• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheerful for a Tuesday (not)"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

I have a loyalty card.

Get points for all the contraceptives & antibiotics I buy for cash.

There's some loose lizards you've been boning there, zeity!

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not the one rushing in to criticise everything the government says, you hypocritical bint. Wind my neck in; you're a giraffe in comparison.

And I'll take your descent to personal attacks as accepting you've lost the argument but would rather bluster than just admit it. Thanks.
    Again, in what way am I criticising everything the government says? I mean, there's really no argument to be won when it comes to debating with you because your rejoinders are always so tangential to the topic in hand that I really struggle to see any relevance in what you say.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post

Perhaps you could qualify who exactly is going to perform this monitoring?

I have visions of the recyclists counting the bottles in my bin on a Monday morning and slapping a hefty fine on me for having exceeded the statutory maximum weekly alcohol intake.
    I use a fitbit, it helps me keep track of the number of footsteps I do each day. The target being greater than 10,000.

I also use an app called Sleep Time. The alarm goes off within a window of time I set so as not to wake me when I'm in deep sleep. You've no idea how bad it is for you to be woken when you're in deep sleep.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And of course constant exposure to the guff spouted by pontificating old Jeremiahs like yourself is quite stressful and stress might, just might, be carcinogenic in itself.

So wind your self righteous neck in for once
    I'm not the one rushing in to criticise everything the government says, you hypocritical bint. Wind my neck in; you're a giraffe in comparison.

And I'll take your descent to personal attacks as accepting you've lost the argument but would rather bluster than just admit it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    What part of a hypothetical discussion is too complicated for you? Or use of "might" in that sense, as a placeholder?

You stated that exercising "in your opinion" counter-acted the effects of drinking, and you're complaining I used the word "might"? Since you have no training in this field, your opinion is totally worthless. Whereas medical statistics are simply statistics, not opinion.
    And of course constant exposure to the guff spouted by pontificating old Jeremiahs like yourself is quite stressful and stress might, just might, be carcinogenic in itself.

So wind your self righteous neck in for once

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There's that word again....
    What part of a hypothetical discussion is too complicated for you? Or use of "might" in that sense, as a placeholder?

You stated that exercising "in your opinion" counter-acted the effects of drinking, and you're complaining I used the word "might"? Since you have no training in this field, your opinion is totally worthless. Whereas medical statistics are simply statistics, not opinion.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Another reason not to shop in Tesco then.
    I shop at multiple supermarkets.

The loyalty people hate me.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    My Uni tutor was involved with this for Tesco when they first started, profiling is already done. So if tesco et all sell to the NHS and health insurance co's I'd have to go back to cash-only and home brewing
    Another reason not to shop in Tesco then.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Exercising can burn off the extra calories and prevent obesity, which is linked to increased cancer risks, but it doesn't prevent whatever more direct risks alcohol might be linked with... like how you can train to counter the reduced lung efficiency from smoking but that won't do squat about the carcinogens themselves.
    There's that word again....

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    They won't have to check your bin, just run an NHS program to read your itemised shopping bills, recorded as part of your loyalty card data.
    My Uni tutor was involved with this for Tesco when they first started, profiling is already done. So if tesco et all sell to the NHS and health insurance co's I'd have to go back to cash-only and home brewing

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why? So long as you get exercise, it's ok to go to the pub IMO.
    Exercising can burn off the extra calories and prevent obesity, which is linked to increased cancer risks, but it doesn't prevent whatever more direct risks alcohol might be linked with... like how you can train to counter the reduced lung efficiency from smoking but that won't do squat about the carcinogens themselves.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I have visions of the recyclists counting the bottles in my bin on a Monday morning and slapping a hefty fine on me for having exceeded the statutory maximum weekly alcohol intake.
    They won't have to check your bin, just run an NHS program to read your itemised shopping bills, recorded as part of your loyalty card data.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    The Grauniad is running with this as well this morning.

Lots of references to taxes on sugary drinks

It's all pure conjecture, really.

Take this quote:

Eating fruit and vegetables may protect against some forms of cancer, although the World Cancer Report says it "does not appear to be as strongly effective against cancer as initially believed"

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    I have arthritus from 60 and parkinsons from 80 on both sides to look forward to - if I get that far. One way easy jet to Switzerland to down some shotz

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Perhaps time to replace visits to the pub with visits to the gym instead.
    Why? So long as you get exercise, it's ok to go to the pub IMO.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

perhaps there's scope for this. Much which begins with monitoring our health using preventative measures.
    Perhaps you could qualify who exactly is going to perform this monitoring?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X