• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UKIP/EU/Scottish Independence Free Zone"

Collapse

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    and I was correct in assuming they were Italian
    Well I'll be blowed.

All the Lima stuff I had gifted to me had a very Germanic flavour.

Even the model buildings looked like Swiss chalets with the result that the entrance to Lickey Bank ended up looking like the Grossglockner.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Did it have fully functional pantograph?
    As far as I recall yes, although they weren't automatic meaning you had to raise and lower them by hand. Also had working signals and I see they were taken over by Hornby eventually (and I was correct in assuming they were Italian). I suspect I had one of these sets: Locomotives SAR

Lima (models) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Overview

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I had a Lima set when I was a young lad in South Africa and always thought they were Italian. If I recall it also had overhead power cables as well...
    Did it have fully functional pantograph?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

One day, my East German aunt (ever a penny pincher) discovered a European brand called Lima (don't recall where they were from) who produced cut priced HO scale model railways based on the rail networks of various European countries. Now, HO scale rolling stock will run on OO scale track but the actual scaling of the models is different. Plus the fact that she would always buy me Yugoslavian locos and an incongruity began to develop which got bigger as each Christmas passed.
    I had a Lima set when I was a young lad in South Africa and always thought they were Italian. If I recall it also had overhead power cables as well...

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Hmm, you can blame the Peter Griffin troll for this shameless bump

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And you had enough money left over to splurge on a nice suit
    I've got a new one now - a real head turner:

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by mos View Post
    Eastern Europeans welcome, I hope? (inevitably followed by Troll, SAS and DA )
    30 something well shaggable Polish birds very welcome

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Does that mean I'm not allowed to post here unless I remove my logo?

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Now, HO scale rolling stock will run on OO scale track but the actual scaling of the models is different. Plus the fact that she would always buy me Yugoslavian locos and an incongruity began to develop which got bigger as each Christmas passed.

My noble, British steam engines were gradually being edged out by these out of proportion, cheap, plastic imposters with the result that my layout no longer looked like a cross section of the British Rail network but some ghastly pan European project that had gone wrong.
    Oh Dear ... Santa's workshop for you ...

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    I once had a beautiful OO gauge rail layout as a boy. I had it on an 8x4 piece of chipboard with a hole cut out in the middle where I would stand and control my little miniature world by twiddling the knobs on a bank of H&M Duette transformers.

I made a landscape out of chicken wire and papier mâché, had little model houses, people and farm animals dotted all over. Then there were the trains themselves - classic steam locos like Oliver Cromwell made by Wren from the finest die cast metal and all the rolling stock sporting the livery of the Great Western Railway company.

A lot of my layout had been built up from gifts I'd received at Christmas and for my birthday.

One day, my East German aunt (ever a penny pincher) discovered a European brand called Lima (don't recall where they were from) who produced cut priced HO scale model railways based on the rail networks of various European countries. Now, HO scale rolling stock will run on OO scale track but the actual scaling of the models is different. Plus the fact that she would always buy me Yugoslavian locos and an incongruity began to develop which got bigger as each Christmas passed.

My noble, British steam engines were gradually being edged out by these out of proportion, cheap, plastic imposters with the result that my layout no longer looked like a cross section of the British Rail network but some ghastly pan European project that had gone wrong.

I sold it in the end and bought my first recumbent bike.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 11 April 2014, 11:11.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    That didn't last long, did it? Still, good try!

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by mos View Post
    You missed out Scooterscot

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Independence for Tooting!

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Ahhh smell the fresh air!

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    started a topic UKIP/EU/Scottish Independence Free Zone

UKIP/EU/Scottish Independence Free Zone

Ahhh smell the fresh air!

Working...
X