understand they don't have a full cabin.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Start here

RYA Training | Courses & Training | RYA

Did my powerboat level 1 & 2 on a reservoir in Manchester. Shouldn't be allowed a boat without some sort of training. Oh, don't forget to attach the KS to you. BBC News - Cornwall speedboat crash victim 'doted on family'

Depends what floats your boat, fast, slow, narrow, cruising...
    Last edited by anonymouse; 7 June 2014, 19:16.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    started a topic Motor boating

Motor boating

I'm on holiday, lots of boats and nice weather. So.......

I want to get into boating - I don't know anything about em but want to get into them. Anyone into boating and how did you start? Suggestions for first steps?

No jokes about motor boating please, unless they are funny and relevant.

Working...
X