• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I hate Car Parks!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hate Car Parks!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Victoria

One of those stackers with the lift in Victoria.

did the entry ticket trick once in Brighton, I'd parked there for 3 days, wheeeling the trolley back with loads of gear across the entrance and out pops a ticket. 3 days parking for £2.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    How they do it in Croydon...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Hired a car in Cuba. I drove to Havana and parked the car in the street. A traffic warden came over and oped the door for me. “good afternoon Sir. You can park here all day, don,t be concerned about you car, it will be safe.” I was expecting him to ask for a tip, but no it was all genuine as they were intructed to so do for touists. Can’t imagin that happening in Croydon.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    My garage is like that.
    You forgot to login under your "threaded" account to post this...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I hear in Japan they much more space efficient parking - you drive car into some kind of slot in a lift which would go away and then deliver it to you when needed, this way its easier to park (faster) and cars are grouped together closer (height wise) thus packing more cars into same space.

Why is it not done in London? Perhaps because if its done then suddenly there will be twice as many spaces available and parking prices will have to drop?
    They do that on the continent as well. My garage is like that.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    Gull Wing is the way ahead, or if not possible then close your eyes and imagine Daisy Duke waiting to be rescued, then jump out of the window.

what is it with contractors driving poor peoples cars.
    The Polo is not my only car, but it is the one I park in Luton.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I hear in Japan they much more space efficient parking - you drive car into some kind of slot in a lift which would go away and then deliver it to you when needed, this way its easier to park (faster) and cars are grouped together closer (height wise) thus packing more cars into same space.

Why is it not done in London? Perhaps because if its done then suddenly there will be twice as many spaces available and parking prices will have to drop?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Car parks with spaces so narrow that you can't even half-open the doors even on a VW Polo FFS!
    Gull Wing is the way ahead, or if not possible then close your eyes and imagine Daisy Duke waiting to be rescued, then jump out of the window.

what is it with contractors driving poor peoples cars.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    I was at an NCP in Bournemouth, paid the fee and then there was a queue of cars to get out, when it got to the car in front and including mine and others; it was too late. An argument with the attendant and mother motorises resulted in all of us all having to pay-up for an extra hour. Some towns it is cheaper to book B&B and use the parking space than to use an official car park.
    If there isn't enough time between paying and getting out then the attendant has set the 'countdown clock' wrong. You should have complained!

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    It's at the discression of the operator how much time they give. But most will be 30-60 minutes e.g. NCP or council run ones. Also you have a similar time from paying to getting your car out.
    I was at an NCP in Bournemouth, paid the fee and then there was a queue of cars to get out, when it got to the car in front and including mine and others; it was too late. An argument with the attendant and mother motorises resulted in all of us all having to pay-up for an extra hour. Some towns it is cheaper to book B&B and use the parking space than to use an official car park.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964
    They do print your number plate on the ticket at Heathrow now.
    For the kind of ridiculous money they charge there (min £2.30 for 30 mins ffs!) they would probably want your DNA!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    How do they know its a car - just use radar to see if there is a big object or number plate recognition that does not appear to be used as otherwise they would put it onto cards.
    They do print your number plate on the ticket at Heathrow now.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    How do they know its a car - just use radar to see if there is a big object or number plate recognition that does not appear to be used as otherwise they would put it onto cards.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    Car parks with spaces so narrow that you can't even half-open the doors even on a VW Polo FFS!
    The two door Polo doors are longer than most Saloon cars.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Yes I actually wanted to ask for some time - what stops taking new ticket at the barrier and using it on exit? Not something I would do (as it would be classed as fraud), but just curious if they had thought about it.
    Mostly they wont issue a ticket if there isn't a car standing at the barrier. I found this out when my window got stuck shut: I still had to drive right up before I got out to get a ticket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X