• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Borked Temperature control on Shower"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Don't you have a man about the house to do these jobs?

I leave all the DIY to my OH, though he's trying to get out of clearing out the attic this weekend by claiming not being able to climb a ladder after getting his jolly bag caught in his zip yesterday morning
    Jeeves is on holliers atm, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Don't you have a man about the house to do these jobs?

I leave all the DIY to my OH, though he's trying to get out of clearing out the attic this weekend by claiming not being able to climb a ladder after getting his jolly bag caught in his zip yesterday morning

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    WD40 seems to be doing the job, will give it a couple more days.

Thankfully we have a shower in the ensuite which is newer......

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    WD40 has been applied, will give it a while to work, failing that I'll be taking it apart and cleaning it

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Oh blimey, now I feel sorry for you.
    Luckily I had a good warchest and found a really good renovation company who had the right people at his disposal who did some excellent work and at a reasonable price

The thing that matters now is we have a lovely house that is pretty much up to spec, apart from a few bits and pieces, but the major work was out of the way before we moved in.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    That's not the worst.

Already had to replace the floor in the shower due to the cost cutting efforts of the previous owners, they re-tiled the bathroom and didn't remove the original tiles and also didn't reseal the tiles, so they leaked downstairs to the kitchen ceiling which part had to be redone as well.

We also had to rewire the house as well before moving in because the previous owners took short cuts in doing the wiring themselves, some of which included not bothering earthing and using the wrong wiring which had started to get frazzled in places.

Then there was the leak in the roof, which had to be re-lined and possibly another leak in a terrace, which will have to be done.

I would like to get the bathrooms re-done but that budget has been blown and preference is now with replacing the 30 year old double glazing.

Dutch people are great fans of DIY and using the cheapest materials possible, which we found out the hard way.
    Oh blimey, now I feel sorry for you.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Given the state of maintenance, it's going to be interesting when you bleed the radiators.
    Thankfully no problems there They had a new boiler installed ( thankfully not by themselves) and some of the radiators are new.

Though there will be an interesting recorded letter heading the way of the previous owners.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Given the state of maintenance, it's going to be interesting when you bleed the radiators.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    If that's the worst you have then chill, current house I had to replace the bathroom floor upstairs because of an ancient leak and replace the plumbing and dry the kitchen out because a small lake had formed due to rubbish plumbing (not mine!). Oh and rip up + replace a patio to solve damp issues.

got to recommend a water softener.
    That's not the worst.

Already had to replace the floor in the shower due to the cost cutting efforts of the previous owners, they re-tiled the bathroom and didn't remove the original tiles and also didn't reseal the tiles, so they leaked downstairs to the kitchen ceiling which part had to be redone as well.

We also had to rewire the house as well before moving in because the previous owners took short cuts in doing the wiring themselves, some of which included not bothering earthing and using the wrong wiring which had started to get frazzled in places.

Then there was the leak in the roof, which had to be re-lined and possibly another leak in a terrace, which will have to be done.

I would like to get the bathrooms re-done but that budget has been blown and preference is now with replacing the 30 year old double glazing.

Dutch people are great fans of DIY and using the cheapest materials possible, which we found out the hard way.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to add kettles and pans of boiling water to the bath because it was too cool.
    That would probably not work in the shower but it might be worth a try

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I think I'll be investing in a new shower.

Literally moved into the new house, so need to work out what's what and also what's possible here in cloggers The cloggage is also to do with the fact the previous owners never cleaned or descaled anything properly.
    If that's the worst you have then chill, current house I had to replace the bathroom floor upstairs because of an ancient leak and replace the plumbing and dry the kitchen out because a small lake had formed due to rubbish plumbing (not mine!). Oh and rip up + replace a patio to solve damp issues.

got to recommend a water softener.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    if the surround is ok and you have the cartridge out it should cost about £50-£100 for a new cartridge (plumbers merchant or eBay). saves all the making good if you change the whole shower.

get a water softener!
    I think I'll be investing in a new shower.

Literally moved into the new house, so need to work out what's what and also what's possible here in cloggers The cloggage is also to do with the fact the previous owners never cleaned or descaled anything properly.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Have tried viakal, (leaving it on for a considerable time) and while it's shifted stuff on the outside, it doesn't seem to improve, will purchase some wd40 tomorrow and see if that works. In the meantime I'll be visiting the local bathroom showroom to check out showers.
    if the surround is ok and you have the cartridge out it should cost about £50-£100 for a new cartridge (plumbers merchant or eBay). saves all the making good if you change the whole shower.

get a water softener!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X