• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rise of the slow driving early morning commuter"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    It's an XK8 Jag engine. If I want to I can break every speed limit in the uk before I have left second gear but yes sitting behind a twat doing 20 mph up the a38 is impossible. No I don't want to compensate for their twat nature by using the low ratio side of the box I just want road users to get on with it and drive to the speed of the road.... In that case it would be a mix of 40 and 60 but never 20.... In fact 20 mph in clear weather would probably be classed as an offence...

Many many years ago, while on a test drive, my wife pointed out a fault on the supercharged RangeRover vogue. Her point was that it's windy wipers seem to flicker and flap on the motorway. The sales man pointed out that maybe her speed at the time was not helping... Her reply without missing a beat was well it works on my Saab

Some people drive faster than others... Judging by your two crates you should probably walk
    Mr Toad lives.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    It's an XK8 Jag engine. If I want to I can break every speed limit in the uk before I have left second gear but yes sitting behind a twat doing 20 mph up the a38 is impossible. No I don't want to compensate for their twat nature by using the low ratio side of the box I just want road users to get on with it and drive to the speed of the road.... In that case it would be a mix of 40 and 60 but never 20.... In fact 20 mph in clear weather would probably be classed as an offence...

Many many years ago, while on a test drive, my wife pointed out a fault on the supercharged RangeRover vogue. Her point was that it's windy wipers seem to flicker and flap on the motorway. The sales man pointed out that maybe her speed at the time was not helping... Her reply without missing a beat was well it works on my Saab

Some people drive faster than others... Judging by your two crates you should probably walk
    Remember thing in local paper. Some OAP got done for driving about 10 miles at speeds between 12 and 18 mph (top speed!). Busy urban road so no chance to overtake, caused a huge tailback.

Apparently, his excuse was he liked that speed, didn't like going fast and fastest he ever went even on motorway was 40mph. People like that don't deserve a licence. Causes danger for others.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Still doesn't make sense. Presumably it's not 30mph in first gear however you have selected it (auto or manual).

As for the second - the idea you couldn't get a V8 Disco to go uphill at any damn speed (as fast or slow as you like) is laughable.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    occasionally I've been driving home, back from work well after midnight (the only time where it's better use a car vs public transport), to make sure I didn't fall asleep (and to get there quickly) I drove fast which got the adrenalin pumping.
    2-3AM, well at home already, long after I've arrived I still couldn't get to sleep, with the adrenalin still circulating.
    Up at 6:30AM due to kind, totally knackered.
    Needless to say I've switched my routines for being driven in a taxi

Leave a comment:

• mall
    replied
    Weight of their foot

driveway to motorway 40mph.

It is the weight of peoples(pensioners) feet when driving an automatic.

As for motorway driving, there is too much freight and too much car traffic sharing the road.

Makes it impossible to drive correctly, merging back into the slow lane etc.

When motorways were invented most cars would never get to 70. Now everyone and his dog can go faster.

Its why you have a long queue in the fast lane from jnc 12 M6 all the way to haydock.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Back to the thread in question, middle lane plodders on the M25 early morning commute (or any time come to that) Why ???!!!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Our Discovery 3 can do about 30 Mph on tick over if you use the manual gear selection on the auto gearbox. There's also the problem that a Kia will go up the Mendips at 20mph but a 2 tonne v8 wants a better run up than that…
    Still doesn't make sense. Presumably it's not 30mph in first gear however you have selected it (auto or manual).

As for the second - the idea you couldn't get a V8 Disco to go uphill at any damn speed (as fast or slow as you like) is laughable.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me - what sort of speeds are you talking about?
    Our Discovery 3 can do about 30 Mph on tick over if you use the manual gear selection on the auto gearbox. There's also the problem that a Kia will go up the Mendips at 20mph but a 2 tonne v8 wants a better run up than that…

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You've got the wrong poster there. MF's former career was as a child actor......
    IIRC, he was the fat kid on the roller coaster on Jim'll Fix It.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I wrote to him in the early 80s with my scout troop. We did a funny thing having a picnic on a roller coaster , it got shown and I still have my badge.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    You've got the wrong poster there. MF's former career was as a child actor......
    IIRC the judge actually said that he had been impersonating a child on-line.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The sad story of the guy was just an illustration of what can go wrong when people perceive you are pulling their chains. His demise was down to him slowing down because there was a child in the car (the thugs in question took that to mean He stamped on his brakes to piss them off) The rest was grim. We know this because thats what he told his wife before he went to bed with a headache when he got home...

Tailgating is also a subjective issue. There are clearly the tossers that now all seem to have moved from BMW to Audi's and just seem to like to be able to read the serial numbers on your number plate. But theres also the situations where even with your foot off the accelerator, your car ticks over faster than the car in front of you. You can't pull back from them because you would need to engage reverse to do so!

Also after using radar controlled cruise control for a few months, I can see why certain people start to dial the distance setting down to minimum settings because if you are doing 80 in the outside lane with the distance set at 75 foot from the car in front all of a sudden you find loads of muppets diving into your gap at 65mph
    I had that exact issue with radar cruise - someone would fill the gap and the radar cruise would stand on the brakes :-)

oh and
    But theres also the situations where even with your foot off the accelerator, your car ticks over faster than the car in front of you. You can't pull back from them because you would need to engage reverse to do so!
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me - what sort of speeds are you talking about?
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 10 January 2014, 16:27.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Funny cos I think of both you and NLUK as a combination of Roland off Grange Hill and the kid with the squeeky voice off the disney film (?)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    +1 unfortunately while I imagine him as a combination of Victor Meldrew and Frank Spencer I can't quite marry up the accurate image of 100% Victor Meldrew with 100% Frank Spencer.....
    Funny cos I think of both you and NLUK as a combination of Roland off Grange Hill and the kid with the squeeky voice off the disney film (?)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Only problem here is the OP

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Only problem here is the OP
    +1 unfortunately while I imagine him as a combination of Victor Meldrew and Frank Spencer I can't quite marry up the accurate image of 100% Victor Meldrew with 100% Frank Spencer.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X