• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More of a "pop" than a "boom""

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Gosh! Really OH? I thought you were a Landener through and through!
    Can't afford somewhere big enough and with a decent sized garden, plus there's nice countryside and beaches.

Also you can get a lot for your money in Devon, and in coming years with more people home working the price differences between the south east and elsewhere may reduce.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Congrats

Are you still based at the Cambridge Science Park?

I've been renewed until the end of the year, but once I move to Devon the weekly commute will be a drag.

Any suggestions for the quickest daytime route from Cambridge to, say, Bristol? I presume M11, M25, M4 isn't necessarily it on a friday evening at 6pm (although it is probably fairly optimal going the other way at 10pm on a sunday).

I plotted what looked quite a good one skirting Milton Keynes and down past Oxford towards Swindon. But I suspect that would involve literally dozens of roundabouts round M.K.
    Nick - Have a CCL

OH - We go down to Devon at least once a month and the worst bit is Tottenham to the A40 at Hangar Lane via A406 North Circular.

The A40-M25-M4-M5 bit is usually pretty alright, obviously there are rare occasions where it majorly f..ks up but generally home (N17) to my place in Devon is 3.5 hours.

I would suggest an early or late departure to avoid the peak rush hour on a Friday.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 8 April 2014, 07:51.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    As mentioned, I was looking forward to some well-earned bench time after this week.

Just been asked if I can do another quick project. Just another month, but hey, it's billable time

:ambivalentbanana:
    Well you're having a whether you like it or not!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Back in the dim & distant I worked in Letchworth.

MK & routes west are somewhat slow.

I was aiming for Tewksbury, so went via Chipping Norton & Stow on the wold, not to mention the delights of Upper & Lower Slaughter.

And yes, there are a shedload of roundabouts in MK.
    I wonder if the S is still missing from the roadsign...

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Nice one, NF Good to have some cheery news!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Same thing here - Just been told they want to drag out the dog end of my contract for another month so I know how you feel.

Congrats anyway
    And to you

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Same thing here - Just been told they want to drag out the dog end of my contract for another month so I know how you feel.

Congrats anyway

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    well done!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Congrats

Are you still based at the Cambridge Science Park?

I've been renewed until the end of the year, but once I move to Devon the weekly commute will be a drag.

Any suggestions for the quickest daytime route from Cambridge to, say, Bristol? I presume M11, M25, M4 isn't necessarily it on a friday evening at 6pm (although it is probably fairly optimal going the other way at 10pm on a sunday).

I plotted what looked quite a good one skirting Milton Keynes and down past Oxford towards Swindon. But I suspect that would involve literally dozens of roundabouts round M.K.
    No, haven't been in Cambridge since last year - I'm out in the wilds of the East Midlands now, within reach of home. Premier Inn shareholders are facing a lean year

No idea of what would be a good route from Cambridge to Bristol I'm afraid, except that there probably isn't one. There aren't really any good routes from Cambridge to anywhere as far as I can tell

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Have a

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And a beer:

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just been asked if I can do another quick project. Just another month, but hey, it's billable time
    Have a doughnut or two....

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    A month is a month is a month.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X