• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Speed Cameras

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speed Cameras"

Collapse

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    A better chance is that if you prove that camera was not calibrated - you have right to request such information however they will most certainly only disclose it if you go to court, ...
    I believe if a request is made in writing they would be obliged to provide copies of the evidence to be used in prosecution. The particular Camera is licensed for use, Calibration tickets, etc all form part of evidence.

I recall reading about contested speeding case where bloke requested the photographic evidence from Gatso. Turned up at court first time, spoke to court official stating that the requested evidence had not been supplied to defence, case adjourned. Turned up at court second time, evidence still not supplied to defence, case dismissed.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    I thought that if no one puts there hands up to the speeding offence (everyone says they can't remember) the legal owner of the vehicle gets prosecuted.

Am I wrong?
    You're not wrong. That's what some people were trying to fight in the European courts as it literally is guilty until proven innocent.

Leave a comment:

• Forumbore
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money
    Did you have to go to court to do this?
    No they drop the case

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I thought that if no one puts there hands up to the speeding offence (everyone says they can't remember) the legal owner of the vehicle gets prosecuted.

Am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money
    they've changed this now and the law says you are responsible unless you can prove who was driving.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by Forumbore
    The easiest way of escaping camera convictions is to say that you cannot remember who was driving at the time. I have got out of six of them to date

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A bit like IR35. If they think you'll fight and struggle they will drop it.

Leave a comment:

• Forumbore
    replied
    The easiest way of escaping camera convictions is to say that you cannot remember who was driving at the time. I have got out of six of them to date

Leave a comment:

• ImNotFromIndia
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    After documenting the evidence that the 30mph signs and marking were outside the Road Traffic Act and also by measuring the white marking at the speed camera that tuned out to be 30 centimetres too short I informed the Police that I will be challenging their evidence. Subsequently they have dropped the case.

Clean licence, no fine
    Good on ye ...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    The speed camera issue is a mockery. If it was a safely issue then the council would spend money on maintaining the 30 mph limit signs.

I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding though one of the new forward facing cameras. 35 mph in a 30mph dual carriageway. Being rather peeved, I looked up some helpful information on the Net. As a result I went over my route with a camera and photographed the signs. To my amassment some major signs were missing, other obscured some missing. I now drive over the route regularly to keep a record of those signs that are illegal and not maintained according to the road traffic act that clearly states the phrase 'erect and maintain' It is not enough for speed limit signs to be installed correctly in the first place if they then disappear, become damaged or illegible, or are even obscured from view for example by foliage that is not trimmed back. The Road Traffic Act makes it clear that drivers cannot be convicted of speeding if the signing requirements of subsections (1) and (2) are not met. In fact the 30 mph signs are so covered in foliage they can not be seen and they have been like that for months.

I have decided that although the easy option is to pay up, I will challenge this in Court. Further more, the new style camera is not calibrated on site making potentially inaccurate and also there is a case pending in the European Court regarding the compulsory signing of the evidence form.

I the down side is that I don’t rust solicitors and barristers, I have seen them make such a hash of things and they may not be as aggressive as me in cross examining the prosecution. What to you guys, gals and mixed gender think?

After documenting the evidence that the 30mph signs and marking were outside the Road Traffic Act and also by measuring the white marking at the speed camera that tuned out to be 30 centimetres too short I informed the Police that I will be challenging their evidence. Subsequently they have dropped the case.

Clean licence, no fine

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Well you've got no worries then.
    On a similar note, I noticed that information sent to me by the AA is “also available in brail” . I wonder if the DVLA licences are also available in brail.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    plead guilty to speeding on the grounds of diminished responsibilty !

Well you've got no worries then.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    and not a word from assguru ?

obviously the topic is too grown up and sensible for him to coment on

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The formality of swearing in is not important, so stop pollluting thread with off topic info.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    plead guilty to speeding on the grounds of diminished responsibilty !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X