• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Comin' over 'ere, nickin' our weather!"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    One of the most common misunderstandings with sea level rise, is that as the level goes up, the column of air above it must go up as well.
    So the earths atmosphes is literally getting fatter.
    If it gets too fat it will eventually reach the sun and then the earth will be influxed with lots of positively charged immigrant ions.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Displacement, There are now more and much heavier ships in the sea, displacement occurs when an object is immersed in a fluid, pushing it out of the way and taking its place
    And don't forget fat people swimming in the sea.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    And Sponges! Sponges are sea-creatures, ....
    <daily mail mode>

I always thought they lived in council flats.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    And Sponges! Sponges are sea-creatures, no doubt the rise in water temperatures has increased their number, and so they're soaking up more seawater. I sense a PhD thesis coming on ....

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Displacement, There are now more and much heavier ships in the sea, displacement occurs when an object is immersed in a fluid, pushing it out of the way and taking its place
    Ships no, but apparently the volume of water behind the world's dams and reservoirs has a measurable effect on sea level. Counter-intuitive, but true, new builds since 1930 have prevented 3cm of SLR.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Don't forget more people than ever before who all go for a piss a few times a day!

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What I'm missing in this thread is nonsense about immigration, seeing as I expressly selected the original story for combining two of the favourite subjects for people to rant about without actually knowing much about the subject.
    ermahgerd immigrants!

Well I was a bit sceptical about climate change but now I've heard it'll mean lots of immigrants coming over well its time to get off the fence. Can we please double the fuel bills and triple the carbon tax?

Thanks. Phew. That was a close one.

Next week increased levels of co2 in the atmosphere will mean the return of the dinosaurs.

ermahgerd velociraptors!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    And if they are rising how much is due to human activity?

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    the British Isles will be among the few island oases in a world given over to desert, scrub and oceans devoid of life: "Everybody in Europe will be wanting to come here." Even people who live in currently delightful spots such as Cap d'Antibes and Siena. They aren't going to like Milton Keynes or Cumbernauld one bit.
    James Lovelock,everyone's favourite slightly dotty maverick scientist and inventor of the Gaia hypothesis. Though that's from 2007, I believe he has moderated his views a little in recent times.

Stuart Jeffries meets renowned scientist James Lovelock | Environment | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    What I'm missing in this thread is nonsense about immigration, seeing as I expressly selected the original story for combining two of the favourite subjects for people to rant about without actually knowing much about the subject.

British academic, speaking at launch of IPCC climate change report, warns that UK should brace itself for an increase in 'climate change refugees'

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    my understanding is that the sea level rise is 1.7 mm per year, and is not accelerating.

some of that, at least .3mm is an adjustment. i.e. someone just made it up

as we come out of an ice age, we would expect sea levels to rise, which they are. If any of that rise were due to co2, we would expect to see a change as co2 ramps up. but we dont.

except in models and some fevered imaginations.

all the dire predictions, like tuvalu being submerged and millions of climate refugees have already been falsified
    Last edited by EternalOptimist; 1 April 2014, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    RealClimate: Is Sea-Level Rise Accelerating?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    One thing we can be sure about: there's certainly an infestation of plankton.
    Although I can't claim that's due to global warming - possibly the infestation was always there.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    another good point DA.

Two in one day.

What happens is this - the glaciers started to melt at the end of the last ice age, causing sea levels to rise. When that stopped the land continued to rebound. So when seal levels are measured, an ajdustment is made, to take into account this rebound. 0.3mm per year is added.

when the eco loonies talk about sea levels, they dont realise they are actually talking about volume

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Are sea levels rising ?
    another good point DA.

Two in one day.

What happens is this - the glaciers started to melt at the end of the last ice age, causing sea levels to rise. When that stopped the land continued to rebound. So when seal levels are measured, an ajdustment is made, to take into account this rebound. 0.3mm per year is added.

when the eco loonies talk about sea levels, they dont realise they are actually talking about volume

Leave a comment:

Working...
X