• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to say and when"

Collapse

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by madhippy
    I seem to have had a similar experience to you earlier in the year (except .net with java/vb etc in past ~10yrs experience)...
    Thats the problem, no .Net.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't lie - you will get caught: always say truth, just the truth, but not necesserily the whole truth - its not court, noone should expect you to tell all your company secrets or your plans.

Leave a comment:

• smiler
    replied
    Lone Gunman that is a good bit of advice. I definitely have to get used to lying through my teeth about other opportunities, totally contrary to my principles of course but needs must... My permanent offers have lapsed now anyway.

madhippy that is interesting. I think I'm just going to hold my nerve and keep trying for the contract. I know if I go back to permiedom I'm going to regret what might have been.

Leave a comment:

• madhippy
    replied
    I seem to have had a similar experience to you earlier in the year (except .net with java/vb etc in past ~10yrs experience)...

was prepared to go from 250/day since I anticipated getting first contract would be hard ...

wasn't getting anywhere with contract interviews - agents seemed keen - wetting themselves over cv but not alot in the way of interviews ... went to a few permie interviews which were particularly interesting ... either did well, got an offer or turned it down after finding out more about the job ...

took permie job in end - after 2/3 months of dealing some of the worst code I've ever seen thinking of leaving and trying the contractor route again ... might still have to deal with crap but don't have to care!

blah

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Been looking for a few weeks and dont want to give anything away/muddy the waters
    I get round the problems in one hit.

'Well I only started looking on monday, finished my last contract last friday, this is the first nibble I have had. Sounds perfect too'

hth

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    and you dont report to anyone ? oh you must be the chairman then !
    Oh dear (TM). Not terribly bright, are you?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I can usually clarify that one for him: I'm not committed to his job, or to anything else until I've signed the contract. I went contracting so that I could stop pretending that I really wanted that career move, and the agents could stop pretending that they were offering me anything interesting except money.

So yes, I always have something else on the go.
    You are experienced and know what you are doing, some of the advice is for juniors here.

A lot of agents will not put you forward if they think there is a good chance you will turn the offer down.
    It is a waste of their time and resources and it puts them in a poor light with their client.

Play your cards tight to your chest, give nothing away. Give them the impression they have your full attention.
    tulip on them later.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    and you dont report to anyone ? oh you must be the chairman then !

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    yeah where is the pleb !

Probably justifying his ENOOORMOUS salary up his managers @arse !
    I am the manager, you arse.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by smiler
    Also EDS could have been a potential contract employer.
    Are you interested in whether I'd ever touch EDS with a barge pole?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    £500 a day seems a high rate for a first time contractor, most agencies will expect to be ripping you off.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    rate too high (£500 per day)?
    Doing what?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Its okay rate for a high class call out girl for "imaginary girlfriend experience", allegedly of course...

Leave a comment:

• smiler
    replied
    Thanks for advice - nothing is easy!

I thought that my problems might be:
    summer period so maybe hiring is on the quiet?
    first time contractor so agents reluctant to chance it?
    as stated made the mistake of applying for permie jobs as well and wasted time money and effort on those interviews. Also EDS could have been a potential contract employer.

I did have one contract offer from a former client but it would be awkward as it is on a project with my former employer. That would probably really annoy them!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    ... but if you say you have lots then the agent may doubt you are commited to his job.
    I can usually clarify that one for him: I'm not committed to his job, or to anything else until I've signed the contract. I went contracting so that I could stop pretending that I really wanted that career move, and the agents could stop pretending that they were offering me anything interesting except money.

So yes, I always have something else on the go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X