• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Improbable Highs When Contracting"

Collapse

• swamp
    replied
    Driving to luxury holiday cottage in Devon. Mrs Swamp reviewed and signed contract on iPad while we were on M4. Hands-free call to agent to resign current contract. All good, will work with them again. Great holiday, rate rise, and investment banking gig here we come!

Top contracting moment.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Never happened to me. All my offers have come within 15 - 30 minutes of the interview, either while in the car or waiting for a train home. I guess my clients have been a bit more eagre to get in me than yours are
    By swapping 2 words, it makes you sound like a prostitute

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Me. I don't need to schedule multiple interviews.

All of my contracts so far have been incoming enquiries. I've decided whether I want to go for it, and if so got an interview scheduled. I've turned up, interviewed, walked out and my phone has started ringing.
    The only exception to this was last year when a client wanted two phone interviews - one with the project team in the UK and one with a director in the US.

I haven't had to scrabble about trying to find work, it's come to me.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Except I usually time my interviews to be one after the other and the offers come in the same day. Now who is
    Me. I don't need to schedule multiple interviews.

All of my contracts so far have been incoming enquiries. I've decided whether I want to go for it, and if so got an interview scheduled. I've turned up, interviewed, walked out and my phone has started ringing.
    The only exception to this was last year when a client wanted two phone interviews - one with the project team in the UK and one with a director in the US.

I haven't had to scrabble about trying to find work, it's come to me.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    I know you.
    No you don't......

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Although you've generally accepted and started the first contract by the time you've had the interview for the second.
    Bail out time ;-)

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Do I know you?
    I know you.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Although you've generally accepted and started the first contract by the time you've had the interview for the second.
    Do I know you?

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Except I usually time my interviews to be one after the other and the offers come in the same day. Now who is

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Never happened to me. All my offers have come within 15 - 30 minutes of the interview, either while in the car or waiting for a train home. I guess my clients have been a bit more eagre to get me in than yours are

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    True say!

Even better is when you are talking to one agent about an offer and you have another agent calling you at the same time (with an anticipated second offer!). Has happened to me twice and I was like: "Man I am in demand!"

I could feel the phone vibrating with text messages and voice mails while speaking to the first agent!
    Never happened to me. All my offers have come within 15 - 30 minutes of the interview, either while in the car or waiting for a train home. I guess my clients have been a bit more eagre to get me in than yours are

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    2 things happened here recently that made me laugh.
    They ran a large number of people down to last day recently and most just nodded but one chap got approached in a 'you are lucky, we have pulled up trees but managed to get you sorted for another 3 months' Like they were doing him a favour, to which he responded -
    'Oh, ok, I am fine thanks, new job starts Monday' This leaves a massive gap in the work.
    Another chap started a week ago, programme lead. Came in the following Monday, said look ' I have spent 7 days analysing all the requirements for this work, alongside the resources and the timescales being imposed without any reference to what is technical possible and I conclude there is NO chance this workstream will be successful so I am walking, thanks for your time'
    Just wish I had the 'stones' to do this as it is exactly the same situation I am in !
    I gotta say, that is brilliant. The 3 month thing also happened to me on a previous contract... it is certainly the best feeling when the client thinks they're doing you a favour with a minor extension, and you can turn around and say "No thanks" and walk into a higher paying contract right after!

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    2 things happened here recently that made me laugh.
    They ran a large number of people down to last day recently and most just nodded but one chap got approached in a 'you are lucky, we have pulled up trees but managed to get you sorted for another 3 months' Like they were doing him a favour, to which he responded -
    'Oh, ok, I am fine thanks, new job starts Monday' This leaves a massive gap in the work.
    Another chap started a week ago, programme lead. Came in the following Monday, said look ' I have spent 7 days analysing all the requirements for this work, alongside the resources and the timescales being imposed without any reference to what is technical possible and I conclude there is NO chance this workstream will be successful so I am walking, thanks for your time'
    Just wish I had the 'stones' to do this as it is exactly the same situation I am in !

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Nah, best feeling in contracting is when the agent phones after an interview and says - you are in, pure adrenaline and ego boost, everything after that point is usually a disappointment !
    True say!

Even better is when you are talking to one agent about an offer and you have another agent calling you at the same time (with an anticipated second offer!). Has happened to me twice and I was like: "Man I am in demand!"

I could feel the phone vibrating with text messages and voice mails while speaking to the first agent!

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Nah, best feeling in contracting is when the agent phones after an interview and says - you are in, pure adrenaline and ego boost, everything after that point is usually a disappointment !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X