• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Golf

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Golf"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I would concentrate on your long game first of all. Probably best to get yourself a 7 iron and head down to your local driving range as others have said.

Once you've got your long game working, you'll need to concentrate on your short game.

To perfect this, I'd recommend practicing on fast greens. The greens at my local club are as smooth as a baby's bum and are VERY fast. The way I play fast greens is to use a technique I call spot putting. Imagine you have a 30 foot putt. Then imagine your ball is just 1 yard from the hole and hit the ball with just enough force to make that imaginary hole. 9 times out of 10 the ball will have the legs to reach the hole but won't overrun.

However, as others have said I can't stress how imporant it is to have someone right behind you at all times as you get your golfing career on track.
    Hi Gricer!

I found that practicing with one's short irons is just as important as the long. This is because, having arrived anywhere within 100 yards of your target by whatever means, a good "pitch" can put you very close to the hole and get you "up and down".

Long clubs are about controlling your swing plane at speed. Short clubs are more about touch and feel, especially your putter. Putting practice, often neglected because it isn't as much fun as a hearty bit of swinging, is vital for getting your score down. As we golfers say, "Drive for show, putt for dough!"

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    This is very true and something that a god coach will emphasise.
    Is that Dhoogie?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Ok couple of things from me

1) You need to commit to give the sport at least 3 years before you expect to start being what would be remotely called good.
    I'd agree that it is not a sport that one can pick up quickly and easily. I have known people to become decent players within 18 months though

2) Before you get lessons or anything read a book - some pro's will try and teach you how to swing like them which is not the best way. You need to understand the mechanics of what you are trying to do and then learn to swing a club to do it.
    I disagree. I don't believe a complete novice will be able to achieve much from a book. Books can be useful for giving new ideas and potential things to try once you have a swing foundation.

(note you are not trying to hit a ball you are trying to consistently swing a club in the same way - the ball just happens to be in the way)
    This is very true and something that a god coach will emphasise.

5) Do regularly go to the driving range - however in a real round of golf maybe 50% of your shots will be putts - which most people rarely practice so try n practice them
    I would only regularly go to the driving range with a specific goal in mind and not just to aimlessly bash a 100 balls. Putting can come later. A beginner needs the swing fundamentals in place first and imho the best place to get that is through professional instruction.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Taking the p*** out of SASguru is a much easier and much more entertaining sport than golf

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Ok couple of things from me

1) You need to commit to give the sport at least 3 years before you expect to start being what would be remotely called good.

2) Before you get lessons or anything read a book - some pro's will try and teach you how to swing like them which is not the best way. You need to understand the mechanics of what you are trying to do and then learn to swing a club to do it. (note you are not trying to hit a ball you are trying to consistently swing a club in the same way - the ball just happens to be in the way)

3) You can get a decent set of golf bats for £150 (new) pay no more until you are good

4) 18 holes can be quite tiring - and what happens is that you end up rushing the last 5-6 holes cos you are bored/tired/pissed off - so start off just doing 9 holes.

5) Do regularly go to the driving range - however in a real round of golf maybe 50% of your shots will be putts - which most people rarely practice so try n practice them

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    I think Mark Twain had it right, golf is a good walk spoilt

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    OK, I'll bite...

I play golf, regularly. I am not sure where you are based, but there are umpteen facilities nationwide where you can "try before you buy"?

I am Surrey based and as a start, if you are nearby, Silvermere Golf centre in Cobham/Weybridge has an execellent introduction to golf

https://www.silvermere-golf.co.uk/golf/private-lessons/

I would highly advise NOT to buy a golf club and try and teach yourself, or take "Lessons" from a friend. Unlearning bad habits is nigh on impossible after you have developed the wrong muscle memory...

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    I can't help but think that there's something else going on in that pic
    Sweetie, I think thats the point

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Get lessons right from the start so that you don't teach yourself bad habits.
    THIS x 100!!!

Very difficult to change bad techniques once they are embedded.
    Might also be worth getting a book on just what causes slices and hooks etc. as a bit of knowledge of why they are happening can help you overcome them.

Good Luck with it!!

Leave a comment:

• Freaki Li Cuatre
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I would concentrate on your long game first of all. Probably best to get yourself a 7 iron and head down to your local driving range as others have said.

Once you've got your long game working, you'll need to concentrate on your short game.

To perfect this, I'd recommend practicing on fast greens. The greens at my local club are as smooth as a baby's bum and are VERY fast. The way I play fast greens is to use a technique I call spot putting. Imagine you have a 30 foot putt. Then imagine your ball is just 1 yard from the hole and hit the ball with just enough force to make that imaginary hole. 9 times out of 10 the ball will have the legs to reach the hole but won't overrun.

However, as others have said I can't stress how imporant it is to have someone right behind you at all times as you get your golfing career on track.

I can't help but think that there's something else going on in that pic

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Golf is so boring it needs to be played in the middle of a dinosaur park to make it interesting... says it all
    It's great for the kids. I often take my eldest there with it being so local, they do a good value family pass over the winter, something like £50 for unlimited use from November - February. It pays for itself in a weekend.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I go to the gym quite a bit (David Lloyd) and do martial arts (wing chun - will do black t-shirt this December).

I'm thinking more of a fun/social type of activity to get into on my impending extended summer holiday

Think I might start here - Jurassic Golf

I live quite near World of Golf as well and my David Lloyd has a course with classes as well.
    Golf is so boring it needs to be played in the middle of a dinosaur park to make it interesting... says it all

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But I bet if you got hit in the balls it would go bendy.

To add humour, something to laugh at?

No, although old Jack at my son's golf club did cross my mind when I wrote that. The portraits of past lady captains staring out at you in the clubhouse include several of his sexual conquests.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I'd be worried if my wood was bendy enough for that.
    But I bet if you got hit in the balls it would go bendy.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's a great sport you can do into old age.

And, except for some of the snobby clubs, it's good for social life. Especially if they have a ladies section.
    To add humour, something to laugh at?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X