• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Manchester United

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Manchester United"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    He did it with Adnan - so I don't think he is against it. The thing that drives me nuts is why he keeps playing Young ahead of Nani, Adnan, Zaha (gone to cardiff now I know) and just about any other winger in the squad! Everytime I hear young is either starting or coming on I let out a massive scream!
    It's frustrating for the neutral as well h

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Established star players don't, but younger up and coming ones do I think. Which is where Fergie had & Wenger and Mourinho have an advantage. I think Brendan Rogers is starting to build the same sort of rep, he's blooded a lot of new talent at Liverpool so younger players will look at that and think yeah I have a chance of making it here. You would think Moyes would do the same if the talent were waiting in the wings, which kind of implies that it isn't.
    He did it with Adnan - so I don't think he is against it. The thing that drives me nuts is why he keeps playing Young ahead of Nani, Adnan, Zaha (gone to cardiff now I know) and just about any other winger in the squad! Everytime I hear young is either starting or coming on I let out a massive scream!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    When Man City missed out on the CL to spurs a few years ago, they went out and signed Carlos Tevez, David Silva and YaYa Toure (among others). Players don't care about the manager (speaking generally here), money talks, and at the moment, Utd are struggling to be heard.
    Established star players don't, but younger up and coming ones do I think. Which is where Fergie had & Wenger and Mourinho have an advantage. I think Brendan Rogers is starting to build the same sort of rep, he's blooded a lot of new talent at Liverpool so younger players will look at that and think yeah I have a chance of making it here. You would think Moyes would do the same if the talent were waiting in the wings, which kind of implies that it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    It also didn't help his cause by shiping out all the backroom staff. The team has been trained and prepared by the backroom staff - Moyes has replaced all of this with his team - partially from Everton and supplemented by Nevile and Giggs.
    Agree on this point - Going from having the likes of Queiroz and Mulensteen to the vastly inexperienced (at coaching level) Giggs & Neville cannot be a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    But that does not explain why they can't finish off the teams that they are dropping points to. I don't mind losing to the ones at the top, it's dropping points to the ones at the bottom that I don't like.

A problem Moyes has is his ability to attract the best players. If you are playing for one of the top teams are you going to jack that in and come and play for a struggling United side managed by a bloke you have never heard of with more than a passing resembalence to Gollom!

It also didn't help his cause by shiping out all the backroom staff. The team has been trained and prepared by the backroom staff - Moyes has replaced all of this with his team - partially from Everton and supplemented by Nevile and Giggs.
    I guess it's a combination of a lot of things. They didn't strengthen in the summer, a lot of their 'big time' players are past their best, and Moyes isn't getting as much out of the players as Fergie used to. If I list their squad man for man, they come accross as a good mid-table team (with two very good strikers). So losing/drawing games to the lower placed teams isn't a complete surprise.

I don't think replacing the backroom staff is such a big issue. If you beleive reports in the paper, whenever a manager moves to a new club he wants to take a team of staff with him. Maybe he made too many changes too quick though.

When Man City missed out on the CL to spurs a few years ago, they went out and signed Carlos Tevez, David Silva and YaYa Toure (among others). Players don't care about the manager (speaking generally here), money talks, and at the moment, Utd are struggling to be heard.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I think that's part of the problem, but not the whole story. All the teams currently above Utd strengthened to some degree or other over the summer. Utd brought in Fellani.

Although I'm sure Fergie would have the Utd squad playing better then Moyes has, I'm not so sure it's a case of Utd getting worse, more that their competitors have gotten better.
    But that does not explain why they can't finish off the teams that they are dropping points to. I don't mind losing to the ones at the top, it's dropping points to the ones at the bottom that I don't like.

A problem Moyes has is his ability to attract the best players. If you are playing for one of the top teams are you going to jack that in and come and play for a struggling United side managed by a bloke you have never heard of with more than a passing resembalence to Gollom!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
    True, they even had Ryan Bertrand playing against Arjen Robben in the final if I remember correctly!
    They did indeed - he is a mid table EPL player at best!

It was pure luck that they managed to win it, I think United have a better chance with their attacking line up.

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Chelsea's squad was the weakest in the last 8 and they still managed to win it. They had second rate players in various positions, John Terry was suspended, Lampard was playing every game, Ramires was scoring goals for them, even Torres managed to score that equaliser against Barca! They got annihilated by Bayern in every aspect except for the scoreline. This is football, anything can happen!
    True, they even had Ryan Bertrand playing against Arjen Robben in the final if I remember correctly!

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    That's because you're a fan and therefore delusional. Their best bet is to hope that the FA cup final is between two top four teams and they get a Europa league place. Of course this means cheering for City in the league cup final as well.
    Chelsea's squad was the weakest in the last 8 and they still managed to win it. They had second rate players in various positions, John Terry was suspended, Lampard was playing every game, Ramires was scoring goals for them, even Torres managed to score that equaliser against Barca! They got annihilated by Bayern in every aspect except for the scoreline. This is football, anything can happen!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I think that's part of the problem, but not the whole story. All the teams currently above Utd strengthened to some degree or other over the summer. Utd brought in Fellani.

Although I'm sure Fergie would have the Utd squad playing better then Moyes has, I'm not so sure it's a case of Utd getting worse, more that their competitors have gotten better.
    I think they are worse.

Ferdinand and Evra are showing their age, Vidic is not what he was before his knee injuries, and Fletcher isn't what he was before his illness.

When you add that Smalling and Jones haven't shown why a top team like United bought them, and Rafael never was very good, it says something when people are considering Johnny Evans to be their best defender.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think they do have a chance - worse teams have got to the semis and final before.

Also you must realise that it is easier to focus on just the CL than both the domestic leagues, CL and domestic cup competitions as others teams will be doing. The Premier league top 4 finish has now gone....
    That's because you're a fan and therefore delusional. Their best bet is to hope that the FA cup final is between two top four teams and they get a Europa league place. Of course this means cheering for City in the league cup final as well.
    Last edited by doodab; 13 February 2014, 13:29.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Even if they play their arses off they don't have the talent in the squad to win it.
    I think they do have a chance - worse teams have got to the semis and final before.

Also you must realise that it is easier to focus on just the CL than both the domestic leagues, CL and domestic cup competitions as others teams will be doing. The Premier league top 4 finish has now gone....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There are too many of uniteds players not playing for Moyes the same way they did for Fergie.
    Had they not played for Fergie they would not be playing at all (at ManU).

With Moyes they keep being played...

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied
    I know chelski did the same a few years ago, but they had a team that was underperforming and not one that was just crap. There are too many of uniteds players not playing for Moyes the same way they did for Fergie. The chances of us winning it are somewhere between none and sod al! Alsothough I'd like to be proved wrong obviously!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I know chelski did the same a few years ago, but they had a team that was underperforming and not one that was just crap. There are too many of uniteds players not playing for Moyes the same way they did for Fergie. The chances of us winning it are somewhere between none and sod al! Alsothough I'd like to be proved wrong obviously!
    Even if they play their arses off they don't have the talent in the squad to win it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X