• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Message to Pakistan cricketers"

Collapse

• stackpole
    replied
    I love the idea of a new ball for every run scored. It shows original, blue-sky thinking.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Missed this thread due to the ASBO crowd. Alexei, you have surpassed yourself for the amount of drivel posted on a subject in one thread. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    That's seen them off, fleet.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Put a bin with lots of balls.

Polishing the ball seems to me an attempt to make it behave differently - if that's legal then similar attempts should also be legal, sounds like a rather serious inconsistency.
    The rule is that you can shine the ball, but not do anything else to it. That's a rule and it has to be obeyed.

Cricket also has another rule about legs being in front of the wicket :

1. Out LBW

The striker is out LBW in the circumstances set out below.

(a) The bowler delivers a ball, not being a No ball

and (b) the ball, if it is not intercepted full pitch, pitches in line between

wicket and wicket or on the off side of the striker’s wicket

and (c) the ball not having previously touched his bat, the striker intercepts

the ball, either full-pitch or after pitching, with any part of his

person

and (d) the point of impact, even if above the level of the bails,

either (i) is between wicket and wicket

or (ii) is either between wicket and wicket or outside the line

of the off stump, if the striker has made no genuine

attempt to play the ball with his bat

and (e) but for the interception, the ball would have hit the wicket.

2. Interception of the ball

(a) In assessing points (c), (d) and (e) in 1 above, only the first interception is to

be considered.

(b) In assessing point (e) in 1 above, it is to be assumed that the path of the ball

before interception would have continued after interception, irrespective of

whether the ball might have pitched subsequently or not.

3. Off side of wicket

The off side of the striker’s wicket shall be determined by the striker’s stance at

the moment the ball comes into play for that delivery.

More esoteric rules next week, pals !!!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    how can it be possible to cheat in such situation
    You are Russian alexei. I am sure you can work it out!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    That is about 100 new balls, each of which needs to be brought onto the field, which will waste of time.
    Put a bin with lots of balls.

Polishing the ball seems to me an attempt to make it behave differently - if that's legal then similar attempts should also be legal, sounds like a rather serious inconsistency.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Excuse me? Art of the Bowler? You mean art to damage the ball or to scratch or to polish it in a way that is nothing else but cheating?

How many runs in a single day, say 1000? Well get 1000 balls, use them once only then sell to people who attend the game - if they sold 100000+ tickets, then they will surely sell these once used balls at a profit.
    Alexei, I have a lot of problems with your idea.

Mainly, it is more far more complicated and unfair than the current system, which actually works quite well.

Secondly, why change with every run? Why not every over, or every ball? What is your logic?

Thirdly, tests usually see about 300 runs a day, at about 100 scoring shots (I assume you wouldn't change the ball four times after a boundary, and I assume you don't include runs given for extras). That is about 100 new balls, each of which needs to be brought onto the field, which will waste of time.

Fourthly, and most importantly, batsmen don't want to face a new ball throughout the innings, they want to see it off. The older ball's seam flattens and softens, stopping it moving off the pitch so much, and the ball itself gets softer making it easier to play.

BTW you implied that polishing one side of the ball is cheating. It is perfectly legal.

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Don't feed the trolls...........

Originally posted by Troll
    Its probally too deep for your limited attention span

your right, weeks to play one series that ends in a draw - riveting !

Leave a comment:

• djfoot
    replied
    Originally posted by lORD lUCAN
    This can be achieved in other places. My good friend has the right idea though. He's off to watch the test in Oz later this year. If your gonna waste time watching it, may aswell go somewhere nice.
    Barmy Army! Barmy Army! Actually Rose Bowl is fantastic. Only 30 minute walk from home, and pass KFC/Burger King/McD/Pub on the way.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Actually polishing the ball *is* perfectly legal.
    Make it illegal then - _any_ attempt to do anything with the ball apart from using it for its designed purpose should be banned, this would prevent cheats from tampering with the ball as well as providing new revenue stream by selling many balls to those who want, for a reasonable price they would fly off after the game.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I think the ball tampering was quite innocent, he was merely poring the hydrogen peroxide into the ball to make it up to correct weight and squeezing the toothpaste tube to clean the ball, and it wasn’t a real fuse connected to the ball it was a piece of string that accidentally stuck to it, but I wasn’t too sure about him shouting Ala Akbar when he was bowling.

Leave a comment:

• lORD lUCAN
    replied
    Originally posted by djfoot
    I tend to agree with you, but then I only go for the beer and a suntan...
    This can be achieved in other places. My good friend has the right idea though. He's off to watch the test in Oz later this year. If your gonna waste time watching it, may aswell go somewhere nice.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Excuse me? Art of the Bowler? You mean art to damage the ball or to scratch or to polish it in a way that is nothing else but cheating?

How many runs in a single day, say 1000? Well get 1000 balls, use them once only then sell to people who attend the game - if they sold 100000+ tickets, then they will surely sell these once used balls at a profit.

Actually polishing the ball *is* perfectly legal.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You are not problem solvers guys - I am, so you should read the solution rather than try to clung to current situation that seems to only encourage cheating.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    <snip>.
    As I said, clearly a (another) game you know nothing about. Have you ever tried considering what other people are telling you before you reply with some form of drivel?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X