• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things I've learnt today"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    We had similar confusion with the phrase "See you later" when we opened up an office darn sarf.

To us in Yorkshire it was simply an English version of "au revoir".

To the southern cissies it meant "later today".
    We southerners just say "laters" now to mean goodbye.

"See you later" is so 1970s.

Last edited by Doggy Styles; 9 March 2014, 18:48.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Your thread has reminded me how much I liked Lanzarote. Think it might be back on the holiday list very soon as there is little enthusiasm chez mudskipper for more exotic adventures.

Where did you stay? Any recommendations?
    We had a villa in Playa Blanca

If I had stayed in a hotel, I would have definitely gone for this or this.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Of course, you dont have to go abroad to have problems with language.
    I was brought up in the North West and when we said 'Next Monday', we meant the one in three days time. (i.e. it was always an integer <=7)
    Imagine my Chagrin when I joined the army and met some woolly-backs who meant the monday after next in ten days time. (i.e. it was always an integer >7)

I never did find out what they made of 'the monday after next'

woollies eh ?
    We had similar confusion with the phrase "See you later" when we opened up an office darn sarf.

To us in Yorkshire it was simply an English version of "au revoir".

To the southern cissies it meant "later today".

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Your thread has reminded me how much I liked Lanzarote. Think it might be back on the holiday list very soon as there is little enthusiasm chez mudskipper for more exotic adventures.

Where did you stay? Any recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    I always find it rather rude when I make the effort to speak the lingo and they reply in English. Because I enjoy learning languages, I actually find this business of English being the innernational language rather tiresome.
    It can be a pain, but if you get fluent enough this won't happen so often.

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical
    Thomas Jefferson, 1779
    Tell the TV licencing authorities that!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Ah yes, I do like a nice colourful bush. Lovely.
    So a suitably shaded merkin is the order of the day chez Zippy?

Merkin Madness! Cindy Barshop Launches Feather & Fur Lady Parts | Spa Week Daily (not entirely SFW)

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

So, as I gaze out across this incredible, alien landscape, occasionally punctuated with white stuccoed buildlngs festooned with the most vibrantly coloured bougainvillea, I find myself hoping that this will be the beginning of a lasting relationship.
    Ah yes, I do like a nice colourful bush. Lovely.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Is it me or is Gittins Gal one of Doggy Style's sockies?
    Never!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Is it me or is Gittins Gal one of Doggy Style's sockies?

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    You seem to be having a fine time out there GG! I could do with a steak after reading that!

In the style of the Sausage Sandwich Game, are you away with girl friends, or with Gittins, or with someone else?
    Well, DS, read on and all will be revealed for today is my final day and within moments of typing this I shall be en route to the airport.

So, as I gaze out across this incredible, alien landscape, occasionally punctuated with white stuccoed buildlngs festooned with the most vibrantly coloured bougainvillea, I find myself hoping that this will be the beginning of a lasting relationship.

For what started out when three IT contracting gals from Southampton jumped onto a plane to get a bit of winner sinshine has now become something less fickle and I feel a bond has been developed between myself, this island and its peoples and I can totally see why thousands of people leave the gloomy climes of northern Europe to make Lanzarote their home.

But one must never forget the other side of the coin and the devastating impact that the events of 2008 had on this region. Wherever I went I saw evidence of past hopes being dashed; networks of unsurfaced roads with rusting lamposts but no houses; a vast tract of wasteland with only the sign announcing "Se vende parcela deportiva" indicating that this was once destined to become a huge golf course. All very sad.

As the little chap who came to clean our villa everyday said while throwing his arms up in the air "¡No vinieron los turistas!". The tourists never came, and that says it all really.

It leaves one hoping that the very fragile recovery that is now in place in this region and, indeed, the Iberian Peninsula, will go from strength to strength and will not get derailed by geopolitical events going on elsewhere in the world.

¡Hasta la proxima, Lanzarote!
    Last edited by Gittins Gal; 9 March 2014, 10:42.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You seem to be having a fine time out there GG! I could do with a steak after reading that!

In the style of the Sausage Sandwich Game, are you away with girl friends, or with Gittins, or with someone else?

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Inneresting little fact I learned tonight when we went out for dinner.

I don't know if any of you have ever come across the chimichurrya saue before.

I'm sure I've seen it in various establishments across the metropolis but it was on the menu tonight.

As an accompaniment to a steak.

Now, our charming waiter (from Asturias) told us that it was invented in Argentina by a gentleman called James (Jimmy) Curry but the locals couldn't pronounce his name properly so his eponymouse sauce became Chimichurry.

Ain't that what travelling is all about?

Wonderful stuff, just wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I've never been before either.

Yes I got a few holes in, but the crazy variety. It's good fun isn't it, getting your angles right, putting it in the right tunnel, that kind of thing.

I had a go at the water sports as well. Wow, some of those rides can be hairy! Have you had a go at that?
    very good DS

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I'm with the Wooly Backs on this one, whoever they may be.

The Welsh?
    no no no.
    They are Welsh What-Old-Greg-Saids.
    A woolly-back is a personage from outside Liverpool but who aspires to be a scouser. Like close, but no cigar. like

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Of course, you dont have to go abroad to have problems with language.
    I was brought up in the North West and when we said 'Next Monday', we meant the one in three days time. (i.e. it was always an integer <=7)
    Imagine my Chagrin when I joined the army and met some woolly-backs who meant the monday after next in ten days time. (i.e. it was always an integer >7)

I never did find out what they made of 'the monday after next'

woollies eh ?
    I'm with the Wooly Backs on this one, whoever they may be.

The Welsh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X