• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Telescopes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Telescopes"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    I'm now putting together the customary pre purchase shortlist spreadsheet in google docs. Surprisingly easy on a smartphone.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    We've got one of these: Children's Telescopes - Skywatcher Infinity-76 Child's Telescope by OVL

Kids love it, I could do with a filter though as the moon is a little too bright sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If you can afford it go for a refractor rather than a reflector, inch for inch they'll always be better.
    While thats true, good refractors are expensive, so I can get a lot more inches of cassegrain reflector for my money, and I already have good SLR lenses that will do what a cheap small reflector will. The cassegrain design makes it more compact as well which is good for me as I dont have a huge amount of space.

I've ruled out newtonians as although you can get a lot for your money a 6" or bigger one is just too bulky.
    Last edited by doodab; 13 January 2014, 08:35.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I recall using binoculars the shakes were so bad I thought I had Parkinson's.

You need a tripod before any length of time if you're wanting to observe detail.

I did have a reflector meade once when I lived in west coast of Scotland, I used to pack it in the back of me wee punto and drive along the loch side until there was no hint of sodium pollution. Freezing but fun.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    I agree with EO re: binocs.

If you are new to astronomy, just buying a high-spec scope doesnt really make sense.
    Binocs, wide-field view, orients you and teaches you to navigate your way around the sky.

Once familiar with the sky generally, a scope helps you to zoom into specifics, such as planets and the moon.

I have a celestron.
    As I dont have tracking, had to learn to set up the mounts properly, or your target is difficult to keep in the cross-hairs.

Good luck with it.
    Yes, I already have some binos but they are quite small aperture so I may invest in some more appropriate ones, I was looking at these pentax 10x50 ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...qid=1389551961

I still want the scope though as I want to have a go at making some decent photos, as well as the fun of working out how to use it, navigate the sky etc.
    Last edited by doodab; 12 January 2014, 18:43.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Astronomy is looking up.

You're a star

Shall we share a cab?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    If you can afford it go for a refractor rather than a reflector, inch for inch they'll always be better.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I think I may take up astronomy. There are some right bargains on eBay.
    Astronomy is looking up.

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    I agree with EO re: binocs.

If you are new to astronomy, just buying a high-spec scope doesnt really make sense.
    Binocs, wide-field view, orients you and teaches you to navigate your way around the sky.

Once familiar with the sky generally, a scope helps you to zoom into specifics, such as planets and the moon.

I have a celestron.
    As I dont have tracking, had to learn to set up the mounts properly, or your target is difficult to keep in the cross-hairs.

Good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes I definitely want a motorised equatorial mount so I can experiment with astrophotography. Hadn't thought of the remote viewing potential though, that is a cool idea, I wonder how that will work with live view on my DSLR.
    The reason for a CCD webcam is that you can do very long exposures to view deep sky objects. Doesn't work with CMOS - but there are some workarounds, I hear.

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have an eight incher, it's great , but blooming unweildly

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I have an eight incher, it's great , but blooming unweildly

I recently started using binos. I would definately recommend using binos

coupled with an ipad app to home you in - brilliant

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    On an astronomical theme, what's the prognosis for Northern Lights tonight? It's been cloudy here (holmfirth) for the last couple of nights but appears to be clear now. Don't mind stopping up if there's a good chance of seeing something - have I missed the boat?

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Get one with automatic tracking (to account for the earth's rotation) It's also worth getting old CCD webcam, so, with a remote control for the telescope, you can view the sky on your laptop from the comfort of your living room sofa.
    Swish ....

yes I agree about the tracking - I borrowed a telescope years ago and spent ages setting it up and getting it focused on the moon, but the lunar git kept moving - most annoying.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Get one with automatic tracking (to account for the earth's rotation) It's also worth getting old CCD webcam, so, with a remote control for the telescope, you can view the sky on your laptop from the comfort of your living room sofa.
    Yes I definitely want a motorised equatorial mount so I can experiment with astrophotography. Hadn't thought of the remote viewing potential though, that is a cool idea, I wonder how that will work with live view on my DSLR.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X