• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Woking

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Woking"

Collapse

• Scruff
    replied
    My charming little golf club is there. If you are a golfer you are in Britain's Amen Corner

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Hi Gricer!

There is something ironic about Martians coming all that way just to destroy Woking, but dying because it was even worse than they thought.
    Hi DS

I honestly do have to say I rather like Woking.

I had my first IT gig there. In Old Woking, in fact. I lived in the St John's part of town which was very pleasant.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Worked there through most of 2012. Never really wandered out of the town centre but was alright.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    bit of a s*ithole for Surrey. thought it would be more affluent being so close to Lannndon - seems to be over run by Eastern Europeans...
    No idea if that is true or not but anything that annoys mos has my total approval!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Meh...

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Winchester doesn't agree.
    I should be an estate agent - seems acceptable to me - well after a bit of work

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Whoever's house it is they decided to spend the money on an Aston rather than a decent house
    No, that belongs to the estate agent.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Never been to Basingstoke but this seems OK

Seems to me, if you have the money you can live well in any area, what.
    Whoever's house it is they decided to spend the money on an Aston rather than a decent house

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    That property above seemed to be in the town itself.

But then most British town centres are pig fugly.

That's precisely the point I'm making, all town centres nowadays are ugly and infested by chavs from all over Europe, even places like affluent Cobham.
    So judging an area by its town centre is silly.
    Winchester doesn't agree.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    There are some nice villages around Basingstoke if that's your bag. Basingstoke itself is fugly incarnate, for the most part.
    That property above seemed to be in the town itself.

But then most British town centres are pig fugly.

That's precisely the point I'm making, all town centres nowadays are ugly and infested by chavs from all over Europe, even places like affluent Cobham.
    So judging an area by its town centre is silly.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

There are some nice villages around Basingstoke if that's your bag. Basingstoke itself is fugly incarnate, for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's all relative and, by relative, I mean Basingstoke.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It's all relative and, by relative, I mean Basingstoke.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    You really are Mr Thick from Thickington (or is it actually Woking that you escaped the delights of Wandsworth to?)- to recap the original post was
    If it is now your home town,then sorry you may have made a bit of a mistake
    It's not my home town no, and I don't know it very well, but I'll venture there might be as nice, leafy and affluent areas in Woking as where I live now.

Oh look here's a quite nice property in a nice area half a mile from the station

HTH, dunce.
    Last edited by sasguru; 11 April 2014, 16:17.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Not really - I'm just tired of stupid statements like "London's crap" or "Surrey's crap". Or "Anything's crap" that's not homogenous in any way, shape or form.
    It speaks of a particular kind of denseness.
    You really are Mr Thick from Thickington (or is it actually Woking that you escaped the delights of Wandsworth to?)- to recap the original post was
    First time I've visited - bit of a s*ithole for Surrey .. thought it would be more affluent being so close to Lannndon
    If it is now your home town,then sorry you may have made a bit of a mistake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X