• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 50/50 Fat / Sugar

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "50/50 Fat / Sugar"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Such TV programs no longer interest the masses anymore. X-factor, Britain's got talent are the crowed pleasers these days.

Today we all the glory without the effort, yeah baby.
    There is still stuff on BBC4. Recently we've had two things on Feynman, a film about Hawking (I think it was Hawking) and a thing with Brain Cox where he actually went pretty deep into some complex stuff like Path Integrals and Feynman Diagrams.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I still record the RI lectures every year. My eldest is hungry for knowledge so loves that stuff. Bought cosmos and the ascent of man on DVD as well. Slightly dated now though.
    Recorded them, haven't watched. They went downhill for a bit, how are they this year?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yeah. Click is pants.
    WDS

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Long, long ago you/we were kids, with curiosity and little knowledge, so anything informative was magical.

These days, we are better informed, so the programmes seem a tad obvious and bland.

I too grew up on Horizon, Equinox, Sky at Night, RI lectures, Carl Sagan, Ascent of Man, et al.
    I still record the RI lectures every year. My eldest is hungry for knowledge so loves that stuff. Bought cosmos and the ascent of man on DVD as well. Slightly dated now though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    And they had great teeth.

I used to love Tomorrows World too. There's nothing really like that on any more.
    Yeah. Click is pants.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Quite.

Long long ago, it used to be an informative documentary programme.

Mostly narrated by Paul Vaughn.
    Long, long ago you/we were kids, with curiosity and little knowledge, so anything informative was magical.

These days, we are better informed, so the programmes seem a tad obvious and bland.

I too grew up on Horizon, Equinox, Sky at Night, RI lectures, Carl Sagan, Ascent of Man, et al.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I used to love Tomorrows World too. There's nothing really like that on any more.
    Such TV programs no longer interest the masses anymore. X-factor, Britain's got talent are the crowed pleasers these days.

Today we all the glory without the effort, yeah baby.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    No, but they were rarely constipated.
    And they had great teeth.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Did the paleo/primal people have long lives?
    No, but they were rarely constipated.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Could also depend on how long its popularity lasts. The Atkins diet was all the rage not too long ago but you rarely hear of it now. Personally, I am going to implement the primal diet as I see little that could go wrong with its focus on lean meats, fresh fruit and veg and some nuts and limiting wheat and dairy based products to occasional treats.
    Did the paleo/primal people have long lives?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Could also depend on how long its popularity lasts. The Atkins diet was all the rage not too long ago but you rarely hear of it now. Personally, I am going to implement the primal diet as I see little that could go wrong with its focus on lean meats, fresh fruit and veg and some nuts and limiting wheat and dairy based products to occasional treats.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    QED used to be good, until they turned it into a programme about sick children.
    I totally forgot that one. Rings a bell...

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    What constitutes a fad diet, though? I am currently looking into the paleo/primal diets and they look pretty common sense, and would avoid foods exemplifying the above combination, given their opposition to most starchy/wheat-based foods.
    I think the moment you put a fancy word before "diet" it's a fad diet? I mean if you knew nothing about it and someone mentioned "primal diet" you'd assume it was a fad diet

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Jesus fook, is that your understanding of it?

This place really is at bursting point with idiots.
    Its good to have you back sas.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post

So basically fad diets don't work, and you should try to avoid foods which are high in fat and sugar.
    What constitutes a fad diet, though? I am currently looking into the paleo/primal diets and they look pretty common sense, and would avoid foods exemplifying the above combination, given their opposition to most starchy/wheat-based foods.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I used to like Equinox as a kid. I think programs like Equinox, Horizon and even Tomorrow's World, as well as the R.I. Xmas Lectures, are a big reason I got into science. I was strongly encouraged (read: forced) to watch R.I. every year...
    For old times sake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKRjiIssQg

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I used to like Equinox as a kid. I think programs like Equinox, Horizon and even Tomorrow's World, as well as the R.I. Xmas Lectures, are a big reason I got into science. I was strongly encouraged (read: forced) to watch R.I. every year...
    QED used to be good, until they turned it into a programme about sick children.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X